Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is why you don't wind surf in the middle of a tropical storm...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why you don't wind surf in the middle of a tropical storm...

Check out the video of how the wind throws this guy around...

http://cbs4.com/local/Kite.Surfer.las.2.798049.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulflABc4jMc

Caught On Tape: Wind Blows Kite Surfer Into Bldg.

FORT LAUDERDALE (CBS4) ― Emergency officials warned South Floridians to seek shelter during Tropical Storm Fay but a man in Fort Lauderdale seeking some thrills on the rough surf didn't heed that warning and ended up in the hospital after being hurt in an astonishing kite boarding accident that was caught on camera.

A CBS4 news crew was on Fort Lauderdale beach at A1A and east Las Olas Boulevard on Monday when a huge gust of wind from Fay blew down the beach and took 26-year-old Kevin Kearney by surprise.

The kite boarder was harnessed into his sail when the wind violently picked him up and slammed him onto the sandy beach. Then, he was dragged across the sand before being lifted up into the air again and blown across the street where the wind slammed him into a building.

WFOR photographer Yuseith Osorio believes the young man was blown away by a forming waterspout. "Basically, we were getting ready to go live and I saw something forming up in the sky. I told Pete, 'Hey, careful, something's forming.'"

Witnesses ran to help the Fort Lauderdale resident, who lay crumpled on the ground in pain. "I'm surprised he didn't get hit by a car because we have A1A right here," said CBS4 Engineer Anthony Romano. "I think it was a miracle that he just flew over the street and into the thing."

Fort Lauderdale fire rescue crews quickly arrived on the scene and transported him to Broward General Medical Center. He is currently listed in critical condition, but his friends continue to insist they believe he will make a full recovery.

Kearney's friends say he was strapped into a harness with emergency releases. However, everything happened so fast, it's possible he had no time to think about unhooking his clasps. The incident is a very surreal reminder of the dangers inherent in Tropical Storm-force winds.

Last edited by Southflaguy; 08-19-2008, 11:59 AM.
    sigpic

It's not smart to try to mess with Mother Nature!

Last edited by cajunguy; 08-19-2008, 11:59 AM.
    "Yes sir, I know you have rights."
    "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

Wouldnt common sense tell you to simply LET GO??

Thats like me trying to roast marshmellows next to the fertilizer plant thats ablaze....

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
        Wouldnt common sense tell you to simply LET GO??

Thats like me trying to roast marshmellows next to the fertilizer plant thats ablaze....
        No, he was strapped to the para sail, he couldn't just let go...He must of been knocked on conscience when he was slammed on the sand, then the wind threw his body into the building...Must of happend real fast...
        sigpic

Comment

i just saw that on tv...ouch!

Comment

Huh... good for that guy.

Comment

If you knowingly go kite surfing in the middle of a tropical storm, you are obviously looking for a thrill. Looks like he got one!

Comment

I know a ton of kids that go out in cat 3 and go kite boarding with their long boards. Then again, most of them are dumb kids from Lighthouse Point..

Comment

the youtube video is gone, but watch the one on the news site.

It would have done him good to let go before he flew into the city. Looks like he had a couple chances to do that. Unless he was strapped in...which teaches us another lesson, don't strap yourself to something you have no control of! Pretty intense!
                  Last edited by exdrip; 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM.
                  "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Uh... duh?

I'm gonna go take my kayak over the dam now...brb.
                    sigpic

Comment

Darwinism at it's finest....
                      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

um can you say ouch note to self never strap yourself to a giant kite
                        Lawdog TCSO
                        In God We Trust all Others we Check NCIC
                        well daisy if you do

Comment

Dumb people give us a chance to be heros.
                          Geaux Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by sam I am
                            In a Hurricane!

Doh.
                            Doh DOH....
                            Originally posted by mookster
                            Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                            Originally posted by CityCopDC
                            I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                            Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                            I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                            -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Turd teacher NOT tornado tamer....
                              Originally posted by mookster
                              Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                              Originally posted by CityCopDC
                              I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                              Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                              I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                              -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3073 users online. 134 members and 2939 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X