300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple MacBook help?

Okay MacBook owners I need your help. I tried to hook up my etheral (sp?) cable to my MacBook. But I don't know how to figure out what my ISP connection is.

I have Comcast so how do I figure out where it is on the computer that I am using right now.

Help please. I want to use my MacBook and transfer my photos to my MacBook.

Thanks

BBB
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
    Not Yet Visited: 16
    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Ethernet cable.

You need to call your ISP provider. Only they can give you the information you need to set up your connection.

Most ISP's have 24/7 technical help.
    Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
    Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Oh, BTW, you have 90 days of free help from Apple

1-800-MY-APPLE
      1- (800) 275-2273

unless you bought the Apple Care plan (good idea to do it - also covers replacement if it is unfixable...not common, but occasionally happens), in which case you get 3 years. If you didn't you can still buy it.

Apple help is usually pretty good. They will talk you through the transfer.

From ads on TV I've seen that they actually provide file transfer when you are moving from PC to Mac, but I imagine that has to take place at an Apple store.

Good luck. The mistake most PC folk make when they do the change is thinking "it can't be that easy so I must be doing it wrong."
      A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Originally posted by BaseballBabe View Post
        Okay MacBook owners I need your help. I tried to hook up my etheral (sp?) cable to my MacBook. But I don't know how to figure out what my ISP connection is.

I have Comcast so how do I figure out where it is on the computer that I am using right now.

Help please. I want to use my MacBook and transfer my photos to my MacBook.

Thanks

BBB
        ISP is Internet Service Provider. I'm guessing you already have an internet connection through Comcast so they are your ISP. What, exactly, are you trying to do? After you've plugged in the ethernet cable are you still unable to connect to the internet through Safari (or other browser)?

Comment

Are your pics already on-line, or on an old computer?
          Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
            Are your pics already on-line, or on an old computer?
            My pictures are on my hard drive.
            "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)

Comment

Originally posted by mobtown View Post
              ISP is Internet Service Provider. I'm guessing you already have an internet connection through Comcast so they are your ISP. What, exactly, are you trying to do? After you've plugged in the ethernet cable are you still unable to connect to the internet through Safari (or other browser)?
              I tried to use my ethernet cable that I use for m PC. To use it for my MacBook. ANd I was unable to use Safari. It would not connect for me.

Comment

try using firefox if you have a newer mac book then it should have it on there also in the top right hand corner it will shot internet conections open that up and you should be able to go through the steps there it should be able to find your ISP number
                Lawdog TCSO
                In God We Trust all Others we Check NCIC
                well daisy if you do

Comment

Originally posted by lawdog30 View Post
                  try using firefox if you have a newer mac book then it should have it on there also in the top right hand corner it will shot internet conections open that up and you should be able to go through the steps there it should be able to find your ISP number
                  It won't have anything to do with which browser is being used. And I'm most certain Firefox does not come pre-installed on any Mac computers.

Originally posted by BaseballBabe
                  I tried to use my ethernet cable that I use for m PC. To use it for my MacBook. ANd I was unable to use Safari. It would not connect for me.
                  It's likely a router or modem issue. If you are connecting straight from the cable modem perhaps the ISP is rejecting the MAC (Media Access Control) address or if you are connecting through a router (that is attached to your modem) perhaps the router is not assigning an IP (Internet Protocol) address to your machine.

Probably the easiest and best thing for you to do is contact tech support at Comcast, especially if you are not familiar with things like IP Address, MAC address, DHCP, etc. They will get you up and running in no time. Macs are very easy to setup/configure for a network or internet connection but the beginning of that learning curve is nearly vertical.

Comment

I probably should have asked this earlier but... are you simply trying to transfer photos from an external hard drive onto your MacBook or are you trying to connect to the internet?

Comment

Id recommend firefox over safari. Its safer, you can customize it like crazy, and its easy to use.

As for the internet, your ISP provider and Mac help should help you figure everything out.
                      "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
                      Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
                      Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

You may need to turn the cable modem off, plug the ethernet cable into your computer and then turn the modem back on.

Comment

If you're getting a message telling you that you aren't connected to the internet open up Network Diagnosis. It should have the link to open it right below the message that says you aren't connected to the internet. Once you open it I'd recommend keeping it in your Dock so you can open right away if your internet is giving you problems.

Go through the steps in Network Diagnosis. I find it works best if I give it a few seconds after clicking on the appropriate bubble before I select next, it sometimes has a dropdown box that says something about a change being detected to which you click okay. It's pretty easy to do, hope it helps.
                          Life is like a bullet shot out of a gun, it goes quick and you can't take it back....so make sure your aim is good.

Comment

Man, I don't have mine in front of me to do an exact walk-through, but go into your control panel and then go into "Network." If you poke around in there there should be a listing of your possible network connections (to include modem, Airport, Ethernet, etc.). Drag Ethernet to the top of the list, and it will try to connect that way first. Apart from that, you can make sure the network settings match anything the ISP gave you (usually "connect automatically using DHCP" or something similar). After everything is set up the way you want, reboot and it should work.

Comment

I strongly suggest you call Apple, BBB. They will talk you through the whole process. Here is the number again:

1-800-MY-APPLE
                              1- (800) 275-2273

If you are trying to connect your PC to your MacBook, the internet service provider is irrelevant, and so is your browser.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4375 users online. 212 members and 4163 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X