Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl Sent Text Message Moments Before Crash

Girl Sent Text Message Moments Before Crash

HIGHLAND, Calif. — Authorities say a 16-year-old girl who died after losing control of her car had been texting on her cell phone moments before the accident.

Kayla Preuss, of Highland, was driving on the Interstate 10 Freeway in Redlands when she lost control of her car and crashed. She died of head injuries.

Authorities say Preuss had been driving drunk and was speeding. But another factor may have contributed to the crash.

Phone records show Preuss was texting just before the accident. Her cell phone, which was flipped open, was found resting on the floorboard by her feet.

Preuss' mother Kelly said she hopes the accident will make other people think before texting and driving.

Hey Mom what about the whole drinking driving and speeding part?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Uh yeah, I'm WAY more concerned about the DRINKING and SPEEDING part. Generally it's easier to text while driving if your sober and doing the speed limit.

Comment

Hey heres a novel idea. Stay sober and how about you wait to text until after you are at your destination? I have seen a bunch of people failing to maintain a lane because they're busy messing with their cell phones.
      "Valor would cease to be a virtue, if there were no injustice." -Agesilaus the Great

Comment

I think the drinking and driving part is probably a given... It's something that we all know we aren't suppose to do... It's kinda like robbing banks... It's just not something you're suppose to do.

Now the texting and driving... I'm as guilty as everyone else that does it, I think it's probably something that should be addressed because it is causing more and more accidents every year.

The question is... How do we enforce it?

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3379012

Texting May Have Played Part in Fatal Teen Car Crash
          Authorities May Never Be Sure if Driver Really Was Text Messaging
          July 15, 2007 —

When five high school cheerleaders in western New York died in an automobile accident after going out to celebrate their graduation, a community was crushed.

Now, authorities say it is possible that the fiery, head-on collision with a tractor trailer may have been caused by a distracted driver sending text messages.

"Cell phones are a distraction and could be a contributing factor in this accident," said Ontario County Sheriff Phillip Povero.

Cell phone records show a text message was sent from the phone belonging to the driver, Bailey Goodman, at 10:05:52. A reply was sent to her phone at 10:06:29. Thirty-eight seconds later, someone called 911 to report the accident that killed Bailey and her friends.

"Cell phone records indicate the phone was in use," Povero said. "We'll never be able to clearly state that she was the one doing the text messages."

Text messaging may be one of the most dangerous distractions for any driver.

"Clearly, the problem with texting is the same portion of your mind that you need to be using when you're focusing on the road is the same portion that you're using when you're texting," said Michael Pina of AAA.

For young, inexperienced drivers, texting could be even more dangerous. And yet, 46 percent of teens in a new AAA/Seventeen magazine survey admitted to texting while driving. Fifty-one percent said they talk on cell phones while driving, another distraction.

"I do and it's very dangerous," one woman said. "I have these little flashes in my mind of thinking about getting into an accident while I'm doing it."

Four states have made it illegal to drive and talk on a cell phone without a hands-free device. But so far, only Washington state has enacted a law banning text messaging while driving.
          Drinking or not, it is stupid (not to mention deadly) to give your attention to typing and sending a text message while driving.
          Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
          Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
          A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post
            http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3379012

Drinking or not, it is stupid (not to mention deadly) to give your attention to typing and sending a text message while driving.
            Agreed, but don't you think the drinking was the bigger factor? I text when I drive occasionally but I can't imagine doing it drunk.

Comment

it has been a proven fact that using a cell phone while driving can impair you even as much as drinking.
              This girl not only was impaired by alcohol she was impaired doubly as she was texting also. Sad, but she got what others have gotten. The one RR listed, there was one here of a 17 YO male. The worst thing people do is not being alert while driving. That includes talking on the cell phone (which killed a patrol officer here) texting ( as well as reading a paper) applying make up and any thing else that people THINK they can do while driving.
              stay alert to the road., that car in front of you can brake for any number of reasons.
              ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
              Oscar Wilde

Comment

I can barely TALK on the phone while driving. I can't imagine texting.

Texting requires not only that you have at least one hand off the wheel, but that you also look down to see both the keys you are punching AND how they appear in that tiny screen.

You wouldn't pull out a pen and paper and write a letter while you are driving, would you? Or maybe you would.

Regardless, it is a DISTRACTION. It takes not only your hand off the wheel but your EYES OFF THE ROAD. And then, of course there's the mental distraction, focusing your attention on what you are writing rather than what is happening in front of you. All while you are moving inside a vehicle that is in essence a deadly weapon.

I simply cannot fathom why anyone of reasonable intelligence could consider this an appropriate thing to do.

What is it that makes you in such a rush that you cannot wait until you stop (or at least pull over) in order to send a text message?

Originally posted by Columbus View Post
                Agreed, but don't you think the drinking was the bigger factor? I text when I drive occasionally but I can't imagine doing it drunk.
                Last edited by rubyrose; 08-18-2008, 07:39 AM.
                A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Hell, sometimes I text and drive. But I work midnights, so there ain't nothing on the road 'cept me. Plus, I only look down to read, I know where the buttons are.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gadphto89
                    another paris hilton generation teen bites the dust

Please don't refer to my generation as the "Paris Hilton Generation", that's just wrong.

Comment

I can text without looking at my phone as I have a full qwerty keyboard on my cellphone...

Comment

Well, I recall a month or so back a story about a man whose car split in half when he hit a tree...while he was texting.

There may not be any other cars on the road, but you sure as heck have SOMETHING out there.

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
                        Hell, sometimes I text and drive. But I work midnights, so there ain't nothing on the road 'cept me. Plus, I only look down to read, I know where the buttons are.

Comment

Ahhh....

So you take BOTH hands off the wheel?

Originally posted by Hoosier_Boy View Post
                          I can text without looking at my phone as I have a full qwerty keyboard on my cellphone...

Comment

And another thing. It's a freggin phone. Why not just call and talk to the other person? I for one can not stand receiving text's and I never send them. Why take 4 minutes to type what can be said in 1?
                            "Valor would cease to be a virtue, if there were no injustice." -Agesilaus the Great

Comment

I don't even dial while driving. I use voice commands to dial the number for me.

Drinking
                              +Speeding
                              +Texting
                              =========
                              Deadly Combination
                              http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6003 users online. 357 members and 5646 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X