Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it legal or illegally to look up my police history?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it legal or illegally to look up my police history?

Hello everyone,

Is it legal or illegal to look up my police records and is it legal or illegal to run a criminal background check? Is it free to do it? Back in March of 2000 of Simple Assault charges. I would like to know if it's still on my record. I plead guilty to it. The PO gave me 3 months of unsupervised time cause he felt it was non sense. It happened when I was 18 and now I am 26. The PO has spoken to the DA and also tried to lower to M3 or a Summary Offense or drop the charges and the DA said no way so it was charged as Simple Assault in M2 (Misdemeanor in the 2nd degree). Even though it's 8 years ago. Does it stay on records for the rest of my life or will it be removed? Thank you for any replies.

In NC it would be a serious violation to do a back ground check on yourself if you do it through NCIC, but you can go to the clerk of court and get one for 10 bucks. Might want to check your clerk of court. hope this helps.
    "Silence! I Kill You!"

Comment

Originally posted by NCBRASS View Post
      In NC it would be a serious violation to do a back ground check on yourself if you do it through NCIC, but you can go to the clerk of court and get one for 10 bucks. Might want to check your clerk of court. hope this helps.

Thank you. Does anyone know if it's a serious violation in PA? I don't even know how to run one. I believe I haven't had one run on me in years. I also had my picture taken for the book. Not sure what book it is. Maybe wanted so if someone seen me do something they can pick out my picture.

Comment

Start with the Clerk of the Court that issued the conviction. You could also go to the County Clerk. You can bring a proceeding to expunge pro se, but I recommend having an attorney do it. It has to be done for multiple levels and agencies of government -- each that would be keeping the records. Probably about $300.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
          Start with the Clerk of the Court that issued the conviction. You could also go to the County Clerk. You can bring a proceeding to expunge pro se, but I recommend having an attorney do it. It has to be done for multiple levels and agencies of government -- each that would be keeping the records. Probably about $300.
          Can any County do it since I don't live in that County anymore? Right now I live in Lehigh County but in a few months or more, I am moving to Philadelphia County. The County of my conviction was Wyoming County PA (Not the State of Wyoming). They have a Wyoming County in PA and it's in the middle of no where.

Comment

There is a new site - www.criminalsearches.com - where you can look anyone up for free. I dont know how much it tells you, but maybe it can help. I havent tried it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
              There is a new site - www.criminalsearches.com - where you can look anyone up for free. I dont know how much it tells you, but maybe it can help. I havent tried it yet.
              Uhh thank you. It's what I was looking for. I didn't know I had "2" charges for the same thing. Offense #1 Simple Assault. Offense #2 Simple Assault.

Comment

Youre welcome, i'm glad it helped.

Since it's free, it may NOT be 100% up-to-date, but it can give you something to go on at least.

Comment

If you were fingerprinted for the crime then you got an FBI number which means that it will always be on your criminal history. You can generally pay to check your criminal history at your local sheriff's office. Just call and find out.

Comment

Originally posted by dixiebelle View Post
                    If you were fingerprinted for the crime then you got an FBI number which means that it will always be on your criminal history. You can generally pay to check your criminal history at your local sheriff's office. Just call and find out.
                    Thank you for the info!

Comment

Keep in mind, it's not illegal to look up your criminal history where it is reposited, it's just illegal to use the computer indexing system to find it.

For, example, you could go to the county where you were convicted and anyone can look up a conviction. But, terms of use agreements with NCIC and similiar state data base systems, don't allow anything but official inquiries. Many data mining services can do the same thing for a fee, anyway, these days.

Comment

Originally posted by php111 View Post
                        I didn't know I had "2" charges for the same thing. Offense #1 Simple Assault. Offense #2 Simple Assault.

How did you not know this?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                          How did you not know this?

Because of the same date I didn't know they charged me twice for the same thing and on the same date. Offense #1 is WAV and Offense #2 is Migrated DisPosition. I thought there was only one charge. On another forum. They said it may be a bookkeeping change because of the case numbers. 1.) I don't know what a bookkeeping change is and 2.) I went there asking Offense #1 WAV-Waived for Court meaning charges are dropped? My case numbers are below.

Offense #1: Case Number: 44-3-04CR-0000088-00

Offense #2: Case Number: WYOMINGCP-66-CR-0000280-2000

Comment

php111,
                            Go to the nearest PSP station and request a criminal history check form. Fill out the form and mail it with the required fee to the address on the form. The State Police will send you a copy of your criminal history. Then if you choose to you can petition the court to have your record expunged. I believe that you will have to file the petition in Wyoming County, but I could be wrong. If the judge agrees you can have your records expunged. However, if you ever apply for certain jobs be aware that records don't really go away. You still would have to report the arrest and guilty plea during a background investigation or run the risk of not being hired or possibly being fired and or prosecuted even years later for lying about your background.
                            When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
                              There is a new site - www.criminalsearches.com - where you can look anyone up for free.
                              I checked this out and ran my own name for kicks. It turned up a guy by the exact same name as mine who had three convictions for AFV and some traffic stuff. Scared me to death for a minute!
                              visit my blog if you are so inclined.
                              http://dwmeeks.wordpress.com
                              (I'm trying to drive up the hits.)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4160 users online. 294 members and 3866 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X