300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation

during the academy or during your FTO period, can you take vacation? I already paid for me and my wife to go to Disney world but that will be during my FTO period. How does that work?

Are you serious??? WOW, sure take the vacation and enjoy your time, hopefully you will have a job when you get back.

I have NO IDEA where you work, BUT IF you went from the academy to patrol like all police, or highway enforcement departments or work a sheriff department that is separate from custody and courts why would you pay for Disney? Only thing I could think of is if you were processing with your Department. Got hired but planned and bought the trip before hired. If that's the case and you have proof you might be able to, BUT IT WOULD BE HIGHLY FROWNED UPON.

My department you kinda have a tentative time frame of when going to patrol. Hell it's almost looked down upon by some when you take more than a week FMLA when your wife gives birth.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

I'm sure it's different at every department, but um... WHY did you schedule a vacation during FTO? Did you pay for this trip quite some time ago, like before you got hired?
      It seems like you have 2 options:
      1) ask to get vacation time approved by your department.
      2) ask Disney to reschedule your vacation.

I actually recently had a good experience with Disney as far rescheduling. However, mine was due to a medical emergency. They were actually able to reschedule our Disney cruise THE DAY BEFORE our cruise left. But again, this was a medical emergency, and our doctor faxed them a letter. However, if it's just a trip to the resort, I would bet they would be willing to reschedule if you call them.

That's my advice. Call Disney. Reschedule your trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshdavis18 View Post
        during the academy or during your FTO period, can you take vacation? I already paid for me and my wife to go to Disney world but that will be during my FTO period. How does that work?
        MOST agencies will not allow someone to take a vacation until the "time off" is earned................that depends on how time off is accrued .

NO agency is going to allow you to take time off during an academy...............

FEW agemcoes will allow time off during FTO

As stated Disney will probably work with you....................but you need to remember that completing your training for the LE agencies is your CAREER........& will be important all of your life

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Where I worked, if you're gone from the academy, stay gone. Taking off during FTO training may be doable.
          They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

I haven't been accepted to any department yet I just know if I do get accepted when the next academy date will be and after the 14 weeks is up I would be in FTO that's why I was asking

Comment

You won't be taking vacation during these required periods.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Okay thanks everyone I'll go ahead and post pone the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshdavis18 View Post
                  Okay thanks everyone I'll go ahead and post pone the trip.
                  You haven't been hired yet..........................
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

My department doesn't allow vacation until after you have been there a year. Do you feel confident you are going to be hired? I probably wouldn't postpone my vacation until I was absolutely sure that I was hired. Seems a bit premature.

Comment

Lasd, you don't have any vacation time until one year of service...When I was on FTO in 1973 for 5 months I never even considered taking a day off for any reason.. Vacations were always on seniority and if you were the low man on the totem pole you can count on a vacation in the winter months..
                      Retired LASD

Comment

OP put the King before the Burger.
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I started earning vacation the day I was hired, but couldn't start taking the days off until after my Academy. I am glad I didn't have to wait a year, as I have burned a lot of annual hours in the year I have been working just to "get away"
                          Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                          Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Josh,

Many (but not all) departments start scheduling vacations in November and December for the following year. First, they calculate the total number of vacation weeks that will be earned by personnel in each rank. Then they determine how many people would have to be off at any given time if those vacation weeks were evenly spread throughout the year. For example, if everyone in police officer positions cumulatively earns 104 weeks of vacation per year, that means they should schedule no more than two people to be off on vacation at any one time to ensure an even distribution of time off and not short police coverage.

Depending on local practice or union contract, In November and December, officers will then bid for their vacation slot based on seniority. With seniority, the junior guys usually wind up with vacations in January or February but as time goes on you will gain seniority and better vacation pickings. .

Once you bid for a vacation slot it's pretty much etched in stone. Of course, you can give it up and not take vacation, or trade with someone, and if a slot remains unclaimed, someone can ask for it. But the concept you are thinking of is pretty much not available in many agencies.

Now, some agencies have what's called minimum staffing levels. If they are above minimum staffing on a given day you might be granted day off requests, but that's often a last minute item.
                            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

What I did was walked directly into my Chief's office, took a seat on his couch, grabbed a coffee and told him I needed a weekend of drinking and womanizing. .

I think you'll be fine....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10221 users online. 349 members and 9872 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X