300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I apply or wait?

So I graduate this upcoming semester and I will be applying to my preferred departments soon. I called my number one department I want to apply to today to check when the next application opening will be and they told me due to them building a new academy building, they won’t have an application open for at best a year and a half. My question is, should I wait and hope that they finish the new academy building in a year and a half or should I go ahead and apply to one of my other departments and, if I still want to work for that department later transfer at a later time?

I wouldn’t mind working for either department; the difference in my number one and number two pick is how much I would make ($10,000 less a year & number two never catches up to the pay of number one). I just don’t know if I should gamble the construction meeting it’s deadline of a year and a half.

What makes you so sure that preferred agency will specifically hire YOU?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• TheTexasKid95
      TheTexasKid95 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not trying to say that at all, I’m trying to ask if I should wait to apply for what at best could be a year and a Half or go ahead and apply to my other agencies after I graduate

That is up to you. If you want to be a cop, you should be applying to every opening there is.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by TheTexasKid95 View Post
      ...the difference in my number one and number two pick is how much I would make ($10,000 less a year & number two never catches up to the pay of number one).
      I'm sure there are more differences than that.

And "$10,000 less a year" than what? I make that much in overtime alone (above my base pay) in two months.

Comment

• TheTexasKid95
        TheTexasKid95 commented
        Editing a comment
        The department that is my primary choice for application pays $10,000 a year more than my second choice for application. There are other differences but the big ones would be my first choice is a smaller department, they offer take home cars, higher pay(this department’s officers are making what the larger departments sergeants are making), and has/are building new facilities. The other department is larger so it would offer more opportunities for specialized jobs, advancement etc.

Both departments border each other so I imagine they work together a lot and deal with a lot of similar problems and have similar access to extra jobs. I just wondered if any current officers had any opinions on waiting for my first choice or if I should apply sooner with my second choice, gain experience and, if I still feel like it, try to transfer at a later time.

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        So does one agency pay $20,000 a year and the other pays $30,000 a year, or does one agency pay $120,000 a year and the other pays $130,000 a year, or what?

Aidokea so my primary department I want to work for, which is Pasadena, a first year Officer is making $61,609.14 whereas a HPD Officer (second choice mostly based off pay) is making $49,917. Looking at the pay scale for both departments, someone who has been in for 3 years is making Pasadena: $69,421.87 and Houston: $56,419.00

Comment

You can always lateral. I'm new and I took my first (and only so far) offer which was coincidentally the lowest paying. Better to start work than to wait IMHO. Getting certified should be your top priority.

Comment

• TheTexasKid95
          TheTexasKid95 commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s what I was thinking, I mean a year and a half at the minimum is a long time to wait and a lot of missed experience! Congrats on the job! The application process is getting competitive!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11622 users online. 457 members and 11165 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X