Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I train for a California Law Enforcement Academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I train for a California Law Enforcement Academy?

Hello, I decided to post on here as there are many former law enforcement officers here that have knowledge on the topic. That being said, I recently lost 110 pounds in prep for the academy I’ll be attending in 6-8 months. I have very little muscle mass, and before I started a random program I decided to post on here and get some actual tips. Thank you.

Each academy is different and some are more physical than others.

At a minimum you should be able to run 3-4 miles at 8 minute pace by day 1 of the academy. Towards the end our runs were about 7 miles long through all sorts of terrain...asphalt, grass, concrete, dirt hills, etc.

Lots of pushups. Try to get to 8 or 10 sets of 50 pushups a day. We didn't really do a bunch of sit ups but more crunches and flutter kicks.

You need to have some muscle mass. Start with things like squats, deadlifts, rows, chest presses, etc. Don't need to put up crazy amounts of weight.

Crossfit has some good programs that get your heart and lungs working to full capacity. One day you'll be in a fight with someone and you'll want to know what your limits are.

Comment

You first need to meet with your MD and get referred to a PT/ Trainer. You are woefully out of shape.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by clof2001 View Post
        Each academy is different and some are more physical than others.

At a minimum you should be able to run 3-4 miles at 8 minute pace by day 1 of the academy. Towards the end our runs were about 7 miles long through all sorts of terrain...asphalt, grass, concrete, dirt hills, etc.

Lots of pushups. Try to get to 8 or 10 sets of 50 pushups a day. We didn't really do a bunch of sit ups but more crunches and flutter kicks.

You need to have some muscle mass. Start with things like squats, deadlifts, rows, chest presses, etc. Don't need to put up crazy amounts of weight.
        This. We ran up to 10 miles a day of hills in summer heat. I was in my mid-40s and had no background in running, but I trained hard beforehand, and the day I tested, I ran the 1.5 mile at a 6:18/mile pace.

Crossfit has some good programs that get your heart and lungs working to full capacity. One day you'll be in a fight with someone and you'll want to know what your limits are.
        I don't know much about CrossFit, but a lot of my co-workers do it.

OP, we are not in the business of losing fights, and the reason for that has nothing to do with us being "better" than anyone else in any prideful way- it has to do with the fact that there are people who love us, who are counting on us to come home. It has to do with our beat partners that are counting on us not letting them down in a fight. It has to do with the agency that spent so much money to hire, train, and equip us, counting on us obeying the first rule in law enforcement- to go home at the end of our shift.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Yeah I’ve been lifting but not bulking. Trying to maintain 189 at 6’2 down from 297 is hard enough. Cardio I kind of need to get better at sprinting. Before at 297 I just used my weight has an advantage and started a sprint super fast, but after weight loss I don’t have the same power.
          Last edited by Jasamr; 05-04-2019, 12:13 AM.

Comment

I mean the cardio I understand, but I just don’t want to get bulky as that might effect my cardio.

Comment

Carido, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, if you do weights...less weight and more reps that will not bulk you up, but will get you tone. Rowing machine is also good to add to your program.

Comment

Actually tried to weight lift and felt super weak. I mean then again the goal of losing weight and getting healthy was so I would be in good form to run more. But right now even after spending a year in the gym and lifting to lose weight I feel weak.

Comment

Also weight loss did improve pushups a bit. I mean before at 297 I could barley get 5 down, and now at 187 I can get 15 down in one minute.

Comment

Just to be clear, I have a little lose skin but even with that I don’t want to build muscle for appearance or pleasing people. As along as I can stay in a fight, and I assume in Law Enforcement it’s needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasamr View Post
                      Also weight loss did improve pushups a bit. I mean before at 297 I could barley get 5 down, and now at 187 I can get 15 down in one minute.
                      That's not even close to what you're gonna need to be able to do.

Remember what clof2001 said about doing 500 pushups a day, in sets of 50? He's not kidding- that was just one small part of a normal day of PT when I went through academy.

Comment

Yeah I think in my case I should just focus on body weight exercise combined with sprinting. No need to rack up numbers on the barbell if I can barley even pass any of the required test. Which body weight exercise program do you guys recommend? Been looking at the navy seal one.

Comment

You don't necessarily need an "exercise program" with a cool-sounding name- just run, do pushups, do pullups, and do sit ups.

And do it a LOT, because you're going to be expected to do a lot of it during PT.

You're in for a rude shock if you think that just barely meeting the minimum PT standards should be some kind of a goal for you. There is little need for "D-minus" police officers.

Keep in mind that if and when you start your academy, your classmates will be punished with additional and very painful PT if YOU are not performing.

Comment

I think as of now I’ll just focus on body weight exercises because if I’m going to be tested and expected to be good at it, then I’ll do it. I’ll also focus more on sprinting.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7463 users online. 326 members and 7137 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X