300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Have A Song?

Do you have a song, that no matter how many times you hear it, you never grow tired of it? A song that moves you emotionally? A song that takes you back to a different time in the past?

For me it's Earth, Wind, and Fire, Can't Hide Love.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

I think there has been a thread like this before. But I love music, so who cares.

Queen- Bohemian Rhapsody

No joke. That song holds so much sentimental value, that I want to cry just hearing it. It is so special to me that I won't sing it in the presence of anyone else. Only in the car, alone.
    Your mom...

Comment

This is tough as I used to be a jukebox mechanic. One stands out and I don't think it was ever on a jukebox I knew of besides the one in my house:
      "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams, the Mike Post arrangement.
      Dang. Now I have to go listen to it.

Comment

"Tears In Heaven" by Eric Clapton.

"Young Ned of the Hill" by The Pogues.

Comment

"Hallelujah" by Rufus Wainwright. No song better describes my history with my faith.
          "If you have to justify to yourself, or others why what you're doing isn't wrong; it is."

Comment

Originally posted by Christyle View Post
            I think there has been a thread like this before. But I love music, so who cares.

Queen- Bohemian Rhapsody

No joke. That song holds so much sentimental value, that I want to cry just hearing it. It is so special to me that I won't sing it in the presence of anyone else. Only in the car, alone.
            Originally posted by 417Lt View Post
            This is tough as I used to be a jukebox mechanic. One stands out and I don't think it was ever on a jukebox I knew of besides the one in my house:
            "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams, the Mike Post arrangement.
            Dang. Now I have to go listen to it.

Love Rhapsody,and Classical Gas used to be my intro song when I was a radio announcer.As I grow older and mellow out,I guess my favs. would be Louis Armstrong "Its a wonderful world" (I know sappy,hey I am getting old),and Unchained Melody by the Righteous brothers.
            Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

"Surfin' bird" by The Trashmen. I dunno why, but I get never get bored of that song. Three minutes of completely meaningless insanity.
              I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

"Hurts the Most" by Rascal Flats. I'm more into country...
                Time flies...it's up to you to be the navigator.

Comment

Bruce Springsteen - Promised Land
                  Ian Tyson - Navajo Rug
                  The Ventures - Walk, Don't Run
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

A few favorites of mine:

Green Green Grass of Home (performed by Charley Pride or Tom Jones or me)

Bach, especially Cantata 147 (Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring) I'd love to hear that played by Don Knuth, an organist and organ enthusiast who believes in real pipe organs and who has an excellent one in his home, and who understands acoustics rigorously, and who is one of the archons of the computer industry (Mr. Knuth wrote "The Art of Computer Programming". Bill Gates said that if you can get through the first two volumes of that work ("Fundamental Algorithms", and "Sorting and Searching"), he has a job for you. I was able to choke through the entire work, but I don't want to work for MS. I have a brother who works for them in Seattle.).

Beethoven, esp. the 6th Symphony (esp. when played at 45 RPM from a 33-1/3 LP).

Mozart, esp. Eine Kleine Nacht Musik (a little night music) which was a played by a string quartet as the recessional at the wedding of a friend.

Debussy, Schumann, Brahms (I like Romantic music that isn't too sentimental or intrusive).

Chopin, when he isn't too technical or self-indulgent. I especially the Artur Rubinstein LP record "The Chopin I Love".

Scott Joplin (my favorite recording of his music is "Dick Welstood Plays the Music of Scott Joplin" -- it's all solo piano -- it goes great with a home projector running silent 8mm reels of Douglas Fairbanks Sr.'s "The Mark of Zorro", or Buster Keaton's "College".)

Yeah, I'm kinda old.

Hank Williams (my favorite record of him is the aptly named "Just Me and My Guitar")

Joan Baez, esp. Love is Just a Four-Letter Word, and Diamonds and Rust

Alison Krause, esp. You Say it Best When You Say Nothing at All ( a little sugary, but I like it anyway)

Luciano Pavarotti -- that guy could sing. I used to hold hands with a gal who was once his practice pianist. She said he was always pushing the envelope, that he tried a lot of exploratory vocal and respiratory and muscle control things in practice that didn't always work for him, along with practicing mostly the things that pretty much always did work very well, and that he rarely tried any of that exploratory reachy stuff in concert. I especially like when he's doing Pucinni. Verdi's a little too redwine for me most of the time.

I usually don't like women singing opera, although I can make some exceptions for Maria Callas and a few others. It often sounds like shrieking to me. I get the impulse to rescue the woman from whoever is making her scream like that.

I'd rather hear sopranos sing medieval chansons. Once I got to hear that live. There were two soprano singers, a bass singer who played the lute, and a guy playing a tenor recorder. The tenor recorder looks a bit like a bassoon, and requires anticipation on the part of the person playing it, because the wind path is long enough that there's a noticeable delay between when you decide to play a note, and when the note sounds. This guy was spot on anyway.

On another note, I like to watch women doing ballet dancing and not men.

Even though I have to acknowledge the tremendous athetic ability and exceptional physical skill of guys like Baryshnikov and Nureyev, many of the moves are too fairyish in my view for me to like seeing men do them, and I really have trouble understanding how any of us straight guys could want to watch a man flit about the stage in a leotard and a frilly shirt.

I did like seeing Swan Lake, performed by Royal Ballet in London, even though Tchaikovsky is in my opinion sometime a bit grandiose and sometimes a bit too sweet. It had more women than men, and the pas de deux was not too horribly intolerable to me even though it had those awful flamboyant jetes performed by the man. And honestly, how many times does the guy have to prove he can lift the gal and otherwise support her weight before we're all duly impressed?

Them Europeans, I tell ya, they're a mixed bag for us Americans.

Oh, and I like the Stones, and a lot of other R&R, and a lot of other stuff, too.

I'll never forget Little Richard singing gospel music at the Seventh Day Adventist Church. I was in high school, and I tried to get as many people as I could to attend. I must have asked over 100 persons, and only 4 other than me went. People told me, but that's a black people church, and some, but that's not a Catholic church. I replied that their God was still the same, anyway, and c'mon, it's Little Richard, and it's free!. The warmup band played and sang a song called "Victory". There was a young man singing it, and a really pretty gal in the front row just beaming, obviously in love with the lead singer, and she kept shouting out "sing it, Michael!". Sorry I don't remember the name of that gospel/mission band, but they were great, too. Richard Penniman (his childhood buddy "Jive-o" whom I spoke with in the congregation told me that was Little Richard's name) displayed a voice of astonishing range and power, even in his preaching. Just before he sang "One Day At a Time, Sweet Jesus", he said, "I hope you like country, 'cause this song's country". So I guess I can say I've heard a king of rock 'n roll sing country. I and my friends were sitting together and received some moderately specific attention from him: he said, "you, too, white people", at one point. We laughed.

I have a memory of driving too fast on a great road with the sunroof open on a perfect day while listening to Eric Clapton's "Lay Down Sally". It's a fun song. I mused about the fact that with correct English, it should have been "Lie Down Sally", and reflected that my high school girlfriend always said "lay down" when she was going to give me back rub, and that I'd never been quite foolish enough to criticise her grammar and lose the back rub, and possibly the hand to hold, so I guessed I could forgive it in the song, too.

Thanks for the question. It helped me to bring up many fond memories, and to see some intriguing responses of others.

Regards,

Monty

Comment

I heard a song for the first time this last June. It was played at the funeral as background for a powerpoint presentation celebrating my mother's life. It was sung by a group called MercyMe that oddly enough was from the town I work in. It is called "I CAN ONLY IMAGINE" Its been nearly three months and I still tear up when I hear it. Can't help it. Ain't gonna try. It's sorta the last ting she left me, in a way. I have it on a dvd now and it's in my iTunes on this computer. Think I'll give it a listen.
                      visit my blog if you are so inclined.
                      http://dwmeeks.wordpress.com
                      (I'm trying to drive up the hits.)

Comment

Rockstar by nickleback that or better as a memory by kenny chesney
                        Lawdog TCSO
                        In God We Trust all Others we Check NCIC
                        well daisy if you do

Comment

Fly Away by Poe
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
                          and I'm not sure about the former.
                          -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

I got a lot of song...
                            The one that comes to mind right now is...

Grandmaster Flash: The Message
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6e9G-ump3Y
                            sigpic

Comment

"Green Fields of France" by the Dropkick Murphys.
                              "It peed on me! That's resisting arrest." (Kelso, "That 70's Show")

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6201 users online. 342 members and 5859 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X