Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it a conditioning issue? Or is it an injury issue?

If it's just a conditioning issue - DO NOT ****ING QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Trust me on this one.

DO.
    NOT.
    QUIT.

Pain and misery is temporary; quitting lasts FOREVER. Trust me on this one.

PUSH.
    PUSH.
    PUSH.

and PUSH yourself MORE.
    Originally posted by RSGSRT
    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Don't quit!!!!! Building endurance and speed can be frustrating, but here are my two cents:

For endurance:
      Start anywhere with 1.5 - 3 miles, and try your damndest to not stop at all. I used to be a X-Country runner in high school, and I am embarrassed by where I have to start off with now. After about 2 weeks, you'll notice that you'll get faster, and you can go up to 4-6 miles.

For speed (my current weakness) Don't do all of these at once or on the same day:
      -Hill Sprints (H-A-T-E these, but very necessary) after a walk or light jog: 1 minute on, 1 minute off. Start off with at least 5 of these.
      -USMC or military HITT (High Intensity Tactical Training). They have different programs depending on what you are aiming for on their web page:
      http://www.fitness.marines.mil/HITT_Programs/
      -Workouts from the book, 8 Weeks to Seal Fit by Mark Divine. Divine has helped develop the mental toughness program for the Navy Seals, and he has been a Seal himself.
      -Burpees. I'm convinced these are their own circle of Hell.

General Fitness:
      While I am not a trainer, as someone who has done multiple sports, and now starting from the bottom (cue the Drake song), just remember to focus on technique and endurance first. Speed will eventually come. Too many people push themselves to an intermediate or advanced level right out of the gate, and eventually get injuries that put them further behind.

I will say that lifting weights does help some in terms of overall strength and conditioning. Sometimes we don't realize that our running is affected by a muscle group not being strong.

It doesn't hurt to schedule some sessions or talk to a trainer either.

-Liz
      Last edited by E-562; 12-02-2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Old thread but a common problem. Mostly sedentary people suddenly having to turn into an athlete. I watched the struggles at academy.

Just suggestions for what worked for me after I had to sit on my tukus for 3 months.
        Hike. Low impact but steep stuff and get your thinking reoriented. Pain is what it is all about. Look forward to it. Push it, taking it easy at first but don't slack off. Keep on yourself. Bring sport drinks and high carb snacks then drive yourself until you are ready to drop. Serious, change your brain. Look forwards to feeling the muscles ache, PAIN YES!!!
        Bike. Ride yer lard off. Don't go get a super fast road bike. Go find a steel frame one speed old clunk. Get the seat up real high so you aren't trashing your knees then pound it out. Start at 2 or 3 miles and every day go a little farther.
        If you can do a 5 mile hike -and- a 10 mile bike ride in one 24 hour block without feeling DOA your ready to handle what academy PT dishes out. 10 mile hike and a 20 mile bike ride and it's like what old Jack Burton said,
        "Give me your best shot. I can take it."
        And if you want to really hurt and get with the program fast, get a sliding seat rowing machine. Those don't cut slack as they exercise all the major muscles in the body at the same time. If you can get access to one, get on an Erg. Those puppies put triathletes through the paces. http://journal.crossfit.com/2008/08/...dy-geer-au.tpl http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/model-d
        (Me? I'm a fitness freak. So if I sound holier than though, apologies in advance.)
        There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading and a few that learn by observation. All the rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut Butter View Post
          I had to sit on my tukus
          They speak Yiddish in Wyoming?

Comment

• Peanut Butter
            Peanut Butter commented
            Editing a comment
            That's Yiddish? Live and learn. We speak all kinds of things. But I'm allergic to ************************************************** **************************

I ran for 4 weeks. Taking my initial PT test Tuesday. 1.5mi in 17:30
          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
          DA Security Guard, APG MD (GS-5 Step 06)

Comment

• saintcajun78
            saintcajun78 commented
            Editing a comment
            Where are you applying J2H? Still up north...Maryland if I recall. What's the minimum run time needed?

• J2H
            J2H commented
            Editing a comment
            Got on as a DA Guard at Aberdeen (5 step 6). 19 pushups in 2 mins and 1.5mi in 17:30

Originally posted by LVZ8 View Post
          I am currently on my third week of the academy, and i am definitely struggling through the PT. My performance has been terrible in mostly all of the running aspects. I have been told by classmates to push through and not quit, but I am not sure what to do. I truly want to keep going for it but I do not know if I should just resign and come back once I’m more fit, or if I should struggle through the next six months and attempt to slowly get better. I am asking for advice on what would be best for me to do. Maybe even tips for how to improve on my running.
          Well any updates? Did you stick with it? What was your conditioning like (other than weak cardiovascular endurance)? height, weight, etc. Remember eating is 75% of it, and eating too little is just as bad as eating too much. Starving your body of quality calories can bring you to a screeching halt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5822 users online. 291 members and 5531 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X