300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips and advice for going into an Academy

I am currently in the process of applying for an academy. Its a bit smaller usually only graduating 12-18 students per session (it's held twice a year), but I was told that they are extremely strict and hold their students to high standards. Classes meet for 10 hours a day 5 days a week. I have all my paperwork finished and turned in and have spoken with the director of the program in person. So I'm just waiting to receive a response in the mail but I have been told that I should have nothing to worry about. I am a bit nervous for this experience. I am a 4'10 female who just turned 21. I literally turned in my application the day after I met the age requirement. I have my bachelor's in human development and family science and am more sure of and determined to succeed in this program and career path than I have been with anything else before. I want to be taken seriously in this career. I know im smaller and younger than many applicants but I am willing to put in as much work as it takes to make sure that I succeed. I am putting myself through the academy instead of going in through a department hire and I guess overall I am looking for a bit of advice on certain topics.

I was able to clear all physical requirements for the academy, including the 6' wall and 150 pound drag but what should I work on physically? Any sections of the curriculum anyone struggled with in particular?

When should I start looking into department hiring or will certain programs help out with that? I guess I am just unsure about the transition from the school to work even though I know that's getting ahead of myself.

Also any advice for my uniform. There are a few items that aren't provided specifically the boots (black that must be able to be shined). I wear a size 3.5-4 in womens and can't find a pair anywhere.

Any advice would help me out so much. Feel free to message me. I know it's a bit of a read but I would really appreciate anything you can tell me. Thank you.
    Last edited by kelsymouser; 05-09-2018, 05:46 AM.

I'm a self enrollee in SoCal.

Easy answers first, work on core strength and make sure you can run. Your 3.5-4 mile time should be between 33-39 minutes.

In my academy, they don't let us have a letter of good standing to apply to departments until 2nd phase. Most departments are asking for that to apply as lateral/academy enrolled. That being said, still take the initiative to meet with officers from the respective departments you wish to apply to. Community forums, coffee with a cop, sit-ins, ride alongs (should your academy allow ride alongs) are great places to make connections and find mentorship especially for a young woman. Since you're not sponsored, do not be afraid to look out of your county for a job, but definitely set your sights on a few that are your goals. With the exception of the departments here that are 1500+ strong, the majority of officers working these beats are self enrollees. If you gotta go through academy twice for the department you really want, so be it.

I don't often shop for women's boots, but when I do, Bates, Danner Tachyon, Nike SFB Tactical.

Don't quit, keep your life outside of academy together, study, shut up in class, BE AGGRESSIVE AND FOCUSED in training and understand that the people training you are police officers. Imagine your background investigator is watching you every single day to see if they'd hire you. If you're gonna be late, you don't wanna be a cop.

I'm not a cop, I'm in academy, so I don't know much. What I do know is that I'm mid 20s and hate that I waited so long and there are women in my class that are doing just fine, we'll see if they get jobs.

Chief Roxana Kennedy, Chula Vista PD was a self enrollee. Look her up, she's pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by kelsymouser View Post
      I am a 4'10 female
      This isn't a big issue, as long as you don't let it get to your head. Practice the wall, and join a boxing gym. Don't let the first time you get hit be in the Redman ring.

who just turned 21
      I turned 21 a few weeks before graduating. You will catch flak for it, but if you meet the requirement, then you meet the requirement. Prove yourself through your work.

I was able to clear all physical requirements for the academy, including the 6' wall and 150 pound drag but what should I work on physically? Any sections of the curriculum anyone struggled with in particular?
      In my experience the predominant style of workout is crossfit/HIIT coupled with long runs.

Also any advice for my uniform. There are a few items that aren't provided specifically the boots (black that must be able to be shined). I wear a size 3.5-4 in womens and can't find a pair anywhere.
      This is the boot I typically recommend. Doesn't come in the size you specified - maybe some thick insoles? Find a local uniform store and try some on.

When should I start looking into department hiring or will certain programs help out with that? I guess I am just unsure about the transition from the school to work even though I know that's getting ahead of myself.
      Immediately. You are behind the curve already - the best way to do it is go through the Academy on someone else's dime. The faster you get picked up, the sooner a paycheck starts coming. Typically, the hiring process takes anywhere from 6 months to 1 year.

Any advice would help me out so much. Feel free to message me. I know it's a bit of a read but I would really appreciate anything you can tell me. Thank you.
      1. Mouth shut, eyes/ears open
      2. Yes sir/Yes Ma'am/I don't know, sir/ma'am, but let me find out for you
      3. Sound off loud
      4. Don't get complacent
      5. Move with a purpose
      REINSTATE THE TRIG
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      Your logic defies logic
      Originally posted by Rudy8116
      Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
      Originally posted by Michigan
      Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
      Originally posted by TheTick
      A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
      Originally posted by TheTick
      This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
      Originally posted by 02paul09
      Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

Thanks for sharing an informative post.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11313 users online. 495 members and 10818 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X