• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curt5811
    replied
    Originally posted by Newuser2018 View Post

if you get the chance read this book

Emotional survival for law enforcement: A guide for officers and their families
    https://www.amazon.com/Emotional-sur.../dp/0971725403

It will help you understand a bit more about police officers and how some of the guys on here are cynical and hostile to new users. It will also help you understand the field you are considering getting into

Police officers are more likely to commit suicide than killed by felons, the life expectancy for officers is 59 (i think) and 7 years after retirement.

Welcome to law enforcement.
    How can you welcome someone to Law Enforcement, when you're not even in it?

How can you advise someone what it's like and what to expect... when you haven't even been hired yet?

Aren't you still filling out applications?

***Edited:

My bad. I just saw your post in the other thread. You DID actually get hired. Now you're an experienced two-week training academy veteran, so you've seen some s***.
    Last edited by Curt5811; 08-18-2018, 02:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Newuser2018
    replied
    Originally posted by Maya1994 View Post
    What’s up with all the negativity lol
    I posted a long post with questions and details on why I was worried on getting hired, my guess is not all of it got posted or something went wrong.
    if you get the chance read this book

Emotional survival for law enforcement: A guide for officers and their families
    https://www.amazon.com/Emotional-sur.../dp/0971725403

It will help you understand a bit more about police officers and how some of the guys on here are cynical and hostile to new users. It will also help you understand the field you are considering getting into

Police officers are more likely to commit suicide than killed by felons, the life expectancy for officers is 59 (i think) and 7 years after retirement.

Welcome to law enforcement.

Leave a comment:

• Aerohead
    replied
    Originally posted by 1RidgeRunner7 View Post

I understand now, they just pass people. Kinda like what Baltimore City was doing.
    Pretty much. You still have to pass the MCOLES standards, but they're not much harder than the entrance standards. I've heard the final written is a PITA though, but they make you study like crazy for it.

Leave a comment:

• 1RidgeRunner7
    replied
    Originally posted by Aerohead View Post

There are academies where you pay to go to the academy, graduate as certifiable, then get hired and the department that hires you activates your certification. Almost all academies in Michigan, with the exception of Detroit PD and Michigan State Police which have their own academies, are run this way. The kicker is that they rarely fail anyone. I've heard quite a few horror stories of people that graduated but luckily were not hired because they were horrible in the academy. Luckily, these academies are staffed by local police officers so those stories get back to the perspective departments. There's no guarantee to getting hired and many departments have much stricter standards than the basic MCOLES standards so you can pay $6,000 of your own money and never be a cop.
    I understand now, they just pass people. Kinda like what Baltimore City was doing.

Leave a comment:

• Aerohead
    replied
    Originally posted by 1RidgeRunner7 View Post

What do you mean by this?
    There are academies where you pay to go to the academy, graduate as certifiable, then get hired and the department that hires you activates your certification. Almost all academies in Michigan, with the exception of Detroit PD and Michigan State Police which have their own academies, are run this way. The kicker is that they rarely fail anyone. I've heard quite a few horror stories of people that graduated but luckily were not hired because they were horrible in the academy. Luckily, these academies are staffed by local police officers so those stories get back to the perspective departments. There's no guarantee to getting hired and many departments have much stricter standards than the basic MCOLES standards so you can pay $6,000 of your own money and never be a cop.
    Last edited by Aerohead; 07-25-2018, 05:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1RidgeRunner7
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

This " pay for stay "plan has it's ups and downs
    What do you mean by this?

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by TUNEDNIMPORTED View Post
    I am not familiar with this process. How did you get into academy without being hired? Academy isn't that bad...the hardest part for me is going to sleep at night because Im way to exited for tomorrow. Like right now.
    He is just graduating from COLLEGE. not an academy from what I can tell.

AND there are many states that will let a person PAY for attending an approved academy (usually through a Community College )and thus make themselves "academy graduates" This " pay for stay "plan has it's ups and downs

Leave a comment:

• TUNEDNIMPORTED
    replied
    I am not familiar with this process. How did you get into academy without being hired? Academy isn't that bad...the hardest part for me is going to sleep at night because Im way to exited for tomorrow. Like right now.

Leave a comment:

• Aerohead
    replied
    Lol ok man
    You're a ****ing idiot.

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    Lol ok man
    And after you have been given a careful and thoughtfully worded response, you still choose not to explain why you think no one will hire you.

Time for you to move on and look at other professions. Perhaps one where effective communication is not essential to the position. Possibly that of a librarian or an aquarium cleaner.

Leave a comment:

• Maya1994
    replied
    Lol ok man

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    I posted a long post with questions and details on why I was worried on getting hired, my guess is not all of it got posted or something went wrong.
    OK, that's two posts and you still haven't explained why you think you won't get hired.

Here's the deal. In hiring we look for people who are articulate, thorough and pay attention to detail (among other things). You posted your first message saying you were concerned about not getting hired without any explanatory details, leaving us to guess and try to pull facts out of you. That suggests a lack of thoroughness and an inability to be articulate, making you a not too attractive candidate.

Now you come back and claim your original post had much more detail, which somehow disappeared. (The dog are my homework excuse.) An applicant who was thorough and paid attention to detail would have double checked their post, made sure everything was there and edited if something was missing. Either you failed to do that, again suggesting you are a less than stellar candidate, or your are BSing us, again suggesting.... well, you figure it out.

OK, so let's look at today's message. Instead of posting the missing details as to why you think you can't get hired so we can give you a meaningful response, you pull a hit and run by making a BS excuse as to why the information wasn't posted the first time and then take off, leaving us guessing once more.

At this point my thoughts are - Applicant appears to lack the personal traits of dependability, industry, thoroughness, accuracy, good judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness, which are minimum requirements for the position. Recommend disqualification from further consideration.

Leave a comment:

• Maya1994
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Odox002
    replied
    What kinda buuuull****

Leave a comment:

• Aerohead
    replied
    This isn't ****ing Facebook. You don't post vaguely stupid "woe is me" posts and expect us to feel sorry for you and prod you for answers. Either ask a question or GTFOH.

Stupid *** kids.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11909 users online. 445 members and 11464 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X