Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been through four. In each academy, the biggest problem was people wanting to talk when it was prohibited.

So if you can follow instructions you should be fine.

Comment

I went through my academy in my mid-30s as night school while working a full-time job (business field). It was community-college-style, with little to no physical standards. My class met twice weekly for 4 hours per night, with a sprinkling of Sat/Sun full days. Took a year. The normal academy standard at that time was about 10 weeks.

The hardest part was working my schedule around attending class.

Comment

In my academy class (1998) before age restrictions were established our candidate age range was 23 to 55. I was 28 and the person who sat behind me was 40 (prior LE) and I affectionally called him Pa. The 55 year old was living his life long dream and was physically better prepared than me but I was a slacker then. Ashamed that I was in the best shape of my life for the academy a few years later I worked to better my fitness level as a personal benchmark. So I guess I can say if I went through my academy in my 30's as I was prepared then I would have been fine. The only things that got people out were injuries and not passing state test and a domestic. I agree with others as do not try to over do things which is what happened in most injury cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
          I went through two academies- the first one was in my 20s, and was cake. The second one was at 43 and 44, and was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Every academy is different.

My first academy was probably an "easy" academy.

The second one was absolutely a difficult one, as judged by the injuries and attrition. Our PT was run by the SWAT team commander, who was a spectacular athlete, and he treated us like he thought he was training Navy SEALs. We ran up to 10 miles a day, 5 days a week, in tropical mid-day summer sun. Almost every day, at least one person would drop and get transported by ambulance to the ER for IV fluids. Most (maybe all) of them never came back. We had numerous broken bones during ground fighting- I finished with a cracked rib that I refused to acknowledge. Out of about 1,000 applicants, our academy started with 22, and graduated 6. I benched 285, did 100 push-ups, about 100 sit-ups, ran the 1.5 mile run in 9:28 (a 6:18 mile pace), did 18 dead-hang overhand pull-ups, and that level of performance put me in the middle of my class.

I second everything that tanksoldier said, plus DON'T drink. Even though I had been a distance athlete when I was younger (200 mile bicycle races) and did triathlons into my late 40s, hydration was a struggle, and any use of alcohol during those 9 months would have made it worse.

Learn hydration. Learn sports diet. Learn sports medicine.

You might get lucky and have an easy academy...or you might not.
          What was the commander training for war???
          That is a grueling academy routine I can only imagine designed to weed out most. I believe fitness is important for the job but that is on a WHOLE different level. Well I hope the tactics, laws and procedures training wasn't cut to accommodate all the fitness conditioning lol.

Comment

I’d have to believe / hope that most current Academy are going easier on unnecessarily hard PT, so as not to disqualify their current, hard to recruit, recruits.

Comment

Our fed motto: “71 gets you a badge and a gun.”

Comment

As long as you come in in pretty good shape. Not talking pro athlete, professional fighter, etc shape but if you at least made working out a semi-lifestyle then you should be fine.

Comment

As with the Academy as a whole,…..how bad do you want it?!

Comment

If you want to do it, you’ll be fine. I went thru when I was 30, after being a Marine. Besides the typical silly stuff that comes with any academy or military boot camp, it’s really just the drastic difference in maturity and life experience you will have compared to someone fresh out of college or just turned 21 with no real job experience or previous responsibility.

Comment

I've been through a Fed Academy during my mid 20s and am currently finishing my second local academy at the ripe age of 38. The second time wasn't that bad and I actually felt more physically prepared. The difference in maturity levels is huge and could tell the difference when I started back in Feb. The oldest at my first academy was 37 since there was an age max for Fed LEO and for the current academy, our oldest was 44.

Comment

I did an easy academy (4 nights a week so i could work) , and i wasn't in my 30s just yet. I did have probably 8 or so years on 90% of the class though. The hardest thing was not the physical aspect but the time, coming straight from work and heading to school with no break. On top of that, doing my normal workout because that academy did not focus on the physical part much during class due to the time issue.

When it came time to test i was in the top 10% though in the run, and probably 3rd or 4th in the other areas. I think it's all about what shape you have kept yourself in over time. If the physical aspect is in check over the previous few years it puts you far far ahead of most.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2252 users online. 157 members and 2095 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X