300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive for the troops..

Well, my teacher gave in. It wasn't hard though, she was better about this than I thought. Alright, my class is going to bring in stuff like shoeboxes and we'll fill them up. I think I'll take care of finding a platoon or two to send this stuff to, if anyone has been to Iraq or Afghanistan or is a penpal, let me know of things you wish you really wish you had over there. Not to rub it in your face or anything of course. Any other comments and suggestions would be great.

I think this is a great idea.

I've heard that pudding packs are good because they don't go bad... That's what my fiance says anyway.

chapstick, non-scented.

And heartfelt letters thanking them for doing what they are doing for us.

Comment

Stuff that doesn't melt. Hard candy, sun screen towlettes, gum, playing cards, individual hand sanitizers, some common spices....

Comment

And, "Twinkies"! Don't forget the Twinkies to go with the pudding packs~

In all seriousness, that is a tremendous project. You will get a lot of personal satisfaction and many happy thoughts for what you are doing. I commend you!!

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

lay off of the beef jerky.

honestly tho, send magazines, car mags, sports, guns, maxim, etc..

oh and used x-box and PS3 games.
          In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

I just remembered a Ranger buddy of ours wanted us to send him these snickers energy bars or something like that...

but they would probably melt into a gooey mess by the time it got there.

Comment

Maybe some triple ply, ultra quilted charmin?
              "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group
              for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." --Drew Carey

Comment

Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post

Awesome. Will do. I don't really know if the place I'm sending stuff to is going to have PS3/Xbox.. but thanks and will keep it in mind.

Thanks everyone else, I'll keep all these recommendations in mind. And I already get a huge personal satisfaction from the two guys I've got, nonetheless to have more would be great for me.

Now all I've got to do is find a platoon to send stuff too. If anyone has one in mind.. please give me a shout, I thought the one guy I was going through might be able to let me but he can't.
                Last edited by Taylor13; 08-26-2008, 04:34 PM.

Comment

When one of my friends was over there he asked me to send him baby wipes and Ramen noodles. I was in the Corps of Cadets at VT so I have dozens of friends in different branches serving in both places. Everyone I was mailing stuff to is currently stateside but I'll get in contact with some of the others and see what I can do for you Taylor.

Comment

Thanks a ton Hokie.

Comment

http://www.adoptaplatoon.org/new/

http://www.adoptaussoldier.org/

http://www.troopcarepackage.com/

http://anysoldier.com/

http://www.guidestar.org/using/ <-----to check the legitimacy of said organization

(My younger brother's JROTC group teamed up with the local VA office to have packages made for veterans BY veterans. The servicemen and women loved people coming in to visit and they seemed to like the fact that they could actually do something to help)
                      "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group
                      for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." --Drew Carey

Comment

That's really great Tinga, I'm going to look into doing something for/with the VA in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post

Try to avoid sending magazines with nudity. Some countries do not allow this stuff.

I have a whole list of stuff on a file. I will post it tomorrow.
                          "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
                          Not Yet Visited: 16
                          Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

Originally posted by BaseballBabe View Post
                            Try to avoid sending magazines with nudity. Some countries do not allow this stuff.

I have a whole list of stuff on a file. I will post it tomorrow.
                            um...maxim doesnt have nudity.

im pretty sure i know what will fly and what wont..

ramen noodles is a good one, actually any boxed meals, as long as they dont require milk or eggs.. etc..

another thing, summer sausage...i lived on one of those mid sized beefstick and cheese gift baskets for about a week, anything is better than MRE's and chow hall crap.
                            Last edited by Mstangfk; 08-26-2008, 11:09 PM.
                            In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

wet wipes
                              Q-tips
                              individual size hand sanitizer
                              bug repellant
                              sun screen
                              toothpaste/toothbrushes
                              dental floss
                              feminine products

phone cards (my fiance spent 10,000 of personal money on phone calls home over a 15 month period in Iraq. I think that is an absolute travesty.) But, apparently some units can't use them, so you'd probably want to have correspondence to find out if they need a phone card first, or if they are even allowed to have them.
                              pre-packaged snacks
                              soup in a cup (just add hot water)
                              drink powders in water bottle size(like gatorade, crystal light, etc)

beanie babies and/or candy to hand out to the local kids.
                              Last edited by Presence; 08-27-2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3168 users online. 154 members and 3014 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X