Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would my weight lifting training be enough for the Trooper academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would my weight lifting training be enough for the Trooper academy?

I go to the gym 5 times a week and never do any type of cardio. I only lift weights like a bodybuilder(while incorporating powerlifts). Would this be enough training for the academy or should i start doing cardio before January 2021? What type of cardio is best? Also should i stop trying to gain muscle, will it slow me down?

the majority of any academy is running so cardio is important. You don’t want to be the guy who gets your entire company in trouble by not keeping up. If your body isn’t used to running you may sustain an injury from running miles and miles every day. I’ve seen guys drop out because of Shin splints , ankle and leg injuries. Stop bulking because the lighter you are the less impact on your legs. They’ll be plenty of push ups sit ups, planks, leg raises and things of that nature but if your in half decent shape that won’t be a problem. here is a 3 step plan to get you ready for any Leo academy.

Step 1. Run
    Step 2. Run again
    Step 3. Run some more

Comment

Yeah, stop bulking, and start running. Right now.

As stated above, the less weight on your knees, the less chance for injury, and running injuries was the #1 reason for washouts in my last academy. We started with 22 in our class, and graduated 6.

Every academy is different, but our head PT instructor was the SWAT commander, and he treated us like he thought he was training Navy SEALs. We ran up to 10 miles a day, five days a week, in hilly terrain, in mid-day sun. Numerous classmates collapsed during training runs and were transported by ambulance to the ER for IV fluids. I attended afternoon classroom sessions (after PT) with ice packs ace-bandaged to my knees. Several of my toenails turned black and fell out.

You should get your stride analyzed on video by a competent running shop and have them put you in the right running shoes.

You should become familiar with running hydration. A hydration problem will end your day, and possibly your probationary employment.

You should become familiar with running diet, to include carb-loading.

You should become familiar with running first aid- "RICE" (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation).

You should become familiar with OTC anti-inflammatory drugs and joint supplements. Do not take ANYTHING (like Creatine) that makes you need more water.

Nobody cares how much you can bench press one time, but your classmates will absolutely cricify you for the thousand pushups and endless painful planking and flutter kicks the instructors ordered them to do while waiting for you to catch up.

And the published running standards are NOT the goal, they are just the point at which it is pointless to hire you. Cruising to a 14-minute 1.5 mile timed run isn't going to get it. I did it in 9:28 at age 44, and there were only three guys slower than me.
      Last edited by Aidokea; 08-24-2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Yes to the cardio....you will run a ton. In our academy it was basically setting us up to pass the obstacle course. Look into what is needed for you to pass the academy (sit ups, push ups, running time, pull ups, etc.). Focus on those things and the O-course.

Comment

i am sure that the standards you need to pass are on-line somewhere so, as mentioned, look them up. I venture to guess that what you are doing is not sufficient to make you well rounded physically.

Comment

Look into what your academy requires.

We did crossfit, so we didn't run every day, but there was always some cardio aspect to everything.

You need well-rounded fitness for the profession, not just one thing.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald2121 View Post
              I go to the gym 5 times a week and never do any type of cardio. I only lift weights like a bodybuilder(while incorporating powerlifts). Would this be enough training for the academy or should i start doing cardio before January 2021? What type of cardio is best? Also should i stop trying to gain muscle, will it slow me down?
              Activate the area above your ears...and you should be able to answer your own question.

Comment

HELL NO. I speak from experience. And the elliptical is NOT enough for cardio either. 'Couch to 5k' is an excellent app for beginners. Start NOW, not tomorrow. Good luck!
                Originally posted by RSGSRT
                We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

• Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If his academy is anything like mine was, "Couch To Half Marathon A Day" would probably be better...

• Aerohead
                  Aerohead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gotta start somewhere. Once you're at the 3 miles in 30 minutes, you can build on that. But yeah, that was week 1 for us (3 miles in 30 minutes). It only got worse from there.

I did Couch to 5K and hired a personal trainer about a 8 months before the entrance PT test for my Academy. There was an Agility test before that (obstacle course) which you would have to be extremely out of shape to fail.

I was an overweight nerd when I decided to get into the Academy. I lost 50 lbs and shaved about 4 minutes off my 1.5 Mile run in those 8 months. By the time the Academy was through, I lost 15 more lbs and the last 2 min I needed to past the State run. Now I'm a kinda in-shape nerd.
                "Don't do that." - DT Instructor

Comment

• NaturalZero
                  NaturalZero commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Note: My Academy was NOT like Aidokea's as to running. We worked out most days, but it wasn't straight running.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4418 users online. 282 members and 4136 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X