300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wis. Woman Jailed Over Unpaid Library Fees

I didn't know you could get arrested for ignoring your library fees.

GRAFTON, Wis. - A Grafton woman has been arrested and booked for failing to pay her library fines. Heidi Dalibor, 20, told the News Graphic in Cedarburg she ignored the library's calls and letters as well as a notice to appear in court.

Still, she was surprised when officers with a warrant knocked on her door, cuffed her and took her to the police station to be fingerprinted and photographed.

Police Capt. Joe Gabrish saied officers follow the same procedure with every warrant.

Library director John Hanson said a couple of dozen people are cited each year for failure to return materials or pay fines.

The incident cost Dalibor about $30 for the overdue paperbacks "White Oleander" and "Angels and Demons" and her mother nearly $172 to get her out of custody.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26335283/?GT1=43001

What a dastardly diva! To overlook the warnings from the librarian that monies were to be paid. Bet she won't use that library anymore!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Your profile lists your occupation as "Banker". Banking is one of the few businesses where you can collect fees and penalties from customers automatically whenever you deem necessary, as you hold their money. I'm very sure that if people could refuse to pay ATM fees or NSF check penalties the cops would be called and eventually someone would go to jail.
      Look at the woman's booking photo in the news story- This is a joke to her. She'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by 417Lt View Post
        Your profile lists your occupation as "Banker". Banking is one of the few businesses where you can collect fees and penalties from customers automatically whenever you deem necessary, as you hold their money. I'm very sure that if people could refuse to pay ATM fees or NSF check penalties the cops would be called and eventually someone would go to jail.
        Look at the woman's booking photo in the news story- This is a joke to her. She'll be back.
        Very true

Comment

As a library technician, let me just say good for that library. Maybe if more libraries would do this, then we would be able to afford all of the books/computers/etc. that are needed to truly help the public. You wouldn't believe how many thousands of dollars worth of materials have never been returned and libraries won't even utilize collection agencies. We have a couple of patrons here at my current library that have never returned about $10,000 dollars worth of rare materials. We won't do anything about that of course except putting them on the "Stop List" and that doesn't guarantee that they won't still get away with checking more material out because our student workers will just by-pass the block. What is the use of charging fines if you don't enforce those fines?

Comment

I would say the failure to appear in court was the reason for the arrest.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

It would only have taken $10 to avoid that whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                I would say the failure to appear in court was the reason for the arrest.
                It is, but it's been widely reported it was for the fees. You can't go to jail for not paying your late fees unless the judge orders you to appear to talk about that matter. Judges are cranky that way, they really hate being ignored.
                For every one hundred men you send us,
                Ten should not even be here.
                Eighty are nothing but targets.
                Nine of them are real fighters;
                We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
                Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
                And he will bring the others back.

Comment

You should have paid the fine!
                  "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

I Agree with DAL on this. There's no debtor's prison in the USA, but there is contempt of court citation for failure to appear. The defendant should have appeared, and accepted the judgement, and paid it as appropriate.

Comment

Happens here too, in the last year I've booked two for this reason.

Comment

At least our youth is reading? LOL
                        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Ok to settle this debate, it was considered theft if the books are not returned within ten days from the due date. The lady lives in the richest county in the state, need I really explain more?? This was funny though!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2786 users online. 157 members and 2629 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X