Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=pvtbuddie;1397545]In this video, Governor Palin, while in town, is adressing the Church she grew up in. .She is speaking informally, greeting several old friends, and talking about her family. .Beginning at 3:23, not at 3:51, she sais, "...My oldest, my son Track, he's a soldier in th United States Army, now. He's an infantry man, and, um.. (and so Track sends his love, also, to his former nannie, Christy,) and track,.. Pray for our military! He's gonna be deployed in September to Iraq. [3:40] Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right also for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out [3:51] on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for: that there is a plan, and that that plan is is God's plan, so, um bless them with your prayers, your prayers of protection over our soldiers. And speaking of Track,..."

Originally posted by To Simplify The Quote
    Pray for our military ... , that our leaders ... are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to ... [pray] for: that there is a plan, and that that plan is is God's plan

This is not someon claiming to speak for God, and to say what it is He wants our nation to do. .This is a woman asking people to pray tat God will be involved in our national actions, and that He will be leading those who are commanding her son, as well as others.

You stole my thunder, nice job. I guess I am a religious kook too. I pray everyday I go to work that God gives me the wisdom to make the right decisions and the strength to endure his will. Maybe I'm nuts, but I doubt it.
    "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

^
      ^
      ^
      don't you mean your nucking futs?

just kidding...trying to lighten this up a bit
      dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

Originally posted by pvtbuddie View Post

This is not someone claiming to speak for God, and to say what it is He wants our nation to do. .This is a woman asking people to pray that God will be involved in our national actions, and that He will be leading those who are commanding her son, as well as others.

I support the war in Iraq, however I hope that our leaders did not send our troops over there for:

our national leaders, are sending them out [3:51] on a task that is from God
        I would rather our leaders have sent our troops out to protect our country from terrorism, or to free the Iraqi people from a ruthless dictator, but the idea that our troops are out there doing religious tasks seems like a stretch in logic.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
          I support the war in Iraq, however I hope that our leaders did not send our troops over there for:

our national leaders, are sending them out [3:51] on a task that is from God
          I would rather our leaders have sent our troops out to protect our country from terrorism, or to free the Iraqi people from a ruthless dictator, but the idea that our troops are out there doing religious tasks seems like a stretch in logic.
          And you don't think that God is concerned with these same things?
          See M-11's post, post no. 10, that starts out "I am not religious."

And the more correct quote is
          "Pray ... that our nationa leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God."
          Last edited by pvtbuddie; 09-05-2008, 08:16 PM.
          lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.

Comment

Sounds like "Gods Work" to me.

M-11.

P.S. My Orders must have been a misprint, they said "Tasked by CENTCOM" not "Task from God". I'll notify my Admin people...
            ROFL

"SEMPER INFIDELIS"!

Ski
            Last edited by RangerSki; 09-05-2008, 08:15 PM.
            "A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by pvtbuddie View Post
              And you don't think that God is concerned with these same things?
              This war should have nothing to do with God. That is my belief. If it does, then why should soldiers in our military who are atheist, or who believe in different gods support it?
              What is Perseverance?
              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                This war should have nothing to do with God. That is my belief. If it does, then why should soldiers in our military who are atheist, or who believe in different gods support it?
                Because to not be involved in things that have anything to do with God, they would have to somehow end their own immortal existence? They walk on the grass in this world God made - and they'll do so even if Sarah Palin prays for rain, won't they?
                Last edited by pvtbuddie; 09-05-2008, 08:26 PM.
                lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.

Comment

When I was 14 I went to a Baptist Church with a friend from high school. I ended up getting "saved."

In order to get baptized I had to go through 8 weeks of preparation through night classes.

One day the teacher (an assistant minister) was talking about how God is always on the side of Christians in war. Because war did not fit with my idea of Christian love, nor least of all the Beatitude from the Sermon on the Mount: "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God." (I had read the Bible from front page to last before I even entered this class.)

I raised my hand to ask, in all innocence:

"Whose side is God on when Christians are at war with each other?"

The man sputtered and stammered. He was very angry that I was so impudent as to ask such a question. I was supposed to sit there and just accept what he said. He was the minister. What he said was the truth, and if I wanted to be a Christian I had to accept it.

Well, that was my last day at that church. I never went back. Never got baptised. And never will.

Bob Dylan's "With God on Our Side"

Oh my name it ain't nothin'
                  My age it means less
                  The country I come from
                  Is called the Midwest
                  I was taught and brought up there
                  The laws to abide
                  And that the land that I live in
                  Has God on its side.

And the history books tell it
                  They tell it so well
                  The cavalries charged
                  And the Indians fell
                  The cavalries charged
                  And the Indians died
                  Oh the country was young
                  With God on its side.

The Spanish-American
                  War had its day
                  And the Civil War too
                  Was soon laid away
                  And the names of the heroes
                  I was made to memorize
                  With guns on their hands
                  And God on their side.

The First World War, boys
                  It came and it went
                  The reason for fighting
                  I never did get
                  But I learned to accept it
                  Accept it with pride
                  For you don't count the dead
                  When God's on your side.

When the Second World War
                  Came to an end
                  We forgave the Germans
                  And then we were friends
                  Though they murdered six million
                  In the ovens they fried
                  The Germans now too
                  Have God on their side.

[This verse is skipped over in the recording]
                  I've learned to hate Russians
                  All through my whole life
                  If another war comes
                  It's them we must fight
                  To hate them and fear them
                  To run and to hide
                  And accept it all bravely
                  With God on my side.

But now we got weapons
                  Of the chemical dust
                  If fire them we're forced to
                  Then fire them we must
                  One push of the button
                  And a shot the world wide
                  And you never ask questions
                  When God's on your side.

In a many dark hour
                  I've been thinkin' about this
                  That Jesus Christ
                  Was betrayed by a kiss
                  But I can't think for you
                  You'll have to decide
                  Whether Judas Iscariot
                  Had God on his side.

So now as I'm leavin'
                  I'm weary as Hell
                  The confusion I'm feelin'
                  Ain't no tongue can tell
                  The words fill my head
                  And fall to the floor
                  If God's is on our side
                  He'll stop the next war.

The fact that human beings continue to wage war reflects our imperfection. It has nothing whatever to do with God. The god I know is wearily shaking her head over our continued inability to hear her and our arrogance in believing she has chosen us to kill others.

[The "we" refers to all human beings, not just Americans.]
                  Last edited by rubyrose; 09-06-2008, 01:12 AM.
                  Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                  Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                  A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post
                    The fact that human beings continue to wage war reflects our imperfection. It has nothing whatever to do with God. The god I know is wearily shaking her head over our continued inability to hear her and our arrogance in believing she has chosen us to kill others.

[The "we" refers to all human beings, not just Americans.]
                    God does not relish war-making. At the same time, while God COULD intervene, God can not and will not intervene unless invited to do so through prayer by someone asking for God's intervention. That is the result of mankind seeking independence from God's love by seeking choice over submission to God.

Your minister, while his heart may have been in the correct place, and like so many of those in the US and all across the world, adhere to an affiliation simply because they are born or indoctrinated into that affiliation without any true research into it, spoke out of blind faith. Faith is good, but only when you've placed your faith in truth.

Comment

When I was 14 I went to a Baptist Church with a friend from high school. I ended up getting "saved."

In order to get baptized I had to go through 8 weeks of preparation through night classes.

One day the teacher (an assistant minister) was talking about how God is always on the side of Christians in war. Because war did not fit with my idea of Christian love, nor least of all the Beatitude from the Sermon on the Mount: "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God." (I had read the Bible from front page to last before I even entered this class.)

I raised my hand to ask, in all innocence:

"Whose side is God on when Christians are at war with each other?"

The man sputtered and stammered. He was very angry that I was so impudent as to ask such a question. I was supposed to sit there and just accept what he said. He was the minister. What he said was the truth, and if I wanted to be a Christian I had to accept it.

Well, that was my last day at that church. I never went back. Never got baptised. And never will.

So you didn't get baptized or "saved" b/c of an assistant minister?...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RCKoutWurGLKout View Post
                        God does not relish war-making. At the same time, while God COULD intervene, God can not and will not intervene unless invited to do so through prayer by someone asking for God's intervention. That is the result of mankind seeking independence from God's love by seeking choice over submission to God.

Your minister, while his heart may have been in the correct place, and like so many of those in the US and all across the world, adhere to an affiliation simply because they are born or indoctrinated into that affiliation without any true research into it, spoke out of blind faith. Faith is good, but only when you've placed your faith in truth.
                        I'm glad to see we have so many theologians on site

Comment

Originally posted by UrNameHere263 View Post
                          I'm glad to see we have so many theologians on site
                          Negative; not a theologian in any sense of the term. I do not "study" God.

Comment

I like this thread
                            stay safe and always remember to look up!!

"You've been talking to yourself in the mirror again haven't you ?

chat room

Comment

Sarah Power! Get some!

I already got my bumper sticker!
                              The All New
                              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by RCKoutWurGLKout View Post
                                There's nothing wrong with believing in the rapture. It's good to know there are people who will take a stand in what they believe in, knowing they will be ridiculed by many in the country. I'd rather have someone who will take a stand for their beliefs in the face of overwhelming opposition, than someone who will try and appease everyone. Don't you remember what your parents told you about the whole sometimes doing the right thing is the unpopular thing .
                                Santa Claus is more realistic than the rapture. If anyone really believes that people are going to suddenly vanish, planes fall out of the sky, cars crash, people disappear into this air right before your eyes, etc. then they need an immediate inpatient psych hospitalization with massive amounts of IV Haldol for delusions.

To give you an idea what a scam this is Rev.Hagee, a major rapture proponent, has repeatedly given time frames when it will happen and when it doesn't they just change their mind and give a new date. No one holds them to task for anything. He like many others just scam people for money and power.

No one with one brain cell in their head would believe such a crazy story.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5914 users online. 355 members and 5559 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X