Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 YO saves toddler

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 12 YO saves toddler

    GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- A 12-year-old boy is being called a hero after he saved his three-year-old cousin's life, all by himself. And he did it without any training at all. The boy saw his cousin at the bottom of a pool, and quickly jumped into action.
    In junior high, standing out can be a difficult thing. But it's not a challenge for Zach Smothers. In just the second week of seventh grade, Zach is receiving plenty of accolades. A week ago, at his 12th birthday party, Zach saved his three-year-old cousin's life.
    "Everybody keeps on saying I'm a hero," Zach acknowledged. "I'm going to keep that for the rest of my life."
    At the height of the party, Zach, like most of the kids, was in the pool at the Galveston Elks Lodge. Suddenly a body slowly sinking in the water caught his attention.

    He recalled, "She was floating upside down, and then when I picked her up, her lips were all purple. Then I pumped her chest."
    Zach pumped the little girl's chest and freed her airway.
    "She was small. She's only about three foot," Zach demonstrated. "I had her head and neck kind of up ... so her head was kind of (propped up). I had her body (in my other arm). But then she was out of the water, and I just put my knee up (under her body) and I just (compressed her chest with my hand) and water started to come out (of her mouth) and everything."
    "I told him he did very good," said Zach's father, William Smothers, III. "I told him I'm glad, and we're all glad that he was there. He did a very good thing."
    Zach is only 12 and certainly hasn't been trained in CPR, but he has seen it on TV. His mother once demonstrated the technique on a teddy bear.
    "He finally learned something good from TV, instead of something bad," laughed his father.
    That 'something good' made Zach's 12-year-old birthday unforgettable. We asked him what was the best birthday present he got.
    "Saving her life," he answered. "That's what I liked the best."
    The three-year-old's mother took her to the hospital after the incident. She was checked out and said to be doing very well.
    http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=6366468


    what a kid!!!
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

  • #2
    !!!!

    What an amazing story. Out of all the bad we hear its so good to hear some good.
    Don't expect other people to make you happy, Happiness is your responsibility.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice to see some good in today's headlines.

      Kudos to the kid, and his family.
      "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

      Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
      Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
      Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

      R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

      Comment


      • #4
        Way to go kid!!!!! Wonder where mom was?????
        It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by safetyallday View Post
          Way to go kid!!!!! Wonder where mom was?????
          ditto and what about 911... she transported... always Call 911 get a medic unit comming
          Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

          "There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

          R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

          Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

          Comment


          • #6
            ok you know what this kid did good the mom may have been right by the pool the child was in with the other kids
            Lawdog TCSO
            In God We Trust all Others we Check NCIC
            well daisy if you do

            Comment


            • #7
              That's cool that he did that.
              Time flies...it's up to you to be the navigator.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lawdog30 View Post
                ok you know what this kid did good the mom may have been right by the pool the child was in with the other kids
                Well said. Having a 6 yo, 3yo, and 1yo, all it takes is a second to look away or a second to be distracted with one and the other is into something. I could be changing a diaper and Bethany is standing on the kitchen counter playing with a knife. I could be going potty and Charlie is cutting Bethany's hair. I could be getting a goat out of a dog's mouth and Hannah is eating chicken feed.I could be pulling dinner out of the oven and the toilet is over flowing because an apple was flushed.

                The mom could have been scolding another child for dunking a cat in the pool and the 3 year old jumped in.
                http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

                The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

                Comment


                • #9
                  I too raised four kids and know firsthand how you can be distracted BUT the article states that the child was floating upside down and her lips were purple. That takes longer than a few seconds. So I ask again, where was the Mom?????
                  It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Oh....It happened at the Elks Lodge, that explains everything, no doubt Mom and Dad were knocking back a few at the bar and left the kids in the care of anyone...hey juinor is 12 he can handle it.
                    It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by safetyallday View Post
                      Oh....It happened at the Elks Lodge, that explains everything, no doubt Mom and Dad were knocking back a few at the bar and left the kids in the care of anyone...hey juinor is 12 he can handle it.
                      it was a 12 YO's b day party.
                      They were busy cutting cake, making sandwiches and doing that/
                      their were people all around that pool. The problem is everyone thinks the next person is watching untill this kid jumps in.

                      This is one of the great stories. We have had 12 drownings so far in Harris County this year. its deadly to be young and near water.
                      ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                      Oscar Wilde

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
                        it was a 12 YO's b day party.
                        They were busy cutting cake, making sandwiches and doing that/
                        their were people all around that pool. The problem is everyone thinks the next person is watching untill this kid jumps in.
                        This is one of the great stories. We have had 12 drownings so far in Harris County this year. its deadly to be young and near water.
                        You are right. When I was younger i spent 15+ years as an EMT and it left me more than a little cynical. When you see a two year old die from ingesting a gram of coke that mom and dad misplaced, or the baby who hung himself with the vertical blind cord while dad was sleeping off a drunk, it leaves you a little less than sympathetic to the parents when all to often it is negligence that results in tradgedy.
                        It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by safetyallday View Post
                          I too raised four kids and know firsthand how you can be distracted BUT the article states that the child was floating upside down and her lips were purple. That takes longer than a few seconds. So I ask again, where was the Mom?????
                          Mom may have been right there the kid may have been swiming with the other kids and there may have been a lot of people in the pool DON'T jump to conclusions that this kid had a bad parent just because of what happened we don't know what happened there and so we can not make ASSumptions
                          Lawdog TCSO
                          In God We Trust all Others we Check NCIC
                          well daisy if you do

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by safetyallday View Post
                            You are right. When I was younger i spent 15+ years as an EMT and it left me more than a little cynical. When you see a two year old die from ingesting a gram of coke that mom and dad misplaced, or the baby who hung himself with the vertical blind cord while dad was sleeping off a drunk, it leaves you a little less than sympathetic to the parents when all to often it is negligence that results in tradgedy.
                            see that is different that a little girl almost drowning at a birthday party at the elks lodge you know it wasn't in the hood it was at a elks lodge
                            Lawdog TCSO
                            In God We Trust all Others we Check NCIC
                            well daisy if you do

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 6345 users online. 377 members and 5968 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X