Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PT everyday

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PT everyday

    We literally have some kind of crazy circuit and cardio pt we do every single day. Some days we even have 2-a-days. In order to keep my strength and size, does anybody have any suggestions on how to lift and manage my off days(weekends)? I like to lift on our lunch breaks but it seems every time I do we end up doing another crazy afternoon pt. And then if I workout in the morning, same thing. I can't workout after because I have to get home t my wife and 2 kids. Any little bit of help would be greatly appreciated; personal experiences or anything.

  • #2
    Nut up and get it done. I would personally recommend you knock it off with the lifting unless they are making you do heavy lifting during PT, which strikes me as unusual.

    You'll do better with cardio if you focus on cardio (heavy muscle types tend to struggle with endurance cardio). If you are doing one or more PT sessions every day, use your down time to recover and don't do anything physical. Instead, focus on rest and good nutrition. This is why we tell recruits to show up to the academy already physically prepared.
    Last edited by DepTroop; 07-22-2017, 05:15 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DepTroop View Post
      Nut up and get it done. I would personally recommend you knock it off with the lifting unless they are making you do heavy lifting during PT, which strikes me as unusual.

      You'll do better with cardio if you focus on cardio (heavy muscle types tend to struggle with endurance cardio). If you are doing one or more PT sessions every day, use your down time to recover and don't do anything physical. Instead, focus on rest and good nutrition. This is why we tell recruits to show up to the academy already physically prepared.
      I'm not saying that I'm not good at cardio. I'm just trying to focus on keeping strength throughout all the cardio we do.

      Comment


      • DepTroop
        DepTroop commented
        Editing a comment
        My experience is that you're gonna lose out on one to focus on the other. It's tough when you aren't in charge of your own workouts. I'd say good nutrition is your best friend in this instance, and I'd focus on meeting your academy standard at the expense of your weightlifting if that it what it comes to.
        Last edited by DepTroop; 07-22-2017, 10:29 PM.

    • #4
      If you wanna keep your strength with all the cardio then you pretty much need to eat enough to make up for what youre burning during the cardio sessions. I lift and when I have a PT test coming up with the military I amp up my running routine and also amp up my eating as well. Keep your protein at about 1g per pound of body weight and you shouldnt have any strength loss issues.

      And if I were you I wouldnt be doing too much lifting. Concentrate on what you need to pass your academy PT test.

      Comment


      • #5
        At this point, your job is to graduate from the academy. To do that, train how your instructors are telling you to. It's a few quick months out of a hopefully very long life. Size and strength are easy to recover. Cardio fitness is not so easy to rebuild, so never stop doing endurance training. It will pay dividends in the form of better health, physical and mental performance. But for now, just do what the TO's say.
        Last edited by ateamer; 07-23-2017, 12:05 PM.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

        I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

        Comment


        • #6
          PT, good for you, good for me!
          Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
          Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

          Comment


          • #7
            In my academy, we had structured PT sessions and 2x a days were the standard routine. None of us worked out on our lunch break because we would get absolutely smoked by our instructors.

            "oh, we must not be working you hard enough"

            I would focus on getting through the academy. Eat enough protein and you won't lose muscle. And even if you lose some muscle, you'll earn it back after the academy.

            You have your whole life to work out, but one chance at the academy. You want to risk injuring yourself by overtraining and possibly get removed from the program?

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by BP3 View Post

              You have your whole life to work out, but one chance at the academy. You want to risk injuring yourself by overtraining and possibly get removed from the program?
              This x 1000.

              If you over do it then it puts you at risk for mental fatigue and at a higher risk for getting sick when your body is broken down from overtraining.
              Last edited by NC_Mtnman ; 07-24-2017, 09:41 AM.

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by NC_Mtnman View Post

                This x 1000.

                If you over do it then it puts you at risk for mental fatigue and at a higher risk for getting sick when your body is broken down from overtraining.
                yup I agree. This actually happened to me while I was at the academy. My PT instructors were glorified gym teachers and I had no choice but to workout everyday after classes. I didnt know much about how to train for running at the time and ended up with a yanked hip flexor and I was super sick and vomitted the day of my final pt test. Drank a warm cup of man up the morning of though and ended up passing.

                Comment

                MR300x250 Tablet

                Collapse

                What's Going On

                Collapse

                There are currently 11425 users online. 417 members and 11008 guests.

                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                Welcome Ad

                Collapse
                Working...
                X