Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State Police Academy (Trooper) vs. Federal Govt. (non-Law Enforcement position)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Police Academy (Trooper) vs. Federal Govt. (non-Law Enforcement position)

Trying to get some honest advice here and even those with comparable experiences. I have been accepted into a State Police Trooper academy (24 weeks). This is an opportunity that is extremely competitive and very fortunate to succeed through the pre-employment process and be offered a slot. This was and (trying to see if it is still) a dream of mine since my high school/college days but now I am 37 years of age, married, no kids and established in a great area for quality of life, and employed with a federal government agency for approximately 12 years. I'm now a GS-12 and in a management position. Although, been very unhappy in my current position. There will be federal agency opportunities that may present themselves but not for a few years but not even sure I even would enjoy those promotional opportunities within my agency as I am bored and feel like I just stay for the job security, pay/benefits, and work schedule. I have done all the pros/cons and still come up doubting whether or not this is the right move as it appears to be a risk (in my mind). I would be taking a significant pay cut of $30K at first and starting from the bottom of course as expected. Potential to be making what I am now in 2-3 years. I have no doubt that I can physically and academically get through it. I'm not prior military though. Any thoughts, experiences?

double tap
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel27 View Post
      Trying to get some honest advice here and even those with comparable experiences. I have been accepted into a State Police Trooper academy (24 weeks). This is an opportunity that is extremely competitive and very fortunate to succeed through the pre-employment process and be offered a slot. This was and (trying to see if it is still) a dream of mine since my high school/college days but now I am 37 years of age, married, no kids and established in a great area for quality of life, and employed with a federal government agency for approximately 12 years. I'm now a GS-12 and in a management position. Although, been very unhappy in my current position. There will be federal agency opportunities that may present themselves but not for a few years but not even sure I even would enjoy those promotional opportunities within my agency as I am bored and feel like I just stay for the job security, pay/benefits, and work schedule. I have done all the pros/cons and still come up doubting whether or not this is the right move as it appears to be a risk (in my mind). I would be taking a significant pay cut of $30K at first and starting from the bottom of course as expected. Potential to be making what I am now in 2-3 years. I have no doubt that I can physically and academically get through it. I'm not prior military though. Any thoughts, experiences?
      In your case.....................you either want to be a cop or you don't.

My problem with your scenario is....................you just took someone's space in the academy and you aren't even sure you want the job.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

In your case.....................you either want to be a cop or you don't.

My problem with your scenario is....................you just took someone's space in the academy and you aren't even sure you want the job.
        I took someones space? Where do you see that? I have not even walked through that door yet (I received acceptance). Lets be honest here there are many that decide beforehand, after, and in the midst of the academy. I don't think it's a one size fits all approach.

Comment

If you already got accepted, you took a slot from someone. The question is... do you want to be a cop or not. The benefits you have after 12yrs (retirement, etc) are already established, whereas with the Troopers you will be starting from the bottom as a rookie. I'd stay where you are. I have 1 yr of civilian federal service and 9 years military (for a total of 10yrs Federal) but since I have only been where I am for a year I can easily move to civilian government. You, however, have too much invested in a Management position to just leave.
          Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
          Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

I took someones space? Where do you see that? I have not even walked through that door yet (I received acceptance). Lets be honest here there are many that decide beforehand, after, and in the midst of the academy. I don't think it's a one size fits all approach.
            Wrong. 99% already know they want it. That last 1% are the ones who can't take it and leave. This isn't Burger King. This is life and death.

You come off as bored and think that switching jobs is just an exercise in making you feel better.

You took someone's place. A person who just might make the difference.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

So, to synopsize, your dilemma is you hate your current non-LE job with the G and an opportunity to do something you've always wanted (state police) has come along but now you are having second thoughts because it would mean bah bye to 12 years you've invested into FERS and an easy, comfortable but boring daily routine?

To synopsize what could be a long response about following your dreams, not focusing on the money because it'll work out, living life with as few regrets a possible, etc., I'll just say that your unhappiness is unlikely to change unless you make a change.
              I used to be a banker but I lost interest.

-Steven Wright

Comment

I took someones space? Where do you see that?
                You were accepted...................that means someone who REALLY wants to be there didn't get that spot..............So you took that persons spot in the academy

Lets be honest here there are many that decide beforehand, after, and in the midst of the academy. I don't think it's a one size fits all approach.
                No....................not even close. Most people who get into an academy already know what they want to do with their lives..............and REALLY have been dreaming of that profession for years

What happens is.............a few people decide during the academy that it isn't for them...............and then many do the same after being sworn in and working for a while...

Comment

Relative to employment as a State Trooper, nobody cares whether you were in the military or not. They obviously liked you enough to hire you. You are one of the relative few that have qualified for an LE position, so if you can handle the pay cut I say go do what makes you happy. Just know that you still have two major hurdles in the form of your academy as well as your FTEP and there are no guarantees you will make it through. And like a colleague said, this is a life and death profession. Is that what you really want? It's likely not going to be as comfortable as your desk gig. It will be more exciting and challenging however, if that is what you desire.

If you do go for, go full tilt because you will probably not succeed if you are just bored.
                  Last edited by DepTroop; 07-20-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6739 users online. 325 members and 6414 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X