X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck!
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Can you run the mile and half without walking? If not pace yourself so you can finish it with out walking. Then if you have some energy left, use it at the end. Hang in there!

Comment

Mine doesn't have a mile and a half but it does have running... it goes like this:
        • Run 200 yards
        • Step on aerobics step bench 20 times
        • 15 push-ups
        • 15 sit-ups
        • Step on aerobics step bench 20 times
        • 15 push-ups
        • 15 sit-ups
        • Run 200 yards
        Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
        Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

God damn chin splints...

Comment

Dont sweat it, just keep training. I'm 5'9" and 238 pounds... I'd like to think it's mostly muscle but lets face it, im 17% body fat. I managed to run the 1.5 in just over 14 minutes. MY best was 11:30, like 6 years ago (i'm 29 now).

Just keep trying, doing intervals. Sprint a lap or 300 meter, and rest for 5 minutes doing core work, then sprint it again... continue doing that and eventually your time will get better as you will be able to pace yourself.

Comment

You know your body, your capabilities, and what will keep you motivated. Any of these workouts or advice people have given you will work, but you need to find the one that works for you and you can be CONSISTENT with. I cannot stress the most important thing is consistency. You must be consistent with your diet first and foremost, then your workouts. If you're not used to this kind of stuff start slow and work your way into it. Do not overload yourself because your mind and body will not be used to it. As for your ashtma if you haven't talked to your doctor yet you really need to. I have ashtma and was prescribed singulair with an inhaler to use before I run and it's night and day for me now. I have cut at least 4.5 minutes from my 1.5 mile time in a couple months by watching my diet, being consistent on my runs, listening to my body and not hurting myself. If your breathing is hindering you and your shins hurt too much alternate biking, swimming or even jump roping to get your breathing to improve. What keeps me motivated was a picture I saw and it showed a prisoner working out and talked about how you're not putting in the work they are everyday and those are the people you will have to face and possibly fight for your life against. The last thing I want is to not make it home because I couldn't put the time in at the gym. Also, there's a guy named David Higgins that you can look into, but I watched a interview he did and something he said I use to motivate myself daily and that was, "Greatness comes from doing the things you don't want to do." When you're working out and the last thing you want to do is take another step or another rep just remind yourself that one extra step or rep is what will make you greater and that much closer to reaching your goals.

Comment

hey guys i wanted to come back for a update. I decided to wait till next go round to apply so i still have about 7 months. I have improved greatly and i would like to thank everyone for the motivation you guys have given me. I have lost about 15 pounds and i am now 195 and monday i ran 6 miles straight which is a huge step for me. its also a very slow run but its better than what i have been doing in the past. There are two things i need to work on although, one being my speed and the other is that when i run really well like i did monday i cant perform to those standards the rest of the week. Did you you guys ever have that problem? the next day i can not even do have of what i did the previous day so i can run for a while the first day of the week but after that im useless

Comment

Not sure if this is going to help since you already made your mind up about waiting. The time I learned most about myself and how far I can actually push my body was during Special Forces Assessment and Selction (SFAS) in the Army, I am 5,9” and also 195lbs. Unfortunately I was a non sect but I did learn a lot about myself. We were told by one of the Cadre during our long ruck marches and runs that all we had left was one more step. If we could only take one more step we would be good. So a lot of us did, we kept taking one more step, and one more step after that until we finish.

Amd if what is getting you is not being able to recover fast enough, try doing a shorter run until you build yourself up to that level where it can be sustained. Do a few sprints, lighter runs, slower and farther runs, and just let your body adjust to being under physical stress and eventually your cardiovascular activity while be considered normal by your body and it will be able to recover faster.

Comment

• Elvisjr
                    Elvisjr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    when i fell that im not having a good run i usually cut it short but i try my best to push through the pain. Especially since i run from my home to my local park so i try to at least make it back without a break

Hello Elvisjr,

Stay motivated and be hopeful! I am a new member and just saw your post. I am working on my running as well as I am a slow runner. Are you talking about having failed the physical agility test? I am planning on getting into the academy in September of next year since I am still going to school. Have you tried Leg and Shin Splint Compression sleeves? They provide circulatory benefits to help protect and ease discomfort from shin splints.

Comment

• Elvisjr
                    Elvisjr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    i failed the agility test and yeah i just orders some shin compression they come monday hopefully they help me out with easing the pain while running

A 19 year old has no business behind a badge. I suggest you spend the next two years training and doing something productive with your life. If the department is really hiring at that age, do yourself a huge favor and wait anyway.

Comment

• Elvisjr
                    Elvisjr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    well by the the time i am able to take the test again i will be 20.

• DepTroop
                    DepTroop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'd say as long as you are 21 by your first day OTJ you would be good. Of course, I have no influence over what your state allows per law; I am only saying that you would and others be better off not being a cop at 19.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7549 users online. 394 members and 7155 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X