Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it legal or illegally to look up my police history?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PABear31
    replied
    php,
    An expungement is a civil process and is not covered by the contract of any public defender's office. You need to hire a private attorney to do the expungement. Also the DA's office may contest the expungement if he/she feels there is a good reason that the record of the arrest and conviction stand.
    Yes you are right that the word expunged means "erased". But what actually happens is that is any copies of your criminal history that are attached to the police report are destroyed and the word expunged is stamped on the police report, but the police report still exists including any report of the final disposition of the case. The District Attorny's office still retains their case records the court still has their records and the FBI still has their records of the arrest and conviction. The only thing that an expungement does that I can tell is limit who can learn about your criminal record. Certain employers (particularly the government and certain private industries) can still find out about expunged criminal histories.

By the way public defenders are all attorneys. It's a requirenment. They are just attorneys who practice criminal law under contract to the government to defend indigent criminal defendants,

Leave a comment:

• FireCop86
    replied
    lol thats funny i looked up my name and it showed i had a "traffic/other" the only time i have ever gotten a ticket was a fix it ticket from CHP for tinted windows, wouldn't think that would show up on my record though

Leave a comment:

• php111
    replied
    As I done a search on yellowbook.com, I didn't recognize the Public Defender name. I went to Google.com and found the PO for Wyoming Couty Adult Probation and reconize his name. For some reason I thought his name was Bill but don't see a number for him. Can he do anything to expunged the charges?

William Colbenson (Wyoming County, PA Adult Probation Officer)

Leave a comment:

• php111
    replied
    PABear31,

Thank you for your reply and info! I always tell the truth about charges and so on. Will I need a Public Defender or an Attorney? I had a Public Defender once when I was charged but I forget his name. I don't even remember his first or last name. As I looked up the definition for expunged and it means destroy or erase. If that is the case then why won't it go a way? One other question. Let's go back about 7-8 years ago. The PO (Probabtion Officer) spoke to the DA and tried lower or drop the charges and the DA said no. What can make them do it now but they wouldn't do it 7-8 years ago when I first got charged?

Originally posted by PABear31 View Post
    php111,
    Go to the nearest PSP station and request a criminal history check form. Fill out the form and mail it with the required fee to the address on the form. The State Police will send you a copy of your criminal history. Then if you choose to you can petition the court to have your record expunged. I believe that you will have to file the petition in Wyoming County, but I could be wrong. If the judge agrees you can have your records expunged. However, if you ever apply for certain jobs be aware that records don't really go away. You still would have to report the arrest and guilty plea during a background investigation or run the risk of not being hired or possibly being fired and or prosecuted even years later for lying about your background.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs. Hoppes
    replied
    I'm clean. I checked both married and maiden.

Leave a comment:

• Transporter
    replied
    Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
    There is a new site - www.criminalsearches.com - where you can look anyone up for free.
    I checked this out and ran my own name for kicks. It turned up a guy by the exact same name as mine who had three convictions for AFV and some traffic stuff. Scared me to death for a minute!

Leave a comment:

• PABear31
    replied
    php111,
    Go to the nearest PSP station and request a criminal history check form. Fill out the form and mail it with the required fee to the address on the form. The State Police will send you a copy of your criminal history. Then if you choose to you can petition the court to have your record expunged. I believe that you will have to file the petition in Wyoming County, but I could be wrong. If the judge agrees you can have your records expunged. However, if you ever apply for certain jobs be aware that records don't really go away. You still would have to report the arrest and guilty plea during a background investigation or run the risk of not being hired or possibly being fired and or prosecuted even years later for lying about your background.

Leave a comment:

• php111
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    How did you not know this?

Because of the same date I didn't know they charged me twice for the same thing and on the same date. Offense #1 is WAV and Offense #2 is Migrated DisPosition. I thought there was only one charge. On another forum. They said it may be a bookkeeping change because of the case numbers. 1.) I don't know what a bookkeeping change is and 2.) I went there asking Offense #1 WAV-Waived for Court meaning charges are dropped? My case numbers are below.

Offense #1: Case Number: 44-3-04CR-0000088-00

Offense #2: Case Number: WYOMINGCP-66-CR-0000280-2000

Leave a comment:

• The Dude
    replied
    Originally posted by php111 View Post
    I didn't know I had "2" charges for the same thing. Offense #1 Simple Assault. Offense #2 Simple Assault.

How did you not know this?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Keep in mind, it's not illegal to look up your criminal history where it is reposited, it's just illegal to use the computer indexing system to find it.

For, example, you could go to the county where you were convicted and anyone can look up a conviction. But, terms of use agreements with NCIC and similiar state data base systems, don't allow anything but official inquiries. Many data mining services can do the same thing for a fee, anyway, these days.

Leave a comment:

• php111
    replied
    Originally posted by dixiebelle View Post
    If you were fingerprinted for the crime then you got an FBI number which means that it will always be on your criminal history. You can generally pay to check your criminal history at your local sheriff's office. Just call and find out.
    Thank you for the info!

Leave a comment:

• dixiebelle
    replied
    If you were fingerprinted for the crime then you got an FBI number which means that it will always be on your criminal history. You can generally pay to check your criminal history at your local sheriff's office. Just call and find out.

Leave a comment:

• Jellybean400
    replied
    Youre welcome, i'm glad it helped.

Since it's free, it may NOT be 100% up-to-date, but it can give you something to go on at least.

Leave a comment:

• php111
    replied
    Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
    There is a new site - www.criminalsearches.com - where you can look anyone up for free. I dont know how much it tells you, but maybe it can help. I havent tried it yet.
    Uhh thank you. It's what I was looking for. I didn't know I had "2" charges for the same thing. Offense #1 Simple Assault. Offense #2 Simple Assault.

Leave a comment:

• Jellybean400
    replied
    There is a new site - www.criminalsearches.com - where you can look anyone up for free. I dont know how much it tells you, but maybe it can help. I havent tried it yet.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2838 users online. 164 members and 2674 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X