300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD Academy Take Home Pay

I'm in the application process for the LAPD, and I'm trying to plan budget in case everything goes well, because it will be a significant drop from what I earn now.
    They say that the salary is $59,717. But it's difficult to calculate the net take home pay each month because of the different taxes and other CA deductions, union dues, medical, dental, mandatory retirement.

Has anyone recently gone through the process and could tell me what the net take home pay each month was?

Originally posted by rv1983 View Post
    I'm in the application process for the LAPD, and I'm trying to plan budget in case everything goes well, because it will be a significant drop from what I earn now.
    They say that the salary is $59,717. But it's difficult to calculate the net take home pay each month because of the different taxes and other CA deductions, union dues, medical, dental, mandatory retirement.

Has anyone recently gone through the process and could tell me what the net take home pay each month was?
    Why dont' you just call their HR staff

That shows the starting salary at the academy...........................TAKE HOME PAY would depend on the recruit's W4 form as to deductions

THEREFORE your takehome pay might be different from mine even if we started on the same day
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

(F*** Off Cuz Ur Stupid)

Comment

Originally posted by rv1983 View Post

Im guessing roughly 30 percent off the top with just fed and state taxes..

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Why dont' you just call their HR staff

That shows the starting salary at the academy...........................TAKE HOME PAY would depend on the recruit's W4 form as to deductions

THEREFORE your takehome pay might be different from mine even if we started on the same day
        Now Iowa you be been around a hour or two and now that's too easy to do.

to the op. Rough math of 59,717÷24 paychecks= 2,488.2083333333. With your deductions out I could easily say your bi-weekly take home of approx. 1600 to 1700.
        Last edited by moparfan; 08-11-2017, 04:28 PM.
        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post

to the op. Rough math of 59,717÷24 months = 2,488.2083333333. With your deductions out I could easily say your bi-weekly take home of approx. 1600 to 1700.
          Uh... isnt 26 pay periods pretty standard?

52 weeks per year...

Comment

Was doing easy math, didn't feel like doing 26, might complicate things for the op

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post

to the op. Rough math of 59,717÷24 paychecks= 2,488.2083333333. With your deductions out I could easily say your bi-weekly take home of approx. 1600 to 1700.
              Dear God. $1600 will get you a one bedroom apartment in LA.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt N View Post

Dear God. $1600 will get you a one bedroom apartment in LA.
                More like a studio. Thank the pension reform and the folks that bleed CalPERS.

the biggest problem with that system is the moving around folks did. Meaning doing 25 years with City A with 3@50, percentage times years worked would give you final salary. Sometimes highest 3 or 5 year average. 50 would be earliest you could retire. So folks assuming hired on at 25 years old retires at 50 good pension. But still wants to work. He goes to City B same 3@50. but wait City B says vested at 5 years. So he does meets age requirements but not vested. So he waits till 55 retires now gets 15% of salary averages. He's getting 75% from City A and 15 from City B. He could essential be making.same as when working. Several folks from PDs, FDs and the folks running the city did just that. Moved for promotions or what ever reason. The problem is that CalPERS is ONE BIG FUND. The pension reform screwed all pension because politicians made them ALL LOOK BAD. Yet LA City has their own and was doing just fine. LA County has own and doing great. So now all new employees have to pay more into their various systems.

Comment

City departments in our state are all under one big fund too, but your service years transfer from department to department. In other words you can't go to another city in the state and get a 2nd pension, but if you have 15 years on and go to another city, you can continue your pension there. It even carries over between city and fire departments. That being said, you can still go to county departments and get a 2nd pension, which a lot of guys do.

Currently we're vested 50% at 20 and can't draw until 52. It goes up 2% every year until capping at 75% at 32 years. The two methods of retirement are entering the "DROP", where you get a lump sum upon retirement but you're locked in to your percentage the year you retire, or you can not "DROP" and you get your percentage of whatever the standard officer makes every year. (So if the department raises, you raise)

But, I just heard they're trying to change it where you'd no longer get to drop, but you'd get 75% at 20 years and be able to draw at 50. If that passes, there's gonna be a LOT of cops with 20 years on retiring.

Comment

That's why I moved to Las Vegas. Not to much traffic, gas prices are at 2.60 a gal, no state tax (extra $200 to your paycheck). you can get a nice home for $260k brand new.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10512 users online. 419 members and 10093 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X