Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the day, like really back in the day, it was common in my neck of the woods to see officers with a leather belt with holster, ammo holder, and handcuff case. Nothing else, except maybe a flashlight ring. The gun would have a big wood grip that stuck out, resembling a hog leg. To this day, a few relics still talk about the 'hog leg' days before Glocks and Sigs took over.

No tasers, no OC spray, no collapseable baton. Defensive weapons were your "meat hooks" (hands) and "soup bones" (elbows). Officers carried saps in their back pockets and, in case of bar fights, leather gloves with lead-filled pockets ("jaw breakers"). Those were banned decades ago, for obvious reason.

The old school guys would shake their heads and look at the ground when about talking about the new school era, with their fancy gizmos and belt full of toys. That era took great pride in their ability to effect necessary force using just their meat hooks and soup bones....

Image result for police ammo belt
    The problem is- we give up too easily.

-Thomas Edison

Comment

I had these for awhile ... a swivel holster and speed strips.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...TAAZY87r2Y4CM:

My chief didn't wear a vest even though he had been shot in the chest before; he just didn't like 'em. He smoked like a chimney while he was on patrol.

Comment

The very first thing I did in the academy was swap out the stock S/W wooden grip for a nice Pachmayr.

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          What year was that?

Is it a residential academy or a daytime only academy? I've been to both and each one provided a very specific packing list.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
          Officers carried saps in their back pockets and, in case of bar fights, leather gloves with lead-filled pockets ("jaw breakers"). Those were banned decades ago, for obvious reason​
          You may want to elaborate on that, for the benefit of our younger audience. Most rookies are utterly clueless as to why their uniform trousers have "sap pockets".

Comment

Comment

A lifetime ago,....1988, lol.
              Jefferson Parish, right outside New Orleans.

Within a year or so we were all treated to department Beretta 92F’s.
              Last edited by NolaT; 08-04-2019, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

You may want to elaborate on that, for the benefit of our younger audience. Most rookies are utterly clueless as to why their uniform trousers have "sap pockets".

Saps, aka Blackjacks, were routinely carried in the Starsky and Hutch era, and just about fit perfectly in the side pocket in uniform pants. Made from leather and lead, they'd be used in close quarters situations, with the general target being the base of the skull, where a solid thwap would put the person in a momentary stupor for long enough to get a pair of cuffs on. The problem, though, was too many thwaps lead to basal skull fractures, permanent brain damage, and death so they were banned by most departments by the time Starsky and Hutch went off the air in 1979...

For the past 30 years, LE has been in a near constant state of invention, both in tactics and equipment. I swear I've seen the pendulum swing between 'this is how we used to do it' to 'this is how we do it now' to 'this is how we used to do it' at least five times over the decades. Everyone wants to re-invent the wheel and put their stamp on something in hopes their idea will be the next Big Thing in the world of police gear since the invention of Kevlar.

One of my favorites was the Orcutt Police Nunckaku, named after the officer who invented it in the 1980s. It was basically just a pair of numchucks, which have been around for 1000s of years, with some modification. The gist was not to use as a striking weapon ala Bruce Lee, but as a restraint tool. They were somewhat common 25 years ago but never became universal, probably because they took up a lot of space on a gunbelt and imagine a pair of numchucks constantly poking at your liver during a shift. If anyone knows of a department that still uses the Orcutt numchucks, I'd like to hear about it.

They were one of the many Big New Things I've seen over the years; departments would buy and issue, instructors would come in and train, everyone would carry, then a couple years later something better would come along and the cycle would repeat itself. Coming up with new products/tactics has become a great side hustle for cops who know how to market an idea and turn their name into a brand.....
                Last edited by Ratatatat; 08-05-2019, 09:20 AM.
                The problem is- we give up too easily.

-Thomas Edison

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post

Within a year or so we were all treated to department Beretta 92F’s.
                  This made me laugh. The 92F was my first issued weapon. (Got it at the house now). I was fortunate to qualify in the upper 80s with this pistol. I was beginning to think I was losing skills. Then we went to the 92FS. BOOM! Uppper 90s.

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
                    scotty_appleton814 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have a Taurus PT 101. BY FAR one of my fav carry guns.

Speed loaders instantly become obsolete!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5583 users online. 290 members and 5293 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X