300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contra Costa Academy

This might be long, so I appreciate anyone staying till the end.

Quick backstory. Im 32, been applying to be a police officer since 20.5. Got far in the process a couple times, San Francisco once said I lied on poly, I didn't, and then next time I made it to backgrounds and got the "thanks but no thanks" letter in the mail. Vegas said I also lied on my poly graph and didn't like my driving record (this was in 2009). All other agencies I have applied for either didnt make it past backgrounds or sat on their eligibility list until it expired. I started to re apply again around a year ago, and realized this was what I wanted to do with my life. I have a degree in CJ and haven't had any real issues in my background. I got arrested in 2011 for 653k (possession of a switchblade). It was a LEO knife, cop wanted to talk to me out of the car on a traffic stop, I told him I had a knife on me, he pulled it out and then I was arrested. Really lame, but my fault for not knowing it was illegal, lesson learned.

So since I want this career so badly, I applied to self sponsor myself in the Contra Costa Sheriff academy, and got accepted. There were 5 spots (at the time of interview) with 13 applicants. Not sure how many self sponsor applicants got the acceptance letter, but the academy starts may 14th, it is march 31st now. I am very excited to be apart of this academy, and to be honest really didn't think I was going to get in since I have been getting rejected in this field for so long. I have spoken with officers, and lots of them said they couldn't get hired and put themself through the academy and actually started getting paid while in the academy. I have gotten a personal trainer to help me get into shape, and help that I do not hurt myself since I really haven't been working out, the only thing I do is play ice hockey once a week.

Here are my questions. with all i'm sure of being subjective and situational

1- How realistic is getting hired through the academy and getting paid while in academy? I have the applications ready to go once I start, so I can apply to the "hiring academy attendee" agencies. I am going through Antioch PD, Concord PD, and Modesto PD process now.

2- If I do not get a job while in the academy and pass, is the POST cert really that big of a deal to agencies. One reason I decided to go to school was to have an upper advantage on other applicants that I would have a degree, also that I would be able to even apply to agencies who required a degree. Little did I know that a large of the applicants do have a degree, and I am just one of the hundreds or even thousands of applicants.

3- Last question is I am curious as to why people fail the academy. Quitting, not passing academics, and getting hurt are obvious, but what about the physical tests? I have heard there is a requirement of running 1.5 miles in 12:30. Is that you just need to pass that once withing the 6 months? are there any specific things I should have my trainer help me with so I am more prepared?

I am very excited to be apart of this career field and hoping I can get all the info/help available. Thanks for anyones time who has read this/replied!

PS I did do searches and got some answers. Just wanted to get current info/personal experiences on this. Thanks

Since this is a public forum, I can reply. Note, I am not a cop, but am in an Academy.

1 - Depends on too much to give an accurate answer. How qualified you are as a candidate, how quickly an agency processes backgrounds, how soon the agency needs you to start, etc.

2 - Again, depends. For a smaller agency, it means less of a commitment (read: loss) should you fail FTO/probation. For a larger agency, particularly one with their own Academy, it will still look good and bump you up the list, but is not weighted as much.

3 - Having spoken with both recruits who washed out of Contra Costa academy, and Officers who graduated the program, I feel very comfortable in saying the this particular Academy is one of the most rigorous/intensive in the area (if not the state). Most of the recruits that washed out did so due to the stress and inability to cope. You shouldn't worry about the PT test.....the PT regimen is much harder. The PT test are the easy days...
    REINSTATE THE TRIG
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    Your logic defies logic
    Originally posted by Rudy8116
    Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
    Originally posted by Michigan
    Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
    Originally posted by TheTick
    A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
    Originally posted by TheTick
    This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
    Originally posted by 02paul09
    Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

You shouldn’t be looking to just pass it once in 6 months. That is a terrible way to look at the MINIMUM standards, you should be able to pass that run at any point in time on any day.

We had one self-sponsor get hired in my academy, and they did start paying him. During the academy departments will also come visit the class, to“pitch” to the self sponsors why they should apply to them.

Remeber as the guy who isn’t getting paid, you are the only person competing for a job there. You should be at least top 5 in the class. Do you think some agency wants the guy who couldn’t get hired for years and then placed last in his class ranking? Or they guy who excelled in the academy?

CoCo is stressful and they demand a lot from their recruits, but there is a reason why CoCo agencies are now sending their recruits to ACSO... just sayin.

Comment

A couple things I'm not clear on...

In the first paragraph, you say you failed two polygraph tests, and have failed the background check at some other places, but don't say how many others... but go on to say you don't have any real issues in your background. Why would those agencies fail you on the BG if you have no issues?

You also say one agency didn't like your driving record. Hmmm. How can you expect to enforce traffic law on others, if you have a history of violating it in your personal life?

In your second paragraph, you say you want this job so badly, and have been applying to various agencies for over ten years... yet in the last sentence you say you now have a personal trainer to get you back in shape... Did you just find out recently that you'll have to pass physical agility requirements in the academy?

Something to keep in mind... just wanting something real badly won't be a factor in actually getting it. You have to put the work in, too.
        You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Most agencies are hiring and some are near desperate. If you apply now keep in mind you may not get the time off from the Academy for the interviews & other appointments.

The POST cert is a big deal because you can be a solo officer 6 months sooner than if they hire you and put you through an Academy.

Comment

Originally posted by mike1390 View Post
            You shouldn’t be looking to just pass it once in 6 months. That is a terrible way to look at the MINIMUM standards, you should be able to pass that run at any point in time on any day.

We had one self-sponsor get hired in my academy, and they did start paying him. During the academy departments will also come visit the class, to“pitch” to the self sponsors why they should apply to them.

Remeber as the guy who isn’t getting paid, you are the only person competing for a job there. You should be at least top 5 in the class. Do you think some agency wants the guy who couldn’t get hired for years and then placed last in his class ranking? Or they guy who excelled in the academy?

CoCo is stressful and they demand a lot from their recruits, but there is a reason why CoCo agencies are now sending their recruits to ACSO... just sayin.
            I'm not looking to pass it once in 6 months, I am looking to make sure I am capable of passing. Which is the reason I want to be prepared with a trainer prior to taking these tests. Not sure if I expressed what I was looking for correctly.

as far as "top 5 in the class". what qualifies one to be in top 5? physical aspect? academic aspect? both? specific testing?

Funny you have the comparison from CoCo to ACSO academies. I have heard that ACSO is a lot more demanding. I haven't been to either, I am going off of what other police agencies have told me.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt5811 View Post
              A couple things I'm not clear on...

In the first paragraph, you say you failed two polygraph tests, and have failed the background check at some other places, but don't say how many others... but go on to say you don't have any real issues in your background. Why would those agencies fail you on the BG if you have no issues?

You also say one agency didn't like your driving record. Hmmm. How can you expect to enforce traffic law on others, if you have a history of violating it in your personal life?

In your second paragraph, you say you want this job so badly, and have been applying to various agencies for over ten years... yet in the last sentence you say you now have a personal trainer to get you back in shape... Did you just find out recently that you'll have to pass physical agility requirements in the academy?

Something to keep in mind... just wanting something real badly won't be a factor in actually getting it. You have to put the work in, too.
              I have been trying to figure out why these agencies have not picked me up. The only specific thing I know was when I went to a background investigation interview for Stockton PD. The investigator kept going back to me getting fired from a job (I used my employee discount for a friend and it was against policy) in 2004 and asking me about my criminal history as a minor (which I do not have one). After the interview he indicated to me that this interview did not go well since he thought I was lying to him. The investigator told me that there was a police report from april 2004, same month/year I got fired for theft. I had no idea about it. Also there was a police report with me as a minor about a theft as well which I had no idea about. The investigator let me withdraw my application and not get disqualified which was good. I went to the cities that I had the police reports in, one was while I was working, I witnessed someone stealing something and I guess I spoke with the police and I was indicated as a witness. The police report as a minor was almost the same deal. There was money missing from our home, my mom called the police, told them she went through my room along with my siblings and did not find the money and I was listed as a subject. I have spoken with background investigators and other police agencies (including the academy) and they are unsure why the investigator was not able determine that I was not involved in the crimes. I now have these reports to include on my PHS.

I have spoken to a couple different background investigators, friends of police officers I know and sheriff background investigators, and they said it could have just been a standards/score issue. I did not get a high enough score to proceed or they are strictly not taking applicants that have ever been fired for example. I have spoken with multiple people in the field along with HR departments and background investigators about my past. Everyone I have talked to said I have no real issues, or that the issues I do have in my past are long ago and do not reflect current character.

Believe me, I am trying to figure out why I was not hired. I am not looking at this in a unrealistic way. Self sponsoring is requiring me to quit my job, and spend 5k+ on the academy. I have done my research on if I am even able to become a police officer.

5-10 years ago I was in shape and not putting myself through the academy. Now since I am not greatly in shape, I want to be prepared for what the academy requires and more.

I understand that just wanting it so badly wont give me a job offer. I have been taking oral board interview workshops. Networking in departments that I am applying to and also not applying to. Going on ride a longs, working out, researching everything I can how to get a job on requirements and who is actually hiring.

I can take the honesty, so if self sponsoring is a bad idea, I would like peoples input. This is a huge risk for me and my family.

Comment

Being brutally honest...you have not been hired in 12 years. Getting accepted into the Academy isn't even close to getting accepted at an Agency. You have wanted this for a long time but are out of shape and not quite ready. You are not a strong candidate & don't have much chance of getting hired.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
                  Being brutally honest...you have not been hired in 12 years. Getting accepted into the Academy isn't even close to getting accepted at an Agency. You have wanted this for a long time but are out of shape and not quite ready. You are not a strong candidate & don't have much chance of getting hired.

I appriciate you being honest, however I must have somehow misworded me not being in shape. I weigh 185 at 5'9". Im not terribly out of shape, the reason I got a personal trainer was so I wouldn't hurt myself. Or am I totally missing something here?

Comment

• eagleI
                    eagleI commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It makes sense. Many go into an Academy thinking they are in shape then get their butts kicked by the Cross Fit/super athlete PT Instructors.

So you are just saying that since If I won't be at the top of the class due to fitness it will be difficult to get a job?

Comment

I went into my academy in what I thought was great shape. I had been competing in CrossFit for a couple years, would regularly hike with 40+ lbs on my back, and did triathlons. I had plenty of other cops tell me “dude, the PT will be cake for you”. We got smoked everyday, your body couldn’t recover. As much as I wanted a 10 min break from lecture I dreaded it because I knew it would be about 8min worth of smoke sesh. I was in CrossFit shape but not in academy shape. My advice is stay away from a personal trainer who is only going to give you a 20-30 min workout a day. Find an actual plan for getting into academy shape, and do it yourself. If you can’t motivate yourself to get into shape for a job that can kill you... nobody is going to.

Comment

Originally posted by DugEfresh86 View Post
                      So you are just saying that since If I won't be at the top of the class due to fitness it will be difficult to get a job?
                      I beleive you are being told that unless you are in the top 5 of your class, you are going to have a hard time getting hired PERIOD.

You have a lot of baggage and are going to have to be both a stellar academic cadet as well as a stellar physical training cadet.

You also are going to have to fully explain your past problem and convince a hiring board that you aren't that person anymore
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by DugEfresh86 View Post
                        Not based on your physical fitness. You failed two poly's, didn't make it past backgrounds and have been trying for 12 years without getting hired. And getting arrested for anything is a "real issue". There are quite a few agencies who may have no problem with you but none I would want to work for or with. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6809 users online. 218 members and 6591 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X