300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq war is a "Task from God"

This is a video of Sarah Palin speaking at church in Alaska. At 3:51 mark, she says that our soldiers were being sent to Iraq to perform a "task from God". What is the difference between a potential vice president saying this and the extremists telling suicide bombers that they are doing what they do in the name of God??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG1vPYbRB7k&eurl=http://

No war (killings) should be done in the name of God (religion), IMO.

Comment

It's just brilliant, like Bush calling it a crusade -- Nah, what possible connotation could Middle Easterners attach to that word?

She is frightening, also believes in the rapture -- makes you wonder if she's rooting for Israel and Iran to nuke each other and start armeggedon...

Comment

Originally posted by nr5667 View Post
        It's just brilliant, like Bush calling it a crusade -- Nah, what possible connotation could Middle Easterners attach to that word?

She is frightening, also believes in the rapture -- makes you wonder if she's rooting for Israel and Iran to nuke each other and start armeggedon...
        There's nothing wrong with believing in the rapture. It's good to know there are people who will take a stand in what they believe in, knowing they will be ridiculed by many in the country. I'd rather have someone who will take a stand for their beliefs in the face of overwhelming opposition, than someone who will try and appease everyone. Don't you remember what your parents told you about the whole sometimes doing the right thing is the unpopular thing .

Comment

We're not talking about the right thing, we're talking about Palin's warped views of the world...

Comment

She is frightening, also believes in the rapture
            So her standing up for her beliefs is wrong? I'm confused on what you're trying to get at...

If you're referring to your speculation of "wondering if she wants Israel and Iran to nuke each other to start armageddon" then that is something you have no evidence with which to back up your thinking. Just because she, or anyone else, believes in the rapture doesn't mean we want a nuclear war to start...

Besides which, the rapture doesn't start out with a nuke strike between those two anyway...

Comment

We're not talking about the right thing, we're talking about Palin's warped views of the world...
              So let me get this straight, because she was asking for people to pray for the troops (including her son) she has warped views of the world? Were you saying that her view of the world is warped because it differs from yours?

Tecumseh once said
              "Trouble no one about their religion,
              respect others in their view,
              and demand that they respect yours,"

The moral of the story: drop your prejudice and learn to respect people. Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't make you right and them wrong.
              Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him

Comment

Mmmmmm taste like red herring

She is frightening, also believes in the rapture -- makes you wonder if she's rooting for Israel and Iran to nuke each other and start armeggedon
                *cough* strawman *cough*
                Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him

Comment

Like so many things, taken out of context....

If believing in the rapture makes someone warped, then get ready to embrace a warped world, because you are creating a strange generalization that, world-wide, includes about a billion people. Perhaps it is you that is warped?

+1 to Norman on everything else
                  "All that is, ever
                  Ever was, will be, ever
                  Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

I am not religous.

I went to Iraq, and Afghanistan. I helped the people I could. Comforted the people i could not help, and eradicated the ones who chose to threaten the innocent.

Sounds like "Gods Work" to me.

M-11.

P.S. My Orders must have been a misprint, they said "Tasked by CENTCOM" not "Task from God". I'll notify my Admin people...
                    “All men dream...... But not equally..
                    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by eddib View Post
                      What is the difference between a potential vice president saying this and the extremists telling suicide bombers that they are doing what they do in the name of God??
                      None. A hyper-religious quack by any other name smells just as bad.
                      ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

I don't know... Tactics? I am not religious either. I have fought in Iraq and Afghanistan.
                        Something to consider as far as mindsets:
                        -In the Bible, God commands the Jews to fight and kill their enemies in specific campaigns.
                        -In the Quran, God commands Muslims to wage open ended warfare against infidels.
                        As far as using the name of God as justification, there is no difference... I don't remember Sarah Palin beheading a truck driver in an orange suit after she said that though.
                        I don't consider jihadists "extremist." From what I've seen they are the militant arm of a supportive, religion based culture.

Comment

Originally posted by txkifr View Post
                          I don't know... Tactics? I am not religious either. I
                          -In the Bible, God commands the Jews to fight and kill their enemies in specific campaigns.
                          -In the Quran, God commands Muslims to wage open ended warfare against infidels.
                          God, doesn't command the Jews to fight and kill for the purpose of spreading their beliefs.

The Qu'ran is based upon Christianity. Mohammed wrote the Qu'ran after being "visited" by an angelic being which was also post-meeting with Christian tradesmen/mission (can't remember if it was one or the other or both) in a city. Mohammed heard the word, and then declared himself a prophet... The Qu'ran and the Islamic faith is actually a...misguided representation of Christianity.

As far as their being a religious difference, I don't see Palin advocating the war for use of expanding any of her personal faith-based beliefs...whereas the extreme side of the Muslim faith is to spread it via any means necessary.
                          Last edited by RCKoutWurGLKout; 09-05-2008, 08:18 AM. Reason: keeping on topic

Comment

Originally posted by RCKoutWurGLKout View Post
                            There's nothing wrong with believing in the rapture. It's good to know there are people who will take a stand in what they believe in, knowing they will be ridiculed by many in the country. I'd rather have someone who will take a stand for their beliefs in the face of overwhelming opposition, than someone who will try and appease everyone. Don't you remember what your parents told you about the whole sometimes doing the right thing is the unpopular thing .
                            X2 - most excellent
                            The All New
                            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by eddib View Post
                              This is a video of Sarah Palin speaking at church in Alaska. At 3:51 mark, she says that our soldiers were being sent to Iraq to perform a "task from God". What is the difference between a potential vice president saying this and the extremists telling suicide bombers that they are doing what they do in the name of God??
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG1vPYbRB7k&eurl=http://
                              In this video, Governor Palin, while in town, is adressing the Church she grew up in. .She is speaking informally, greeting several old friends, and talking about her family. .Beginning at 3:23, not at 3:51, she sais, "...My oldest, my son Track, he's a soldier in th United States Army, now. He's an infantry man, and, um.. (and so Track sends his love, also, to his former nannie, Christy,) and track,.. Pray for our military! He's gonna be deployed in September to Iraq. [3:40] Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right also for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out [3:51] on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for: that there is a plan, and that that plan is is God's plan, so, um bless them with your prayers, your prayers of protection over our soldiers. And speaking of Track,..."

Originally posted by To Simplify The Quote
                              Pray for our military ... , that our leaders ... are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to ... [pray] for: that there is a plan, and that that plan is is God's plan
                              This is not someone claiming to speak for God, and to say what it is He wants our nation to do. .This is a woman asking people to pray that God will be involved in our national actions, and that He will be leading those who are commanding her son, as well as others.

Last edited by pvtbuddie; 09-05-2008, 06:20 PM.
                              lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2581 users online. 129 members and 2452 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X