300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Academy Academic Portion.......with an IEP

Hi, I am going into the academy and freaking out over the academic portion of the academy. I have had an IEP all through school including college. I did well in college but for someone who has an IEP we are granted additional time for tests etc. We are protected by the ADA. I am really stressing over taking the exams and passing them. Does anyone have any insight regarding this? also, for those who have been in the academy how many people actually failed out because of the test they took? Do we know what passing grades are?

What’s your IEP / 504 for, and have you always needed it, seriously?

As a kid I was never diagnosed with ADD, I grew up in a period where ADD wasn’t a Thing, you just needed to apply yourself more, pay attention,…..and stop goofing around.

Both of my children were diagnosed with ADD, put on meds and the difference between being on and off was definitely noticeable, in a positive way.

I was diagnosed with ADD late in life, as an adult, tried meds for a while, but didn’t really notice a pronounced difference other than feeling slowed down, which is what the meds do IF you actually have ADD. By this time I had already learned to work within my known limitations, and channel the extra energy in a positive way; setting and achieving personal and work goals, actually CRUSHING them. I keep pretty active and don’t / can’t watch much TV, lol!

So, at some point in your life, the accommodations with cease being offered, if not in the Academy, definitely in FTO, you can count on that. I can’t see an FTO offering anything extra to his rookie.

Again, at some point, you’ll have to come to terms with your issue and learn to work with or around it.

In life we’re all responsible for our actions and their repercussions. If you’re truly following your life goal, LE, try the Academy without any accommodations. An LEO needing accommodations on the street isn’t someone that I’d ever feel comfortable working with, so much so that I’d feel uncomfortable being backed by this person. I’d politely and respectfully voice my concern about our / my safety.

The criminal element most certainly will NOT be affording you any special accommodations once on the street,……..

Good luck, and keep us updated!

SEMPER FI

Comment

• missyp
      missyp commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW i don't have ADD or any medical/psych issues. Because I have an IEP doesn't mean that I am unable to complete the academy nor would someone be in danger of being my partner. Not sure where someone would be uncomfortable working with me because it takes me 1/2 hour to complete a written exam compared to someone else who can complete it in 15 minutes. I am not expecting special accommodations or special treatment by any means during or after the academy. As a young adult I have come to terms with my "issues" like you said, but quite frankly i don't think you fully understand that because someone has an IEP/504 is a danger to one self or others. Thanks and I will let you know when I graduate.

• NolaT
      NolaT commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m not bashing you specifically, I’ve fully admitted I have issues with concentration myself; ADD.

My concern is that for whatever reason, anyone with accommodations, is not able to comprehend and fully process the information in the normally allotted, generally understood as enough for everyone else, timeframe.
      Last edited by NolaT; 11-01-2022, 11:25 AM.

I could not agree with Nola T more.
    Follow his advice.
    Make this happen.
    I'm also a big believer in goal (reasonable, specific) setting.
    You can do this. They wouldn't have hired you and spent the
    $$ if they didn't think you could do this.
    Others have done this.

Good luck

Comment

I don't remember extra time on tests but that was a long time ago before ADD was widely known. There was plenty of tutoring and assistance offered academically and physically for those that sought it out.

Comment

I’ve never heard of an IEP for the academy, any academy for that matter. Getting tutored, yes, but an “Individual Education Plan”, in the academy…I’m not seeing that. I’m assuming that nothing was revealed during your background investigation, or medical regarding any learning difficulties, as you stated you’re about to start the academy. I wish you well, for your sake, as well as for those you will serve once and if you graduate. The job nowadays is hard enough with the way police are micromanaged and handcuffed.
        Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

Great. More time because….
          The streets will kill you because there isn’t more time.

You either do it or not. We can’t keep mollycoddling people who can’t do the job without special assistance.

Comment

Always think about the end result when you're in class... If it's something your REALLY want, you WILL make it happen. If you did well in your college courses, you should do fine in the academy. Especially if it is a subject of interest for you. Study with your fellow cadets in your free time, and try to make it as enjoyable as possible. Good luck

Comment

Agreed ^^^^^

If you want it bad enough, you’ll make it happen.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Comment

Originally posted by missyp01 View Post
                Hi, I am going into the academy and freaking out over the academic portion of the academy. I have had an IEP all through school including college. I did well in college but for someone who has an IEP we are granted additional time for tests etc. We are protected by the ADA. I am really stressing over taking the exams and passing them. Does anyone have any insight regarding this? also, for those who have been in the academy how many people actually failed out because of the test they took? Do we know what passing grades are?

missyp commented
                11-01-2022, 08:38 AM

BTW i don't have ADD or any medical/psych issues. Because I have an IEP doesn't mean that I am unable to complete the academy nor would someone be in danger of being my partner. Not sure where someone would be uncomfortable working with me because it takes me 1/2 hour to complete a written exam compared to someone else who can complete it in 15 minutes. I am not expecting special accommodations or special treatment by any means during or after the academy. As a young adult I have come to terms with my "issues" like you said, but quite frankly i don't think you fully understand that because someone has an IEP/504 is a danger to one self or others. Thanks and I will let you know when I graduate.

As stated by NolaT............................ A criminal is not going to give you an accommodation nor should the FTO.

Quite honestly if you need help with written exams, you will have a very hard time passing the "practical" exams and exercises at the academy and there should never be accommodations in that respect. I highly doubt you have any idea just hard that part of the academy really is and the amount of concentration needed to survive

By the way I am VERY familiar with IEP programs and situations where they are appropriate.

This is probably going be the time where you either buck up and go it on your own with your intestinal fortitude or fail on you own merits . Yes I understand it is a "tough love" statement. But reality is reality
                Last edited by Iowa #1603; 11-04-2022, 06:26 PM.
                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Decided
                  Decided commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No FTO in NYPD

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2258 users online. 98 members and 2160 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X