Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I pay my way through Academy?

Edit: I'm talking about Georgia, fyi.

So i have the option of taking out federal loans to pay for my academy, which will be less than $5,000.. Do yall think it would be a wise investment? I'm in the process with several PD's, including border patrol, but this academy starts in august and I dont want to lose my place if putting myself through is a better idea than countlessly applying at departments.
    Last edited by ZeroMood; 06-24-2021, 11:56 PM.
    Stay strapped, or get clapped.

-George Washington

I mean if that is the ONLY option you had and you REALLY wanted it that bad then whos to tell you not to. But in saying that have you tried of or thought these other options?

1) Borrowing from friends or family
    2) Personal Loan (something like One Main or fron a local credit union)
    3) Credit cards
    4) Trying to sell 5k worth of stuff we all "keep" that we really dont need.

Sure there are some others I havent thought of.

Comment

• ZeroMood
      ZeroMood commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate the input!

With so many departments hurting for officers, it might not be a wise financial move.

​​​It could also depend on what's in your background and if you are employable as an officer. If you meet or exceed the POST minimum standards then it could open a few more doors. Some smaller departments still do not have the budgets to send someone through the academy.

But some of those smaller departments are still going to want to hire more seasoned certified officers. Rookie officers require more attention and OJT. With everything that's been in the news from around the country, Atlanta and that one GSP trooper class, they've mandated new requirements and some places are more selective in who they hire.

IMO it will depend on what your background is like.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
      Winter_Patriot commented
      Editing a comment
      The people I've known who did this were picked up by local agencies that were desperate for new officers, places like oil boomtowns. I'd only pay my way if I wasn't competitive any other way. It's a big risk to spend that money and there's also the opportunity cost of putting in that time without a job lined up.
      Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 06-25-2021, 08:25 AM.

• ZeroMood
      ZeroMood commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate your input!
      Atlanta PD straight up told me that my inconsistent work history was my problem and that they'd run it by their supervisor. Still in the process, so I dont think its a problem for them. Mind you, alot of the inconsistency was in my early 20's. I'm almost 30 now.

I'm a big fan of 'pay your way' academies. First, they provide decent paying gigs for frogs (fat retired old guys) who get to regal students with stories about what it was like back in the good ol' days, when nurses and waitresses swooned and a taser was something on Star Trek. Second, half of the graduates won't get hired by LE agencies (for whatever reason) and will end up at security companies making $14/hour, a wage which will take 10 years to pay off the academy tuition loan. Third, go ahead and put yourself through the academy because BP will then call and you get to attend another academy, and who wouldn't enjoy six more months of morning inspections and showering with dudes.
    Last edited by Ratatatat; 06-25-2021, 08:20 AM.
    Quickness is the essence of war.

-Sun Tzu

Comment

• westside popo
      westside popo commented
      Editing a comment
      To be fair, all the police academies here are state ran or by a few local departments. There are some at local colleges but all the full time instructors are paid by the state (GPSTC). They'll sometimes use certified adjunct instructors from local local departments but the standards are still the same.

And those departments that have their own academies, they'll still have to go to GPSTC in Forsyth for EVOC.

• ZeroMood
      ZeroMood commented
      Editing a comment
      I see self sponsoring as kind of a plan B. If Border Patrol hires me after I've been through academy at a college, i'm more than okay with that. That's the price i'll pay to finally get my career in LE.

If you're clean, I can't imagine BP not picking you up,.....stay on that road.

Comment

• ZeroMood
      ZeroMood commented
      Editing a comment
      NolaT Thank you! Definitely will do.

Hence the interest in self sponsorship,......

Comment

If a background issue is holding you up, a self sponsor academy isn't going to help.

I don't know what things are like in Georgia. Is it safe to say that a lot of small agencies will only pick up officers who have already been through an academy?

Anyway, applications have fallen through the basement. If you are a good candidate, a department that runs its own academy will pick you up. If you can't get hired now, you can't get hired.

Comment

• ZeroMood
        ZeroMood commented
        Editing a comment
        I get what you're saying, but I've been told by atleast three departments that if i was POST certified, they'd have hired me.

Maybe so, smaller depts have to poach after graduation,......basic economics.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
        If a background issue is holding you up, a self sponsor academy isn't going to help.

If you can't get hired now, you can't get hired.
        Bingo...

Comment

Agreed, self sponsorship won't overcome background issues, be honest with yourself on any and all shortcomings.

Comment

Haven't we been through this "job abandonment" thing or whatever it was in his background before?

Comment

Big RED FLAG for most any serious career, even more so, for any SO or PD.

Comment

"I see self sponsoring as kind of a plan B. If Border Patrol hires me after I've been through academy at a college, i'm more than okay with that. That's the price i'll pay to finally get my career in LE."

I like that. Keep grinding man. Whoever gets something their first go-round or when it was easy. Just keep grinding. What I would do is keep a pdf of every PD you apply to and upload it to Onedrive or Dropbox or whatever you use. That way when you fill out the next application and there will be a next if you keep going after your dream, You don't have to keep digging up all your old information to fill out the new app, and more importantly. All your apps and PHS all will be identical. So it doesn't look like you are giving different agencies different information. Makes everything go faster for you and them.

The second thing is I never understood why people are so hard at times on others who aren't Leo's already on here, this forum can be a hard place at times. I remember a few years ago getting jumped all over for something I posted. Anyhow keep grinding just realize the more places you apply the longer it's going to take on your background.

I know someone just picked up in South Fulton in GA. He likes it. Gets off FTO in a few weeks. He said they def are looking for good people

Comment

I can't speak to Georgia, but around here about half the cops that get hired self-sponsor themselves through an academy, most of which are run by local vo-tech schools.

At my department, having successfully completed an academy would be seen as a competitive advantage, all other things being the same/similar. That means getting a new hire solo on the road in around 3-4 months, rather than the 10-12 it takes to send someone through the academy and then train them.

Comment

Originally posted by kflo01 View Post
                    I never understood why people are so hard at times on others who aren't Leo's already on here, this forum can be a hard place at times. I remember a few years ago getting jumped all over for something I posted.
                    That's not hard.

Hard is doing CPR on a blue-colored infant while getting circled by $#itbirds in a drug house, hoping your cover shows up in time to save you from getting jumped.

Hard is holding a mother in your arms after she lost all of her children and both of her parents to a highly-intoxicated illegal alien that blew a red light at 75 mph on a license revoked for previous DUIs, in an uninsured unregistered hoopty.

Hard is the screams of the mother as she arrives on scene while we're cutting down the cold stiff body of her utterly gorgeous 17 year old daughter that hung herself because somebody said something mean to her online.

Hard is completing ground fighting class with two broken ribs, without making a peep about it.

Hard is working 51 hours on 3 hours of sleep.

Hard is burying brother and sister officers that lost their life in the line of duty.

Hard is running during academy up to 10 miles of hills a day, five days a week, in mid-day summer sun, having an average of one classmate a day drop and get transported by ambulance to the ER for IV fluids, and getting used to having to go to class afterwards with ice bags ace-wrapped to your knees.

Hard is running towards gunfire, when everyone else is running away, to protect people that you've never met.

Hard is getting attacked by one of the pitbulls chained up at the door of a known drug house, trying to make entry after hearing a female scream for help from within.

Hard is a carload of five teenagers headed home from a party, clipping a guardrail and sliding broadside into the path of an oncoming car, with a closing speed of 120 mph or so, cutting their car in half. We were picking body parts out of trees, on both sides of the road.

There's a whole big world of actual hard that we are called upon to deal with. And this job isn't for everyone...
                    Last edited by Aidokea; 06-25-2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4284 users online. 277 members and 4007 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X