X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven’t been on this site in a long time…a lot changes in five years

Comment

Still at the same Dept?

Lots of LEO changes in the last five years,……..

Comment

Yeah! Same department. Half of my class is gone but it’s been fun. A lot of learning and moving around the department in a good way. My new assignment is actually out of the academy so it feels weird in a full circle way.

Comment

So you’re now INSTRUCTOR PTownMostWanted,…..Ha!

Congratulation!

Comment

This is the perfect point in your career, to be teaching new officers.

Immediately after the typical 3-5 year "rookie" phase is best for this type of stuff. Your training is more recent and more current than more senior officers, and you're not as cynical and hardened as senior officers.

But PLEASE, just be sure to teach the basics. There are so many crappy FTOs and instructors out there, that like to make themselves feel clever by teaching new officers all the "tricks" and "shortcuts", without teaching them the basics, and it cripples the new officers, sometimes involving career-ending actions.

Comment

• PTownMostWanted
              PTownMostWanted commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely true! I’m not an instructor and never wanted to be an FTO. But I learned a lot from some situations that I luckily handled well being new and seeing the f ups from other officers and hearing stories about it. I always make sure to look out for the new ones though even my old police aide.

Good point, experienced enough to no longer be a Rookie, but fresh enough to still remember Rookie questions, answers, and the Academy grind.

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post
              So you’re now INSTRUCTOR PTownMostWanted,…..Ha!

Congratulation!
              Lol not an instructor yet, my unit just works out of the building. Hopefully I’ll take the detective’s test and continue to work up from there!

Comment

Great,……NEVER quit grinding!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2296 users online. 161 members and 2135 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X