Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got the call - FLETC in January (Georgia) - How hard is it?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the call - FLETC in January (Georgia) - How hard is it?

I'm ex military... but I'm now pretty old (turning 34 soon). I'm not too worried about the studying, Ive gotten much better at that with age... but I'm more worried about daily exercise.

I'm in excellent physical shape, especially for my age. I can run high 7 minute miles, pushups, situps, no problem... I am willing to bet I'll be in the top 10% in my class physically.

What I'm more worried about is daily exercise. I dont recover as fast now as I did when I was 20... And I need a couple days break between workouts. I can easily run 5 miles at an extremely fast pace... but then I need 2 days for my legs to recover from the beating... I can bust out 500 pushups in a day... but I need a couple of days to recover...

Am I F*ked here?

I know when I went through basic training in the military, we ran for like 45 minutes a day.. sometime we ran 2 or 3 times per day... same with pushups... we probably did at least 100-300 per day... When I was 20, no problem, but I'm not sure I can handle that at 34....

You'll be fine. I say this because I was 40 the last time I spent three months in a Glynco smurf suit....

-Typically PT and DT alternate days. So M-W-F would be DT and T-Th would be PT or vice versa. So it would be unusual to have PT two days in a row.

-Check yourself before you wreck yourself. No one expects you to run 5 miles at an extremely fast pace or bust out 500 pushups in a day. No one would be impressed either. You will actually have great control over how hard you push or don't push yourself during most PT sessions. Let the 24 year old PT studs be awesome and recognize that's where you were ten years ago but not now.

-I'll never forgot my first long Glynco academy, circa 1997, when a 55 year new hire for the mint police expired in the men's locker room. He was retired Boston PD, hoping for a second career but first had to complete the 8 week mixed basic academy. Instead a heart attack dropped him while attempting the first PEB. I didn't see it happen but remember walking past the EMTs as they cleaned up the scene. The lesson being no training is worth injury (or worse) and only you is looking out for you....
    Last edited by Ratatatat; 12-21-2018, 10:01 AM.
    One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Awesome tips.... Yea being in excellent physical condition is WAY different at 34 years old than it was at 24 years old... I can still do all the same stuff, same run times, same pushups, situps... but I just cant do it every single day like I could back then... so its good to know that FLETC isnt like military basic training.

Comment

Also, it depends on the program as well. Some are more physically demanding than others. But my repeated experience was starting off light and building up to longer runs, kettle ball workouts, stationary bike rides, etc. as the weeks pass.

Also, consider it a blessing you'll be there Jan/Feb/March instead of June/July/August, aka sweat season.

Comment

What agency are you going for? It all depends on the academy your attending down at fletc.

Comment

• OrdiOrdi
            OrdiOrdi commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh interesting... I thought everyone goes through the same program... I'm going in as an entree level federal LEO.

• Autorotate
            Autorotate commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you going to be a police office 0083, criminal investigator 1811, or what? They have multiple basic programs down there. CITP is for Criminal Investigators, UPTP is for Uniformed Police, LMPT is Land Management Police then other programs for like OIGs and CBP. I believe the basic fitness standards and requirements are about the same for all FLETC programs. However I would see the US Marshall's often conducting their own morning work outs and the same goes for other agencies.

Thirty-four isn't that old! Unless you have some other injury I wouldn't worry about the training. I'm several years older than you and have back problems. I went to a state academy a few years ago and made it. I'm also ex-military and never been a high PT scorer. Sometimes I just did pass the APFT! Yet in the civilian academies I could out do some of the "20 year olds." Just do your best in PT and don't give up.

I never been to FLETC but have been by it before. There's a police supply store right outside the gate where you just about get everything LE and FLETC related.

The weather varies from week to week and day to day in the winter. Some days you'll be freezing and the next day or week wearing shirt sleeve shirts.

Comment

Will my FLETC class be delayed due to the budget issues right now? I'm currently scheduled to start the last week of Jan...

Comment

That depends on the Democrats. I suspect they will give in before then.

Comment

Originally posted by OrdiOrdi View Post
                Will my FLETC class be delayed due to the budget issues right now? I'm currently scheduled to start the last week of Jan...
                The answer is possibly, but not likely.

The center will shut down for the duration of the impasse. Here's their statement from the last time a shutdown loomed (but didn't happen) in 2015:

Our training centers would all be affected including our headquarters at Glynco, near Brunswick, Georgia, and facilities in Artesia, NM, Charleston, SC and Cheltenham, MD.

For each week that the FLETC remains closed, a projected average of roughly 3,400 officers and agents per week would be affected. All of the students currently residing at FLETC facilities would be sent home or housed off of the FLETC campuses. There would also be lost wages for several thousand local support service contract employees, including food services, custodial and grounds maintenance. This would also be an unnecessary burden on our employees, as well as for these agencies who would have to wait for their officers and agents to get the training they need before beginning their duties.

https://www.fletc.gov/press-release/...g-partnerships
                BUT: the last week of January is still a month away, and I would put the odds of a shutdown continuing that long to be very low.

My bunion is telling me this is the most likely path forward:

The impasse will continue to January 3, with no one budging.

When the democrats take control of the house on Jan 3, a budget will quickly get passed in both the house and senate. No wall.

Which will promptly be vetoed by the president.

And then congress will override the veto by obtaining at least 2/3 votes in house and senate (this is very rare and only happens 10% of the time to a presidential veto, but public pressure on elected officials to resolve this matter will be very intense).

(Why do I think this is the most likely outcome? Because the president can then say he never compromised on the issue, which was a huge criticism last week from Limbaugh, Coulter, Ingraham et al.)

By the second week of January, the big wheel that is the G will once again be turning.

So plan on being there as scheduled.

Comment

Georgia FLETC in the winter is cake. If you want misery go to FLETC in Artesia, NM in January.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                    Georgia FLETC in the winter is cake. If you want misery go to FLETC in Artesia, NM in January.
                    Yep. I had to turn my AC on last night.

Comment

Originally posted by OrdiOrdi View Post
                      I'm ex military... but I'm now pretty old (turning 34 soon). I'm not too worried about the studying, Ive gotten much better at that with age... but I'm more worried about daily exercise.

I'm in excellent physical shape, especially for my age. I can run high 7 minute miles, pushups, situps, no problem... I am willing to bet I'll be in the top 10% in my class physically.

What I'm more worried about is daily exercise. I dont recover as fast now as I did when I was 20... And I need a couple days break between workouts. I can easily run 5 miles at an extremely fast pace... but then I need 2 days for my legs to recover from the beating... I can bust out 500 pushups in a day... but I need a couple of days to recover...

Am I F*ked here?

I know when I went through basic training in the military, we ran for like 45 minutes a day.. sometime we ran 2 or 3 times per day... same with pushups... we probably did at least 100-300 per day... When I was 20, no problem, but I'm not sure I can handle that at 34....
                      all depends on your agency and your program. All of programs CITP/UPTP/LMTP are relatively cake as they are run by FLETC. If your doing an agency add-on like ATF then things can be slightly more difficult. Passed my last course at 37. Didn't have any issues. Heck I once saw a 50 year old pass CITP. Lol.

Comment

RE: the 50 year old FOGs (fat old guys). Yeah I had a few in my first long academy. I think they were more common when fewer job series were 6c and there was no age limit. Which isn't the case nowadays. Also I remember one guy in his mid 50s with TVA police who was 18 months from retirement but had to complete an academy because his original training circa 1964 no longer met standards (his mngt was obviously intentionally screwing with him). Anyways, between knee wraps and ibuprofen and Ben Gay, the old guys all shuffled across the finish line....

BUT- and this is important- their hiring agencies did not require them to pass the Physical Efficiency Battery. Only participate in it. Now if they were required to pass the PEB, it would've been a much different situation...

Comment

Yea any standard fitness test... I can pass easily... Probably top 20 percentile even for the young guys... the problem is now that I'm older is the daily pounding.

A 5 mile run... no problem, I can pump out a 7:30 pace with ease.... 50 pushups, no problem... 50 sit ups... no problem...

The problem is... if I have to do it 5 days per week like when I went through bootcamp...

Again, I'm in fantastic shape... sporting a 6 pack at 34 years old. I can pass even the most strenuous fitness tests for any military or federal agency... its the daily pounding that I cant handle...

Comment

Judging by the responses Ive gotten here though... it sounds nothing like military boot camp so I think I'll be just fine... Sounds more like university with some exercising mixed in.

Now I'm more worried about my start date.

My agency is funded and I start on January 8th with them for "pre-FLETC"... I start FLETC the 3rd week of Jan. I asked them multiple times about FLETC and the government shutdown... They know nothing... like literally clueless... which is a bit frustrating since my agency doesnt provide housing or anything so I'm basically paying $100+ per night in a hotel until FLETC starts... would be nice to know if it would be delayed because I could probably find a month to month rental or something...

At least I got the job.

Comment

• DesertRat707
                              DesertRat707 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Sounds like a great agency with knowledgeable Admin! J/K.

Regardless of the Agency DHS or otherwise, you should not be paying for your hotel out of pocket. PERHAPS if you were using a govy travel card temporarily, or if your going to voucher it in the end for remiburstment.

If your DoD I know admin wise they can be a mess sometimes, but check again. Unless your Brunswick is your duty station, then that's a different matter.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11034 users online. 471 members and 10563 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X