300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm having a "Smurfette" day!

I've been ill for the last couple days. Having a cold in the middle of the summer sucks. I tossed and turned ALL night last night. The best sleep I had was between 5am and 7:03am. Why 7:03?

I awoke to yelling. It wasn't fighting. It was the "something just went REALLY WRONG" type of yelling.

I grabbed clothes off the floor and started putting them on as I was running towards the stairs. I've been running to nighttime fire and EMS calls for 15 years. You would think that I'm pretty well practiced in getting dressed and navigating stairs at the same time. Apparently I'm a little rusty. Right foot hit the third step, left foot missed the fourth. My butt hit every subsequent step. At least the front door wasn't open.

So I get outside to see what all of the commotion was about. Apparently the liner in our pool gave way and 15 THOUSAND gallons of water came rushing out of a 6" diameter hole in all of 5 minutes.

The neighbor was not so happy. Apparently he was waiting for another few weeks before he flooded the cranbery bog in his back yard.

So we all grabbed buckets and started bailing out window wells, checking foundations, and looking for any other signs of impending doom. None noted. Not much else we can do at this point. No use crying over spilled... water.

So I showered, got dressed, and wandered back to the kitchen for breakfast. I started pulling all the components together... whole-grain english muffins... turkey sausage... egg beaters... orange jui... orange jui... Nope. No orange juice.

Like other people neek their coffee to function in the morning, I need my orange juice. It's not a diabetic thing. It's a psychological, habitual thing. Screw it! I'll just stop at Burger King and pick one up on my way to work.

So I got in the car, rolled down the windows, opened the sunroof, and cranked the stereo. I was determined to turn my day around. I made it to BK without incident. Almost. I was the first car in the left-turn lane in front of the BK, waiting to make my turn, when I heard the screeching, the horns, and then the crash. I look to my right and see a huge cloud of smoke and dust, and glass starts raining down through my open sunroof. ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME!?!?!

So I reached down and turned on all the lights on my car. I radioed the dispatcher and advised them that I was stepping out with the crash, requested PD response, and would update on fire and EMS momentarily.

I grabbed my portable from the seat next to me, turned it on, and got out of the car to check on injuries. As I approach the first car, the driver opens her door and starts to get out. Apparently her dog decided it was time to play and jumped OVER the driver and bailed out into the intersection! GREAAAAT! I shouted over to the occupants of the other two vehicles and asked if anyone was hurt. One replied that she was a little shaken up.

So I keyed the mic on my portable to give the dispatcher an update. Apparently they can't hear me. WTF Over!? Oh. My battery was dead. But I just pulled it out of the charger. Ugh. So I walked back to the car and used the radio in the car to give the update. As I start interviewing the young lady who was "just shaken up" she starts complaining of neck and back pain. WONDERFUL. I get in the back seat of the car and start holding c-spine immobilization while I'm waiting for fire and EMS to arrive.

Somewhere in the 5 minutes it took for them to get there, the weather went from "not a cloud in the sky" to "the gods must be REALLY mad at me." It turned into nighttime. And it started raining. And hailing.

And my windows AND sunroof were still open.

When the ambulance arrived, I turned care over to them and then went back to my car. My car with a now freshly-washed exterior AND interior AND an inch of water and ice on my leather seats.

At least I had a couple towels in my gym bag. But with an inch of water and ice in my seats, it was difficult to pick out all of the glass. At that point, orange juice wasn't going to help anything, so I just continued on my merry way to work.

I have a bunch of emails and a bunch of voice mail waiting for me. It can wait.
    Last edited by hxd; 08-19-2008, 01:13 PM.

Hey! How about that "light show" last night? Wasn't that amazing?

Go here to view "having a bad day card."

Can't personalize it without an email addy.
    Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
    Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

It can always be worse, just think you could have been riding a motorcycle when it started pouring. Or you could have ordered something from BK, while the cook was taking his bath in the sink. It can always get worse!
      Originally posted by Smurfette_76
      You will always be disappointed when you expect rational behavior from irrational people.
      "I always carry a pen in my but, because you never know when things are going to crack off."
      Unnamed inmate VCJ

Comment

Wow, that is quite a morning!! :P

On the bright side, you weren't in the crash, you weren't injured, and although it sustained some watering, your car is probably not too much worse for wear.

Huggles!!

Comment

Sounds like you didn't have a good "What If" plan for your OJ. That'll be a 2 on your yearly eval.

P.S. You have a sunroof on your unit?? You must be the Chief!! As my avitar indicates, I like the Chiefs!!

Comment

Dang man.... I hope it gets better from there.

As someone who has had an inch+ of water in their car (litterally), A wet/dry shopvac and plenty of carpet cleaner will do wonders. And mine was river water...stinky and mucky. Cant even tell.

Good luck!
            "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
            Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
            Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

Sounds like you have some major issues with water today. I would just go home and get 6 pack of beer.

Comment

I got chicken noodle soup!
                ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                Oscar Wilde

Comment

Did you get chased by a goose?

No.

Hush yer whining!

Sorry, hon. Must have been that conversation...apparently, I am contagious. Who knew.
                  sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

OH my Godddd!! Glad youre OK. You need one Bourbon, one Scotch, one beer...

Comment

"Somebody always has it worse..."

live by this, you'll do great. But you did have a pretty ****ty morning I'll say.'
                      "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Well, the day from hell is over. It nearly went out in the fashion it came in. It included a traffic stop and me not having ID on me. I'll spare the details. Suffice it to say, I'm home and NOT writing this from a jail cell.

rubyrose-
                        Which light show? The one at midnight, the next one at 1am, or the one at 3am? Either way, I saw them all. Seems that's been the norm the last couple weeks.

Looker-
                        The car is actually my POV. I'm only a lowly first-line officer, and my squad doesn't issue cars. That's fine by me though - I prefer to run low profile. As soon as I call on the air, I become covered by my squad's insurance carrier. That's why I do everything via the radio.

TC-
                        Chicken noodle soup doesn't sound bad right about now. But on the other hand, neither does a Wendy's Baconator sandwich, fries, large Cherry Coke, and a small chili.

Smurfette-
                        I've got your goose right here, hon.

Mr. CO-
                        No beer. Water content is too high.

Yep. Someone always has it worse. But then again, someone always has it better. Tomorrow will be a better day. And if it's not, I'm sure I can find a padded room somewhere.

Comment

I missed the one at 3 a.m. I was in a dead sleep since the night before I had been an insomniac.

I turned off my computer. Several years ago my modem in the old PowerMac got zapped out by lightning. That all was WAY too close! I could swear there was a strike not more than a mile away.

But fun. I've really enjoyed this summer. Not too hot (we had summer in May, apparently). Rain keeps everything gorgeously green, and we've still had plenty of sunshine to enjoy. Not like the summer of 92 (or thereabouts) when it rained all day nearly every day.

Upstate NY in the summer ... good times.

Originally posted by hxd View Post
                          Well, the day from hell is over. It nearly went out in the fashion it came in. It included a traffic stop and me not having ID on me. I'll spare the details. Suffice it to say, I'm home and NOT writing this from a jail cell.

rubyrose-
                          Which light show? The one at midnight, the next one at 1am, or the one at 3am? Either way, I saw them all. Seems that's been the norm the last couple weeks.
                          Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
                          Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
                          A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Originally posted by hxd View Post

TC-
                            Chicken noodle soup doesn't sound bad right about now. But on the other hand, neither does a Wendy's Baconator sandwich, fries, large Cherry Coke, and a small chili.

how 'bout some chicken and rice with steamed veggies?
                            ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
                            Oscar Wilde

Comment

well you know what they say "when it rains, it pours" haha sorry but i couldn't resist. hope tomorrow goes better for you
                              This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6257 users online. 345 members and 5912 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X