300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6, 12, or 24 pack?

Ok here goes a few details. As some of you know I recently moved from Utah to Callifornia. I am in the process of hiring for Riverside county. I turned in my background packet. I am waiting for my interview. I saw an unmarked car parked exactly where I would have parked as a background investigator if I were checking on an applicant who lived at my residence. I asked my aunt about it and she said that my neighbor was a retired cop. Fast forward to today I was doing some work in the yard and saw this neighbor walking a friend out to his car and he had a corona light in hand. I took the liberty to introduce myself and learned he worked in san bernardino but didn't say anything about being a cop until I asked if he worked for the PD when he said yes. He didn't seem like he wanted to talk but i'd like to be on his good side and just visit with him about any advice he may have for me. I don't really know any of my neighbors and need to meet them for when the BI's do my neighborhood visit.

My question is what amount of corona light should I take as a offering to maybe get a chance to talk to him and befriend him? I won't be drinking any cause I don't drink.

Sorry a long post but I felt it necessary to provide details to get accuraate responses.
    Not affiliated with my avatar. My opinions are all mine and do not represent anybody else. All names are fictional and coincidental if there is someone in the world with aforementioned name.

I actually have another idea, if you don't mind. Strike up casual conversations with ALL your neighbors. Dropping off a case of beer for a guy who works at your future department looks like a VERY cheap way of bribing him (this is coming from a 22 year old college student!). You mentioned earlier that all your neighbors will be interviewed, so why not get friendly with ALL of them? have them over, SHARE that case of beer with them (individually or as group type BBQ thing) and go from there.

Comment

At least get a good Mexican beer, take over some Modelo Negra...

Comment

Throw an end of the summer barbeque and invite all of your neighbors. They won't all come, but at least that way you won't look cheap and like you are trying too hard.

If the guy didn't want to talk about it, he's probably tired of people asking about his job. Get to know him as a person rather than a particular person to help you pull your career along.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Presence View Post
          Throw an end of the summer barbeque and invite all of your neighbors. They won't all come, but at least that way you won't look cheap and like you are trying too hard.
          +1

And don't forget the limes!

Comment

I personally would never throw a BBQ for all my neighbors. Well, maybe if I hit the lotto and had more money than I knew what to do with.

If you won't drink any, bring a 6-pack.

Comment

Thanks all for the idea of a BBQ but i'm not rich and want to do individual meetings with neighbors. I don't have the kind of money to throw a BBQ for neighbors and my aunt and uncle who I live with and their 5 kids. I plan on doing some recon to find out more about my other neighbors and the reason i'm using corona light is because it's what I saw him drinking. He retired from a different agency and i'm not trying to be cheap but i'm not rich either. I'm also not trying to use him to advance my career because I want to be a good neighbor. (IE I turn my music down when i pull in, turn off the headlights at night, quietly close the door) I just want to get to know him better. Yes i'll benefit but that's not my intent really. Just icing on the cake.
              Not affiliated with my avatar. My opinions are all mine and do not represent anybody else. All names are fictional and coincidental if there is someone in the world with aforementioned name.

Comment

Originally posted by natejpg View Post
                Ok here goes a few details. As some of you know I recently moved from Utah to Callifornia. I am in the process of hiring for Riverside county. I turned in my background packet. I am waiting for my interview. I saw an unmarked car parked exactly where I would have parked as a background investigator if I were checking on an applicant who lived at my residence. I asked my aunt about it and she said that my neighbor was a retired cop. Fast forward to today I was doing some work in the yard and saw this neighbor walking a friend out to his car and he had a corona light in hand. I took the liberty to introduce myself and learned he worked in san bernardino but didn't say anything about being a cop until I asked if he worked for the PD when he said yes. He didn't seem like he wanted to talk but i'd like to be on his good side and just visit with him about any advice he may have for me. I don't really know any of my neighbors and need to meet them for when the BI's do my neighborhood visit.

My question is what amount of corona light should I take as a offering to maybe get a chance to talk to him and befriend him? I won't be drinking any cause I don't drink.

Sorry a long post but I felt it necessary to provide details to get accuraate responses.
                First mistake Corona LIGHT. If you are going to take some Corona's take the regular one no light and don't forget the LIME.
                sigpicTrain Hard!!! Fight Smart

Comment

Originally posted by nr5667 View Post
                  At least get a good Mexican beer, take over some Modelo Negra...
                  +1

Definitely take a nicer beer if you're going to go that route. I'd recommend Alaskan Amber....and yes, you can find in CA. (I lived in San Diego for a couple of years)
                  "All that is, ever
                  Ever was, will be, ever
                  Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

If I were your neighbor, as long as it wasn't Colt 45.... I'd drink it. If it's a free drink from a new neighbor who's packin a smile and a handshake, I'm in a good mood.

Glad I don't live in some of these other neighborhoods. Snobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post
                      If I were your neighbor, as long as it wasn't Colt 45.... I'd drink it. If it's a free drink from a new neighbor who's packin a smile and a handshake, I'm in a good mood.

+1.

The worst beer I ever had was wonderful.
                      “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Hell be the hit of the neighborhood, throw a keg party, then when the cops show up they can all have a beer with you, not only will you get to meet all the neighbor’s but see your potential co workers and get a feel for how they work.
                        It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Doooooooooh!
                          Last edited by nr5667; 09-07-2008, 08:04 PM. Reason: Oops

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post

I'm no connoussior (uh, yeah!), but if a beer has the word "light" in its title, I know it'll be bad...

Comment

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
                              +1.

The worst beer I ever had was wonderful.
                              That's what I'm talkin about....

I got a retired couple in their late 50's across from me. One day I was diggin' a hole in my front yard in the hot SoCal sun, and she brought one over.
                              Wasn't my brand, but hey... see my previous post. Man.... it was good. And SOOOO cold.

BTW... That long neck was empty before the first drop of dew hit the grass.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5199 users online. 334 members and 4865 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X