Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got the call - FLETC in January (Georgia) - How hard is it?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're going to be working for the agency, won't you need housing near them anyway? You can always break an apartment lease if you absolutely have to.
    Originally posted by RSGSRT
    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

It's been a long, long time, but my recollection of FLETC was that it was similar to attending one semester of junior college where you wore a janitor's uniform and lived in the dorm. If you had struggled academically in high school, you might find it challenging. As for stress, for those who had been through a military bootcamp, it was a joke, but a few fresh college graduates in my class said it was "the hardest thing they had ever done."

My experience was all with the U.S. Customs side of FLETC. I recall that the Border Patrol had more of a military bent to it and the Secret Service was heavy on physical fitness training/running alongside limousines. About half of my classmates were prior state and local, and already had a lot of LE knowledge and street sense. I had no LE background, and maybe for that reason I enjoyed the training and found it new and interesting.

Coming from a military background, you will find much of the same camaraderie and dedication to duty, along with some of the same administrative BS.

Comment

Nothing like tooting one's own horn....
        Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
        Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

I think you’ll be fine, it’s nothing like basic (from what I’ve heard). I’ve never been to basic but I went to a live-in mock Marine Corps state police academy, and FLETC was like a drunken college binge compared to that.

I private messaged you if you want more info.

Comment

You'll absolutely be fine. PT largely depends on what kind of instructor you get.. Some like lifting and weight workouts, others like running and crossfit stuff, but they all have a curriculum to follow and specific things to teach. So it's kind of up in the air, but you won't be doing it every day. At most you'll be doing 2 hour blocks (usually 90 min) on the days you have PT classes. If your Agency is funded, you shouldn't have any delays with your start date here, either. My guess is you'll be in UPTP 1905?

Comment

Depends on the agency, but I wouldn't worry as long as you've stayed in shape and don't eat nothing but soda and Cheetos all day.

Comment

Anyone who has been down recently can confirm the housing situation? Hearing some strange things about everyone getting doubled up, but I spoke to someone who's down there now and he told me nobody in CITP is.

Comment

Originally posted by peterogers View Post
                  Anyone who has been down recently can confirm the housing situation? Hearing some strange things about everyone getting doubled up, but I spoke to someone who's down there now and he told me nobody in CITP is.
                  All depends on the luck of the draw and where your class is housed. If you're put in the "Taj" buildings you'll likely have a roommate, but they'll be from the same class if you do. These buildings are still gutted on the first floors from the most recent hurricane so occupancy is tight. I see Marshals, CITP, CPB, UPTP, ect over there, so it's not really training program specific. Other dorms may have you share a bathroom, or you might get lucky and have your own room and bathroom.

Comment

One time I arrived for a long academy only to discover I would have a roomie at the Taj and two grown az men would be sharing a space made for one. "I snore", he warned me the first night. He had sleep apnea is what he had and for several hours a night would loudly snort chortle and choke four feet from me. I first tried foamy ear plugs from the gun range but they would fall out. Then I tried cotton balls but they didn't help much. Publix had wax balls but try having wax balls jammed in your ears for eight hours. By the second week, I was on the couch in the reception area with pillow and blanket as the night attendant looked on. By the third week, I was hallucinating from sleep deprivation. Good times.
                    One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

• Langford PR
                      Langford PR commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LMAO...… sorry but you described it hilariously

• Ratatatat
                      Ratatatat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wasn't very funny at the time, I can tell you that....

If I were headed there again (which thank God I am not), I would be praying every night, "Please God. I ask for divine intervention so I don't get assigned a roomie for a long Glynco academy. Many people will be assigned single person rooms. Please put my name on that list. And if I do get saddled with co-habituating a 15x20 foot room with another grown adult for 26 weeks, please match me with someone who doesn't bring issues that will cause great disturbance. Thank you."

Just left FLETC. I was doubled up in the Taj and had instructors that weren't totally ridiculous with the PT.

It's all dependent on who your instructors are, and which program you're in. Some days I envied agencies that had minimal PT requirements, and other days I felt lucky I wasn't getting beat on like some of the other classes were.

But as others said, it's very much like college. In my building, some agencies threw parties every night of the week. My advice is to let the AC unit run on constant fan or get a white noise machine.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10968 users online. 472 members and 10496 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X