Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eyesight

Hi there,

Was just hired as a police recruit and will be attending the academy in a month. California POST guidelines has me required to correct my vision to 20/20 while on duty. I have 20/30 vision and have never worn glasses, only just recently having slightly more blurry vision down long hallways for example. I'm 36 years old.

I'm new to firearms, which is where my main concern lies as far as vision...so during training, would you recommend I use contacts, glasses, or give it a go without corrected vision (as that is what I'm used to)?

Thank you.

Since you’re required to have corrected vision, start now and adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by lingua View Post
      Hi there,

Was just hired as a police recruit and will be attending the academy in a month. California POST guidelines has me required to correct my vision to 20/20 while on duty. I have 20/30 vision and have never worn glasses, only just recently having slightly more blurry vision down long hallways for example. I'm 36 years old.

I'm new to firearms, which is where my main concern lies as far as vision...so during training, would you recommend I use contacts, glasses, or give it a go without corrected vision (as that is what I'm used to)?

Thank you.
      I have been shooting AND QUALIFYING on a police range for 43 yrs with glasses...........I personally can not wear contacts.
      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I would recommend glasses. I have a pair of prescription shooting glasses I use for the range. Contacts are somewhat redundant because you have to wear eyepro anyways.
        Last edited by Camelbak; 06-09-2020, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Get two pairs of glasses ASAP.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!! I'm grateful for the guidance. Glasses it is; I have an appointment Friday. I wasn't too keen on trying to get used to contacts anyhow.

Comment

• NaturalZero
              NaturalZero commented
              Editing a comment
              I had to get fitted for soft contacts for the Academy, but I wasn't required to wear them all the time. Personally, I preferred contacts for all the hands-on training like grappling and striking. I also liked contacts for shooting because I could wear ballistic sunglasses without having to pay for the RX lenses.

I'd never worn contacts before, but it only took like 5 days for me to get completely used to putting them in.

Originally posted by lingua View Post
            Hi there,

Thank you.

I would go for contacts. Try to wear them to get used to them. In while at the academy and out when you get home.

If you're not shooting and just doing classroom work I wouldn't worry too much about glasses or contacts for the day, being realistic. Ask the optometrist how to best start wearing them. Some people get headaches at first so might only want to wear them a few days a week or a few hours a day.

I've been wearing glasses recently and with the covid masks it sucks especially as it's getting cold and they fog up. Contacts are much safer/more practical if you can wear them.

Comment

Soft contacts. If you get hit in the face while wearing glasses, they could break your nose. Wearing glasses also complicates wearing sunglasses (or any other form of eye protection).

Do NOT get vision correction surgery. Once you hit about 40 years of age, your eyes will get "stuck". If you have had vision correction surgery, you will then become married to reading glasses. Like you, my uncorrected vision is about 20/30, and when I get home I just take my contact lenses out, and I can then read anything and everything without needing reading glasses.

Comment

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                While working, I used a pair of military Oakley M-frame wrap-around sunglasses that came with a grey lense and a clear lense. The grey one is perfect for just about any daylight situation, and I switch to the clear one in the dark. That way I have ballistic-rated coverage for my eyes at all times. It really helps to keep blood and stuff out of the eyes.

I'm gonna sprinkle a little thread revive on this one... Contacts and sunglasses/clear lenses sounds reasonable strangely.

Seems like a tie in feedback on this thread... Any tie breakers? One better for academy vs after academy?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4355 users online. 279 members and 4076 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X