Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential DQ medial question and the academy

Hello everyone,

I am applying to the California Highway Patrol. I have attempted to ask them about relevant medical disqualification guidelines, however, they state every single one must be reviewed individually. I am simply looking to see if anyone has experience with CHP and if this is a well-known no-go.

I have been on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) for about 3 years. ( I am a male, this is simply being prescribed due to having lower levels than I should have normally.) It is prescribed from a doctor. I self-administer weekly injections as prescribed. My levels were low / messed up, and this totally resolved it. I have bloodwork done etc as well. Everything from the drug, needle etc all have my prescription and information on them.

From what I understand, it is considered a class III controlled substance. Abusing this drug, like any other drug, is illegal obviously - however, I am wondering if this is a disqualifying medical issue.

I am also considering the logistics of it - If it is not disqualifying, how would I be able to self-administer at the academy? CHP has a live-in academy for 6 months in Sacramento. I assume a dorm-type format, with roommates. Would this be something I store in the room, and use accordingly? I feel like they would not allow that, as it involves an intra-muscular needle. I could just imagine them saying you "cant have needles and this medication in your dorm room 24/7" for safety reasons etc.

If they were to allow this application, would they perhaps store it themselves in a medical-bay situation, and you would go there each week for the administration of it?

I am also curious as to how they allow the usage of medication at a police academy. From my understanding with military boot camps - they would keep all of it at sick-bay and you would just go there to obtain your medications.

Any help or understanding on this would be great, thank you!
    Last edited by Emacs66; 06-03-2021, 04:08 PM.

Originally posted by Emacs66 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am applying to the California Highway Patrol. I have attempted to ask them about relevant medical disqualification guidelines, however, they state every single one must be reviewed individually. I am simply looking to see if anyone has experience with CHP and if this is a well-known no-go.

I have been on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) for about 3 years. It is prescribed from a doctor. I self-administer weekly injections as prescribed. My levels were low / messed up, and this totally resolved it. I have bloodwork done etc as well. Everything from the drug, needle etc all have my prescription and information on them.

From what I understand, it is considered a class III controlled substance. Abusing this drug, like any other drug, is illegal obviously - however, I am wondering if this is a disqualifying medical issue.

I am also considering the logistics of it - If it is not disqualifying, how would I be able to self-administer at the academy? CHP has a live-in academy for 6 months in Sacramento. I assume a dorm-type format, with roommates. Would this be something I store in the room, and use accordingly? I feel like they would not allow that, as it involves an intra-muscular needle. I could just imagine them saying you "cant have needles and this medication in your dorm room 24/7" for safety reasons etc.

If they were to allow this application, would they perhaps store it themselves in a medical-bay situation, and you would go there each week for the administration of it?

I am also curious as to how they allow the usage of medication at a police academy. From my understanding with military boot camps - they would keep all of it at sick-bay and you would just go there to obtain your medications.

Any help or understanding on this would be great, thank you!
    I don't know how to ask this politely, but are you a guy with a medical condition, or are you a chick shooting up testosterone to try to become a guy?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that would cause you to fail any of the screening steps typical in law enforcement in general- you should be able to pass a screening for narcotics, a physical exam wouldn't turn anything up, and I'm guessing your blood work would look normal too. You're also not breaking any laws.

As far as their policies regarding your prescribed medications, who cares? You just do whatever their policy says, and move on. It's not like you would be denied appropriate access to your prescriptions.

Comment

• Emacs66
      Emacs66 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your response -and I'm a male hehe. I was diagnosed lower levels than I should have had - and so this helps fix it.

I have no physical issues whatsoever, I'm just worried because testosterone is a 'steroid' and was thinking that any form of that would be DQ'able, regardless of any prescription.

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure that others can clear this up for you for sure, but I'm not seeing a problem...

Prescribed medication is almost always allowed
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I can't see an issue with scripted Test.,......unless you're totally Jacked looking and the script is from a mailorder pharmacy that you NEVER see.
      Last edited by NolaT; 06-04-2021, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I don't see an issue with the meds. I don't have any idea how they control meds. Just go with the program; it is not something to worry about.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2460 users online. 122 members and 2338 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X