Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellow US History Freaks 1850 - 1875 era

Any fellow U.S. History nuts out there?

Favorite historical sites? Historical cities? Books?

I'm looking for a good, comprehensive book on U.S. History from events leading to the civil war - the war - and the rebuild in the aftermath.

Suggestions?

As to historical areas, North Carolina and Virginia (Old Richmond, etc., are favorite haunts of mine. I plan on spending a solid month back there one day in my retirement.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Charleston, SC is a good place. I've spent several weeks up at the National Fire Academy in Emmitsburg, Maryland and toured Gettysburg quite a bit. Great place to poke around.

I don't know of a specific book, I've read many different ones covering different time periods and people.
    “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

I don't know that you could find one book that could do justice to the whole period of time you are interested in, you might do better finding several biographies of major players helpful.

I really enjoyed Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James Swanson. Most people forget that Seward was nearly killed that night as well, and it's a real nail-biter, even knowing how it ends.

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin also very good.

Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy is considered a classic, and he brings a Southerner's viewpoint.

Battle Cry of Freedom and What God Hath Wrought are from Oxford History series.

I am a History Book club junkie.
      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Shelby Foote's Civil War Narrative is an outstanding book (ok....several door stopper size volumes) on the subject.....very readable as well.....
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Douglas Freeman's biography of General Lee is an excellent set to read. Takes a while to get through it, but it's well worth it.
          “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Good Lord you could fill a library with book covering just that period. If and when I get my books out of boxes and back onto shelves (God I hate moving) I'll take a look. I got about a shelf just covering the Civil War period. Although I just reached under my coffee table and pulled out "The Civil War" by Geoffrey C. Ward with Ric and Ken Burns (goes along with the PBS Series) Another excellent book that highlights the entire time period.
            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
            Albert Einstein

Comment

I hit the Harper's Ferrry, WV area at least once a year; it's great there. Great old town, lots of historical stuff, and a really nice park. The book stores there cover every topic, but my favorites trend to historical arms and manufacturing. There's a "historical" gun shop there (John Zimmerman, gunsmith); the guy sells originals and repros of period guns, and he also has a good selection of books. Oh, and he has all the necessary period equipment to manufacture guns from scratch.

Recently I got to fire an original 1873 in .45-70, and now I'm really feeling the itch to pick one up for myself...

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                Favorite historical sites? Historical cities? Books?

I'm looking for a good, comprehensive book on U.S. History from events leading to the civil war - the war - and the rebuild in the aftermath.

Suggestions?

As to historical areas, North Carolina and Virginia (Old Richmond, etc., are favorite haunts of mine. I plan on spending a solid month back there one day in my retirement.
                Read about Kansas and Missouri prior to the war. We were having the CW before 1860. Leavenworth KS is a good place to go, it was nearly destroyed by Missourians attacking it.

Read anything by Shelby Foote, great CW writer.

If you are driving from home to east coast chart a CW path. Leavenworth KS, Lexington MO (one of the last battles, still cannon ball in court house) St. Louis MO, KY, PA, TN. There are so many battlefields between you and what would be my ultimate stop, Gettysburg, I think you would have a great trip.

Must be nice to be retired
                A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Read "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara. Very good civil war book. It is about the battle of Gettysburg.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3351 users online. 167 members and 3184 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X