300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Paul Mayor and Media Mum on Journalism Crackdown

Now, you know I am no anti-LEO troll as I have posted plenty of supportive remarks and I am an avid volunteer with my local PD. I am putting this out with a sincere interest in discussion, not in flaming anyone.

St. Paul Mayor and Media Mum on Journalism Crackdown
    TIMOTHY KARR

In St. Paul this week, a new generation of media makers is under assault by the city's mayor and law enforcement officers.

These local officials think freedom of the press is a privilege that extends only to their closest allies in mainstream media.

For the rest of us, it's a crime.

While reports of brutal police arrests and home invasions are still coming in, by Tuesday night the picture became clear. Dozens of journalists, photographers, bloggers and videomakers had been arrested in an orchestrated round up of independents covering the Republican National Convention.

Targeting the New Press

The list of those detained ranges from the well-known (Democracy Now's Amy Goodman) and well-established (Associated Press photographer Matt Rourke) -- to the bootstrapping bloggers and video makers who are covering local protests for TheUptake.org, Twin Cities Indymedia, I-Witness and other outlets.

Police -- with firearms drawn -- raided a meeting of the video journalists and arrested independent media, bloggers and videomakers. Journalists covering protests have been pointed out by authorities, blasted with tear gas and pepper spray, and brutalized while in custody.

Democracy Now's Goodman reports that a U.S. Secret Service agent ripped her press credentials from her neck the moment she identified herself to him as a member of the media. Her producers emerged yesterday from their jail cells bloodied and scarred, reporting unusually harsh treatment at the hands of local and federal authorities.

More here.

I'll hold my own opinion for the moment.
    Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
    Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Err, maybe the cops got tired of the stuff and couldn't put up with it anymore??

Comment

That's a tough call -- independent media can mean just about anybody...

As for this democracy now woman -- did being a journalist have any relevance? What special rights were granted to her for being a member of the press in this instance?

Comment

Have you seen any of the IMAGES of these "journalists"?

Most are "bloggers" that feel they have the "RIGHT" to do what they want. 300 arrests 100 of which are felonies tell a different story.

The 1st Amendment gives you the right to free speech, not the right to be heard.
        Last edited by JTShooter; 09-03-2008, 04:20 PM.
        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

I see a photo of a violent crowd armed with clubs surrounding a downed officer. It's attempted murder of a peace officer, and they should be dealt with as such.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Rubyrose just made my point. There wasn't one story on here about the demonstrations in Denver and how the liberal protestors were misbehaving. This story is not surprising.
            A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
              I see a photo of a violent crowd armed with clubs surrounding a downed officer. It's attempted murder of a peace officer, and they should be dealt with as such.
              Those situations have gotta be terrible.. outmanned, out republicaned.. unless your liberal, out weaponed. I can easily see them being charged with attempted murder.

Comment

Originally posted by justhomp View Post
                Have you seen any of the IMAGES of these "journalists"?

Most are "bloggers" that feel they have the "RIGHT" to do what they want. 300 arrests 100 of which are felonies tell a different story.

The 1st Amendment gives you the right to free speech, not the right to be heard.
                You are absolutley correct! I will go one further and say if some dork is so intent on imposing their beliefs, that they are willing to break the law and verbally assault others, than they also have the right to get punched in the mouth.
                It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

Comment

Originally posted by justhomp View Post

Jesus Christ he is in a bad spot/position. I am thinking the ones with the cameras and what appears to be credentials hanging on a chain are legit the others with the masks are pieces of **** that need flushed.
                  It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

In a lot of these pictures, there seems to be more "media" than demonstrators. A couple of other shots of this incident. Caption said, "Lone police officer sprays crowd with pepper spray while attempting to arrest a demonstrator. Others in crowd pulled demonstrator free."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportshotphoto/2824128816/
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportshotphoto/2824128820/

Comment

It's because digital SLR cameras are so cheap, everyone's a press photographer now!

Looks like that cop really wanted to arrest that guy...

I like how these protestors want to stay anonymous, just like the fascist police state they oppose...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5798 users online. 315 members and 5483 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X