300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• input wanted please!

so my life long dream is to become a LEO. due to being out of shape i will be unable to fulfill that dream for another couple of years. i am 22 years old and lack work and "life" experience. i was thinking about trying to go for a public safety dispatch position that is open for a couple of the PDs around me. the only thing is that it might interfere with school. right now i have a job that i am able to do school work at but i am not getting any type of experience. i feel it would be in my best interest to try and get more experience but i also know how important an education is. i do have an AA in criminal justice and i am working on a BS. so from a department looking to hire me as an LEO, what do you feel is more important, education or experience?
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Well my civilian opinion would be for you to finish school and somehow see if you could qualify for a dispatch position. That position is a lot harder to get than most would believe and is very competitive.

Your lack of work experience seems like it would play a role later on down the road. Say, in an oral board it is brought up that you lack work experience, you can spin the question a bit and use your schooling/educational experience as life experience etc.

There are times in life when you have to sit back and continue down your current path until the time is right to make a change. You’re fighting to battles right now, weight and schooling. You already have a job, so complete school and make sure you do not let your weight become to big a factor.

Do not slack off and think that you can wait till schools over with and then you start applying for different departments but you still have a problem, weight. Make sure you do not let yourself go while you keeping on top of other things.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

thanks for the advise. the weight issue will definitely not be let go being this is my main goal. i figured in order to get to my weight loss goals it will take a couple of years. so during those couple of years i might as well do something else to better myself. i have applied before for a dispatch position, took the written, but bombed the interview.

Comment

Originally posted by FireCop86 View Post
        thanks for the advise. the weight issue will definitely not be let go being this is my main goal. i figured in order to get to my weight loss goals it will take a couple of years. so during those couple of years i might as well do something else to better myself. i have applied before for a dispatch position, took the written, but bombed the interview.
        That's not good what happened in the interview if you don't mind me asking?

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Originally posted by djblank87 View Post
          That's not good what happened in the interview if you don't mind me asking?
          i was sick at the time and unprepared. i had never been to a "real" interview before and it was really intimidating. there were 3 people there, a police sargent, a dispatcher, and some other lady. they asked me a question then just starred at me for an answer. i was so nervous. i answered a couple of questions with out really thinking and then really regretting my answers. i was also unable to answer a lot of questions because of lack of experience. i definitely learned from it though and will be confident the next time i need to do one. what really eats me up is that i am friends with a sargent that works there and he told me to come down and he would help me prepare but i didn't take the opportunity. i called him after the interview and told him what happened and his reply "i told your dumbarse to come down so i could help you" lol. oh well we live and learn right?

Comment

You made an effort and now have an understanding of how future interviews will be conducted. I honestly can say that I like oral boards; I applied years ago to be a dispatcher with DPS out here and there were five people in on that interview. I passed that with flying colors and they let me know that before I was done.

Unfortunately I could not take that job due to family issues at that time, but my point being that I have now been in four oral boards and passed them all. You will get the hang of it down pretty soon and as dumb as it may sound buy a voice recorder and ask yourself the numerous questions that can be asked in an interview and answer them.

You will be surprised at how you answer questions and how fast you stray from the question at hand.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Dispatching requires good judgement, fast and accurate typing, multi-tasking, information retention, and the ability to remain calm under pressure.

It is stressful, and sedentary, so if you are already dealing with weight issues, you may face additional challenges getting fit.

We've had several dispatchers move into sworn, and even some retired deputies become dispatchers.

The one thing both jobs have in common, is you have to have "A" type qualities to your personality. You don't have to be a full-on A-type, but there is no room for being wishy-washy.
              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FireCop86 View Post
                ...i figured in order to get to my weight loss goals it will take a couple of years.
                WHAT???

Finish what you started. It'll look more stable and reliable on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post
                  WHAT???

Finish what you started. It'll look more stable and reliable on paper.
                  finish what, school?
                  Last edited by FireCop86; 09-02-2008, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
                    how bad outta shape can you be? cuz in atlanta, they got rid of the pre employment physical. so bascially ive seen like girls that weight 300lbs, and they just run them and run them till they can loose weight so they can start the acadmeny
                    i am about 100 lbs over weight. a lot of weight to lose but i am doing a program through my doctors office and i want nothing more to become an LEO so i WILL lose the weight. i want to do it healthy though and make the complete lifestyle change so that is why i am giving it a couple of years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5578 users online. 310 members and 5268 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X