Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Academy Advice

Hi Everyone,

I may end up fortunate enough to start the police academy in January (in Connecticut). I still have to finish up part 2 of my psych exam, a home visit, and of course then be lucky enough to be selected from the final list of eligible candidates. I know I still have a lot between me and the academy, and I'll be focusing heavily on those tasks. I did however want to ask what advice you guys may have for me in order to prepare for a potential academy seat. I know this question has been asked countless times, but the more advice I can prepare myself with the better.

Thanks in advance

If it’s a physical academy, be in shape and run.
    if it’s an academic academy relax and enjoy the free time until it starts.

Either way it’ll be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by CThopefulCop View Post
      Hi Everyone,

I may end up fortunate enough to start the police academy in January (in Connecticut). I still have to finish up part 2 of my psych exam, a home visit, and of course then be lucky enough to be selected from the final list of eligible candidates. I know I still have a lot between me and the academy, and I'll be focusing heavily on those tasks. I did however want to ask what advice you guys may have for me in order to prepare for a potential academy seat. I know this question has been asked countless times, but the more advice I can prepare myself with the better.

Thanks in advance
      Get hired, don't smoke dope, don't get a DUI, don't get arrested, don't break a leg or body part, don't party with underaged people, don't get your license suspended, don't get a domestic violence complaint against you and don't let a dog lick p-nut butter off your junk.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post

Get hired, don't smoke dope, don't get a DUI, don't get arrested, don't break a leg or body part, don't party with underaged people, don't get your license suspended, don't get a domestic violence complaint against you and don't let a dog lick p-nut butter off your junk.
        I can't think of much to add to that!

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post

All of this.

Don't sleep with your fellow recruits. That'll lead nowhere good. Hook up after the academy if you've got that much in common but not during.

Comment

Don't get drunk and beat your boyfriend up the night before graduation

Comment

Don't give into peer pressure to go out drinking in the evenings. We've fired one for that because he was hung over and late to class.

Don't go buy dope, a neighboring agency lost one who tried that at a residential academy and told local PD it was for a class project.

Academy is pretty easy, just have the discipline to do the things after-hours like ironing clothes, shining boots, studying, eat right, go to bed early, don't get in trouble etc.

Comment

• westside popo
                westside popo commented
                Editing a comment
                There was a YouTube video of a cadet getting busted for buying dope. She was wearing academy uniform at the time.

Even a “low stress” college style academy has its physical moments.

The better shape you’re in for any academy the better you will do overall.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Every academy is different.

My first one was cake.

The other one was not:

Our head PT instructor was the SWAT team commander, a spectacular athlete who apparently thought he was training us to become Navy SEALs. We ran up to 10 miles a day, in hot humid mid-day sun, in hilly terrain, and ADT was no better.

Broken ribs, numerous concussions, a broken hand, a broken nose, countless trips to the ER for IV fluids...one guy even had a broken femur.

We started our academy with 22, and graduated 6.
                Last edited by Aidokea; 01-01-2020, 03:04 PM.

Comment

From what everyone says about the CT POST academy:

1) It IS paramilitary; you will have DIs screaming at you starting from the very second you report on day one. However, unlike the State Police academy, they lighten up considerably after the first week. You'll have to stay squared away for the time you're there, you'll get the usually PT smoking for screwing up and such, but I have yet to hear one Connecticut municipal officer describe the POST academy as "tough". Most said it was a joke and even during the first week gut check it wasn't terrible if you had thick skin, especially if you were in the military. If you get sent to a satellite academy, such as Hartford or New Haven, it's apparently MUCH more intense; not quite as intense as the CSP academy, but close to it.

2) PT is mostly a mix of Crossfit and running. CSP is obsessed with CF and has been for a long time, so of course, POST does it too. However, the most important thing is to maintain fitness at least at the 40th percentile. Fail the Cooper test and you're out. You will do the Cooper test day one, so your career is over before it began if you haven't been training since you took the CHIP test. Probably the best exercise program is a mix of running and some kind of high intensity interval training with an emphasis on core work and pushups would be best. Crossfit, while controversial, is the fitness program for CT, for better or worse, so it wouldn't hurt to do CF workouts to familiarize yourself. Just don't overtrain.

I'll give you some of my experience from my out of state academy. If you get selected, make sure you read the rules and regulations and know them inside and out. Before you head in for your first day, make sure your suit is clean, pressed, and don't have a single misplaced hair on it. Make sure you have absolutely everything the tell you to bring. Read your list, read it again, and then read it again. Get everything organized. Start becoming anal about your appearance.

But most of all, don't worry too much. This isn't the State Police. The academy isn't about weeding out the weak; they want to get everyone who is qualified through. You will learn a lot and it will be fun. And keep in mind that it's the easiest part of the job; once you're done and you're in FTO, it's a whole new game.
                  "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                  -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                    Every academy is different.

My first one was cake.

The other one was not:

Our head PT instructor was the SWAT team commander, a spectacular athlete who apparently thought he was training us to become Navy SEALs. We ran up to 10 miles a day, in hot humid mid-day sun, in hilly terrain, and ADT was no better.

Broken ribs, numerous concussions, a broken hand, a broken nose, countless trips to the ER for IV fluids...one guy even had a broken femur.

We started our academy with 22, and graduated 6.

Thats a pretty extreme drop rate in today’s society where many, if not most Dept’s are having trouble getting enough suitable candidates just INTO the academy.

Comment

• Aidokea
                      Aidokea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes it is...

My biggest advice, having been through a local, state, and fed academy is, enjoy it and relax. There is always a group of people in every academy who take things way to serious so don't be that guy/gal.

Comment

I just graduated the academy roughly 3 weeks ago and about start on a department soon. I literally waited the last week before the academy started to begin running... I was always good with sit ups and push ups but as a previous smoker I really did under estimated the run. We had PT session every morning and some days 2 hour PT in the afternoon ( At least once a week) and I was good at sprints but was horrible at distance. Start running ASAP. That's honestly my advice don't make the same mistake as me.
                      And as previously mentioned stay home on the weekends don't go out drinking or to any bars. Fortunately we didn't have anyone kicked out due to that but the last class they kicked 2 cadets out for this reason.

Comment

• Aidokea
                        Aidokea commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yup.......

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13806 users online. 392 members and 13414 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X