300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comcast users

NEW YORK — Comcast Corp., the nation's second-largest Internet service provider, Thursday said it would set an official limit on the amount of data subscribers can download and upload each month.

On Oct. 1, the cable company will update its user agreement to say that users will be allowed 250 gigabytes of traffic per month, the company announced on its Web site.

Comcast has already reserved the right to cut off subscribers who use too much bandwidth each month, without specifying exactly what constitutes excessive use.

"We've listened to feedback from our customers who asked that we provide a specific threshold for data usage and this would help them understand the amount of usage that would qualify as excessive," the company said in a statement on its Web site.

Customers who go over the limit are contacted by the company and asked to curb their usage.

"We know from experience the vast majority of customers we ask to curb usage do so voluntarily," the company said.

Comcast floated the idea of a 250 gigabyte cap in May and mentioned then that it might charge users $15 for every 10 gigabytes they go over, but the overage fee was missing in Thursday's announcement.

Curbing the top users is necessary to keep the network fast and responsive for other users, Comcast has said.

Comcast stressed that the bandwidth cap is far above the median monthly usage of its customers, which 2 to 3 gigabytes.

Very few subscribers use more than 250 gigabytes, it said. A user could download 125 standard-definition movies, about four per day, before hitting the limit.

The cap is also above those of some other ISPs. Cox Communications' monthly caps vary from 5 gigabytes to 75 gigabytes depending the subscriber's plan. Time Warner Cable Inc. is testing caps between 5 gigabytes and 40 gigabytes in one market. Frontier Communications Co., a phone company, plans to start charging extra for use of more than 5 gigabytes per month.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5972394.html
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

no more watching TV, downloading movies or music I guess.
    it sux!
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

you know it is getting bad when they are trying to control how much you use the internet
      Lawdog TCSO
      In God We Trust all Others we Check NCIC
      well daisy if you do

Comment

user average is 2-3 gigabytes...i wouldn't be worried.

Do they show on your bill how much you've used? So you have an idea if you are close or would go over?
        Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
          it sux!
          no, it does not suck......its comcastic

good thing i dont have comcast but, im sure its going to start a chain reaction
          sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc27 View Post
            user average is 2-3 gigabytes...i wouldn't be worried.

Do they show on your bill how much you've used? So you have an idea if you are close or would go over?
            I'm in texas and I use AT&T dsl so I have no idea if it shows or not the only place I have seen it showing was on my cell phone bill where I get on the net from there
            Lawdog TCSO
            In God We Trust all Others we Check NCIC
            well daisy if you do

Comment

I dont think it's right to put ANY cap on it, but hey - they can. It doesnt show my amount of usage anywhere on my bill.

WTS, i'm sure i wont go over. I dont download full movies anyway. TX you can still download 4 a day and be OK. I'm sure with the few songs that i download i'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee View Post
                it sux!
                You don't have to worry about that. 250gb of data is A LOT. I have a monster collection of music and movies... which doesn't even come close to 250 gigs.

The average song is somewhere around 4mb in size. This equates to 64,000 songs before you reach the 250gb limit.

Unless you're pirating... you need not worry my friend.

This 250gb cap is targeting Comcast users that are running servers that operate 24/7/365 with 24/7/365 data transfers. Music/movie pirates are a good example of that.
                sigpic

Comment

Regardless, I hate comcast. Verizon Fios is great. Miss the Tivo and Directv, but DVR is OK.
                  Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

As long as general surfing on the net and using the bandwidth to play online is untouched, Im a cool customer.

Comment

So far i dont have many problems with Comcast, and when i do - their customer service is good. We dont have Verizon FIOS here, or i'd get it.

Comment

no the bill doesn't tell you what you have used.
                        I have no real problem with the comcast as a provider- I have the triple play. DSL, phone and cable (extended basic so I have like 130 channels and the free on demand stuff), all for 122 a month. I just don't like them capping the stuff. No, I'm not a pirate but I do a lot of TV and movies here. and 4 is about right for every three days.
                        Last edited by texaschickeee; 08-29-2008, 05:07 AM.
                        Oscar Wilde

Comment

If this affects my gaming, I'm going to be SO P****d
                          "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

Comment

There are tools available for purchase or downloadable for free that allow you to monitor and log your bandwith usage.

Here's a url for one of the free ones:
                            http://www.download.com/BitMeter/300...-10398686.html

I think comcast is a little overpriced, but I like their tech support; you can pretty much always get to a human in a reasonable amount of time, and the person will either be able to address your concern, or to patch you through to someone who can.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5616 users online. 310 members and 5306 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X