Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZeroMood View Post
    Edit: I'm talking about Georgia, fyi.

So i have the option of taking out federal loans to pay for my academy, which will be less than $5,000.. Do yall think it would be a wise investment? I'm in the process with several PD's, including border patrol, but this academy starts in august and I dont want to lose my place if putting myself through is a better idea than countlessly applying at departments.
    In honesty, without knowing your circumstance its impossible to say.

There are times a pay-to-stay academy is OK, other times its not.

There are places were there are essentially NO department academies or sponsorship.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 06-25-2021, 11:29 PM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

That's not hard.

Hard is doing CPR on a blue-colored infant while getting circled by $#itbirds in a drug house, hoping your cover shows up in time to save you from getting jumped.

Hard is holding a mother in your arms after she lost all of her children and both of her parents to a highly-intoxicated illegal alien that blew a red light at 75 mph on a license revoked for previous DUIs, in an uninsured unregistered hoopty.

Hard is the screams of the mother as she arrives on scene while we're cutting down the cold stiff body of her utterly gorgeous 17 year old daughter that hung herself because somebody said something mean to her online.

Hard is completing ground fighting class with two broken ribs, without making a peep about it.

Hard is working 51 hours on 3 hours of sleep.

Hard is burying brother and sister officers that lost their life in the line of duty.

Hard is running during academy up to 10 miles of hills a day, five days a week, in mid-day summer sun, having an average of one classmate a day drop and get transported by ambulance to the ER for IV fluids, and getting used to having to go to class afterwards with ice bags ace-wrapped to your knees.

Hard is running towards gunfire, when everyone else is running away, to protect people that you've never met.

Hard is getting attacked by one of the pitbulls chained up at the door of a known drug house, trying to make entry after hearing a female scream for help from within.

Hard is a carload of five teenagers headed home from a party, clipping a guardrail and sliding broadside into the path of an oncoming car, with a closing speed of 120 mph or so, cutting their car in half. We were picking body parts out of trees, on both sides of the road.

There's a whole big world of actual hard that we are called upon to deal with. And this job isn't for everyone...
      Touche. Maybe hard wasn't quite the correct word. I guess my point was that at times it seems a little extra how some people get blasted on certain post. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by kflo01 View Post

Touche. Maybe hard wasn't quite the correct word. I guess my point was that at times it seems a little extra how some people get blasted on certain post. That's all.
        Blasted might not be the right word either.

Blasted is what we get during "choir practice" on the back parking lot after getting off work at sunrise, because we have to wash all the hard stuff out of our brains with alcohol...
        Last edited by Aidokea; 06-26-2021, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Blasted might not be the right word either.

Blasted is what we get during choir practice on the back parking lot after getting off work at sunrise, because we have to wash all the hard stuff out of our brains with alcohol...

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroMood View Post
            Edit: I'm talking about Georgia, fyi.

So i have the option of taking out federal loans to pay for my academy, which will be less than $5,000.. Do yall think it would be a wise investment? I'm in the process with several PD's, including border patrol, but this academy starts in august and I dont want to lose my place if putting myself through is a better idea than countlessly applying at departments.
            I self sponsored my way through the academy, well I should clarify.....the federal government self sponsored me, by way of the GI Bill. Although my reasons were a little different. I was on the verge of getting out of the military and did not have enough time to apply and wait for an agency to pick me up. I had saved up enough money to live off of and provide for my family for the six months I was about to attend the academy.

I did law enforcement when I was in the service and I had a secret clearance, so I was pretty confident that I would pass a background. It worked out for me pretty well and I got hired on by my first choice agency the day before I graduated the academy. During the academy I had several other departments that were not my first choice trying to recruit me. So I would have gotten picked up by someone, whether my first choice wanted me or not.

Now, with that being said, my recommendation is to apply all over and try to get a department to send you through on their dime. My situation was unique and was not the way I intended for it to go, but it still worked out in the end, thank God.

Here are a list of pros and cons for self sponsoring.

PROS:

1. Checks off a box on a prerequisite for an agency (academy trained)
            2. Saves potential hiring departments from the headache, time and money to hire and send you through an academy
            3. Not as painful for the department if you wash out, they don't have as much skin in the game
            4. Puts your application higher on the list from the other applications
            5. Shows your determination and commitment
            6. Four months out from your hire date, you are now a solo cop, ups the warm body count that is working a shift a lot quicker
            7. If you don't get hired at least you are half way to getting your Associates Degree (30 credits is typically awarded to an academy graduate)
            8. You might get recruited and agencies are aggressive to hire you quick with all the competition while you are in the academy

CONS:

1. You could get injured while in the academy, no worker's comp, or anything for you to fall back on
            2. You may not pass the hiring process for whatever reason, now you are out money, time and direction
            3. You get picked up by one of those more rare departments that require you to attend their agency specific academy
            4. Financially hard, especially if you have no savings and a family to provide for, no medical insurance and so on
            5. If you barely squeaked by in the academy and your performance was poor, you better believe the agencies you applied to will find out. Good luck getting hired with that reputation
            6. The stress of not knowing whether you will be hired for sure

Anyway, hope that helps.

Comment

OP, it is like that in some parts of the country. Where I am at, you will not get hired by a small agency unless you have already completed the academy. That said, I get the impression that you have a background issue. In regards to the three places that said they would hire you, have they actually completed a background on you?

Comment

The work history can be an issue with some departments but there are some that are willing to over look some issues. Just keep trying.

I'm my opinion I would let a department pay me through the academy. There's a lot of departments in Georgia that will send you to the academy with a 2 year commitment with that department. But some do view it as a positive if you put yourself through the academy. If you do put yourself through, then you shouldn't have to sign a 2 year commitment. When I went through the academy we had about 2 that were paying their way through it. Before they graduated the we're hired with small departments.

In Florida it's different at least where I'm from. About the only way to get hired is to be certified or put yourself through the academy. Of course there were some exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by SOCAleo View Post
                  2. You may not pass the hiring process for whatever reason, now you are out money, time and direction
                  Bingo...

Comment

There are departments so desperate, they're offering $40,000 signing bonuses- anybody that has to pay to put themselves through an academy in the year 2021, is probably not capable of getting hired at all.

https://www.hermosabeach.gov/our-gov...ice-department
                    Last edited by Aidokea; 06-29-2021, 05:10 PM.

Comment

There are departments so desperate, they're offering $40,000 signing bonuses- anybody that has to pay to put themselves through an academy in the year 2021, is probably not capable of getting hired at all.

Or they arent looking hard enough or in the right places. OP IDK where you live but are you limited just to GA?

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                        OP, it is like that in some parts of the country. Where I am at, you will not get hired by a small agency unless you have already completed the academy. That said, I get the impression that you have a background issue. In regards to the three places that said they would hire you, have they actually completed a background on you?
                        Being the OP, a conditional offer from one of them and I'd be in the class ASAP!

Comment

There are... but not in Colorado.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Aidokea
                            Aidokea commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A lot of places also have funds available to assist with relocation expenses.

• tanksoldier
                            tanksoldier commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Bellevue, WA was offering $40k, probably still is... there's a reason departments with hiring incentives have them.

I would not recommend it. Try to get sponsored to the academy for a year or two. If you cannot get hired for an academy spot by an agency, then that might be your first clue not to put yourself through an academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4370 users online. 291 members and 4079 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X