300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington State Patrol Academy

What have you all heard about the WSP Academy? If all goes well, I might be going into the arming class starting 4/2018. Any advice and feedback is greatly appreciated.

I just applied two days ago...the only thing I know for certain is that it starts in April. A friend told me that sometime during it, you have to dive down into water and pull an instructor from a car...not sure how accurate that is but I'm swimming in preparation for that lol. Also heard the PT is rough.
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

• dw_91
      dw_91 commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. Yes, I can only imagine that PT is difficult to say the least for the Troopers. Best of luck to you. The process is long but I'm sure well worth it. The next class starts this coming Monday (9/25).

I can't speak to the WSP academy specifically but as with any academy, you will need to check-in ready to chew up and spit out whatever they throw at you physically (If they say you need to be able to do 50 push-ups upon arrival, be able to perform 100 on command, etc). Keep your mouth shut and ears open; follow every instruction to the letter.

If you really want to go the extra mile, bring a small iron and mini ironing board and things like extra pens and the like for your classmates that will inevitably fail to follow directions and forget theirs. Bear them up with humility and it will pay dividends for you when one of them becomes your supervisor or you become theirs in the future.

Comment

• dw_91
      dw_91 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the tip about the mini ironing board and bringing extra pens and such for the fellow classmates. Only good things can come from that. I am working out in crossfit type classes 4-5 times per week. I need to continue my running and pushups/sit ups daily.

Originally posted by DepTroop View Post
    I can't speak to the WSP academy specifically but as with any academy, you will need to check-in ready to chew up and spit out whatever they throw at you physically (If they say you need to be able to do 50 push-ups upon arrival, be able to perform 100 on command, etc). Keep your mouth shut and ears open; follow every instruction to the letter.

If you really want to go the extra mile, bring a small iron and mini ironing board and things like extra pens and the like for your classmates that will inevitably fail to follow directions and forget theirs. Bear them up with humility and it will pay dividends for you when one of them becomes your supervisor or you become theirs in the future.
    Solid advice! dw_91, WSP has publicized very little info on their academy and what goes on there but I would expect a lot of good old fashioned push ups, running, and sit ups to start. The Crossfit work out of the day wouldn't hurt either...
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

• dw_91
      dw_91 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure/know they want to weed out the weak at the start with brute strength as you said. The crossfit WOD is a great tip. A push up/sit up pyramid is something I should do too. That would be a terrible reason why I fail the academy.

The WSP does a YouTube series called "good to know" that has some academy segments in it. You may find that useful.

Comment

WSP is going to be much more militaristic, compared to city and county agencies using the CJTC. Very PT Orientated, structured live in academy.
      A lot of people say it's the best of the best when it comes to training in WA state. Especially your EVOC, seeing as how the WSP trains all WA State LEO during the academy.

Just do what you're told, be ready for whatever they throw at you, and most importantly be willing to learn! Good Luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12722 users online. 476 members and 12246 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X