300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ants

..spent yesterday trying to control p-i-s-s ants...they say a colony of ants have more will than a single human. Started at 7am and totally cleaned the house until 11pm.

It all started with 100 degree weather and the suckers trying to find water. They are everywhere..plus my dear old neighbor sprayed..so they came to our house.

In less than 10 minutes there were a million of them on the sink..depx1 screamed with disgust..I snuck up on them in an attempt to find their trail. I watched as they tried to lower a piece of crumb off the dining room table. Interesting buggards.
    So after two rolls of paper towels, a bottle of windex (kills on contact and safe for my animals).....vaccuumed up the dead carcass' so the Marine ants don't come for their buddies....I sprayed the perimeter of the house. God knows I trapped the buggards who are under the house.

Anyone else have these buggards roaming with no intended destination?
    Last edited by deputy x 2; 09-01-2008, 08:25 PM.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

environmentally friendly way to kill them...

cucumber skin. trust me, its lethal!!!

This works too
    Last edited by texaschickeee; 09-01-2008, 05:48 PM.
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
      environmentally friendly way to kill them...

cucumber skin. trust me, its lethal!!!
      Uhh. I already used up a whole tree with the papertowels!
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
        Uhh. I already used up a whole tree with the papertowels!
        I was dog sitting for a friend who was gone for about two weeks. And the same thing happened to me. The ants were going straight for the water and dog food. Drove me crazy although I did not have A.D.D.
        "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
        Not Yet Visited: 16
        Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

I've seen a few different things work:

A mixture of Borax and sugar. The sugar is the bait, and the borax is the poison. Most borax formulations are safe to use around children and animals, yet are toxic for ants.

Cayenne pepper in water or cayenne pepper and vinegar. Spray around the entry points. Safe to use around animals and pets.

Find the anthills and pour boiling water down them. Kinda speaks for itself.

Comment

I had an exterminator for a year and they got worse when he treated. I tried everything, but nothing worked for long. Finally I read about citrus and sprayed the entire outside of my foundation and under the siding with a cheap orange based cleaner and moved the trash cans. Going on 6 months without a problem. "Knocking on my head as I type."
            Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Wow, i never knew about the Windex.

I just use very hot water and paper towels, and put down the round things that they have to go inside of to get poison. The last ones i used were metal i believe. I put them where my dog cannot get them (usually on the countertop and under the sink). They've always worked great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                ..spent yesterday trying to control p-i-s-s ants...they say a colony of ants have more will than a single human. Started at 7am and totally cleaned the house until 11pm.

It all started with 100 degree weather and the suckers trying to find water. They are everywhere..plus my dear old neighbor sprayed..so they came to our house.

In less than 10 minutes there were a million of them on the sink..depx1 screamed with disgust..I snuck up on them in an attempt to find their trail. I watched as they tried to lower a piece of crumb off the dining room table. Interesting buggards.
                So after two rolls of paper towels, a bottle of windex (kills on contact and safe for my animals).....vaccuumed up the dead carcass' so the Marine ants don't come for their buddies....I sprayed the perimeter of the house. God knows I trapped the buggards who are under the house.

Anyone else have these buggards roaming with no intended destination?
                Sounds almost like a planned operation.

I have had the same problem with the ants. Since we have a soon to be two year old every now and them we have had them on our kitchen floor. The only thing is I don't see how the heck they get to the third floor of the house to get in through the deck door. I have sprayed the Ortho (I think it's called) red and white 2 gallon ant spray all over inside and outside of the house and I cant get rid of them. I think I will have to give the Windex a try, what could it hurt, and it's cheaper than the other stuff.
                Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

I'm leary to use the "ortho" type products inside...due to my animals. I've also heard Grant's Ant sticks can be safely used for those with kids and animals.

So I bought 3 more bottles of Windex and Grants sticks. The ants are staggering around now (due to the spray-outside).

The buggards can book when they are not under the influence.

Note: the windex only kills on contact. It doesn't deter them from coming back.

BUT GET A CLUE!!! 1.5 godzillion ants marched in...no one went back to the colony...ya think they would have enough sense NOT to return???? I can go to work and deal with this type of attitude.

Comment

poison. Get the sticky stuff that they eat and bring back to their nest. After about a week our ant invasion was gone. Still gone.
                    "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Just before we moved from our old house, we remodeled our bathroom. In the weeks leading up to the remodel I kept finding ants in the bathroom. Well when we ripped the shower walls out, the walls were INFESTED with ants. Apparently we had a small water leak in the wall which attracted them. We call an extirminator who set off a couple bombs which were pet friendly. He also gave us some traps, seemed to solve the problem.
                      Last edited by 10-41; 09-02-2008, 12:56 PM.
                      sigpic"To punish and enslave"

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Woke up today, to find a few "Marine" ants looking for their buddies. They don't have any pep in their step so I think the spray is working...for now..knock on wood.

Comment

+1 to texaschickeee

The cucumber skins work great. Especially on fire ants.
                          "You can't handcuff me, I'm a college graduate!"
                          (Smurfette)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6268 users online. 356 members and 5912 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X