300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical fitness test failed

Yesterday was the best/worst day of my life it was an eye opener to me. Reality check kinda i failed my pft i passed the pushups, situps, but failed the 1.5 mile. Not only have i failed that i failed my parents, myself,and everyone around me. I have had problems with running since day one some days my legs feel great but my breath runs out (probably due to my ashtma)and other days my legs feel like there gonna break(shin splints) this is my dream to be a cop and i know there's probably a topic about this already but i just needed to vent about it.. i knew i was gonna fail again today the second day but i wanted to give it all i had yesterday i ran 19min today a 23min 1.5 mile i have two months to apply again so i will be training hard as ever any suggestions? I wont be taking my failure lightly i will learn from it and eventually overcome it. Thank you guys. Today my legs hurt so bad i couldnt stand it there were people triple my size that did it im only 19 i weight about 210lbs 5'9 or 10 i dont know
    Last edited by Elvisjr; 10-26-2017, 03:27 AM.

Continue training
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Continue training, keep a rescue inhaler around
      Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
      "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
      Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

What department is this for? I'm surprised a department hires 19 year olds.

also what are the minimum standards for this department?

I do fitness religiously so I can definitely PM you and offer tips on how to improve your run time.

Comment

• Elvisjr
          Elvisjr commented
          Editing a comment
          yes i could really use some tips.

Well being 210lbs and being 5'9" probably isnt helping either....You are definitely on the heavier side, muscular or not, that makes running at a faster pace even harder. When it comes to running you NEED to be consistent. To improve endurance: run 3-5 miles 2-3x a week at a comfortable pace (pace slow enough that you can keep a conversation). And 1-2x a week run 1/4mile and 1/2mile intervals. Do 6-8 1/4mile intervals and 2-3 1/2mile intervals. Take about 2minutes of rest in between each interval. You should be running the intervals at a pace fast enough where you CANT keep a conversation while running (dont sprint though). The above advice was given to me a few years ago when I was having trouble with my Army PT test run. Havent failed since.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvisjr View Post
          Not only have i failed that i failed my parents, myself,and everyone around me.
          You failed to prepare. You can remedy this (especially at your age) and be ready on the next go-round.
          I have had problems with running since day one some days my legs feel great but my breath runs out (probably due to my ashtma)and other days my legs feel like there gonna break(chin splints)
          You have identified your weaknesses and now is the time to start working to overcome them. Research shin-splints and how to prevent them, and as J2H said, keep that inhaler handy.
          i have two months to apply again so i will be training hard as ever any suggestions?
          Don't train TO THE STANDARD for the events you are performing, train above those standards. Considering your age, you have time on your side so don't rush it; consult a nutritionist, as some of the symptoms you describe can be diet related (vitamin deficiencies) and consider a personal trainer. The people on this forum mean well and some are well-qualified, but nothing works like hands-on. Good luck with your hiring process and I hope that you maintain your resolve to follow your dream.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

• Elvisjr
            Elvisjr commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you so.much for your time i will not train to the standards my goal is to get a 1.5 mile in 9-12 minutes the only thing i am not sure on is my rest days and should i even take them i was thinking i should rest just weekends and one day out of the week

Always take your rest days; the human body needs intervals of rest.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Yesterday was the best/worst day of my life it was an eye opener to me. Reality check kinda i failed my pft i passed the pushups, situps, but failed the 1.5 mile. Not only have i failed that i failed my parents, myself,and everyone around me. I have had problems with running since day one some days my legs feel great but my breath runs out (probably due to my ashtma)and other days my legs feel like there gonna break(chin splints) this is my dream to be a cop and i know there's probably a topic about this already but i just needed to vent about it.. i knew i was gonna fail again today the second day but i wanted to give it all i had yesterday i ran 19min today a 23min 1.5 mile i have two months to apply again so i will be training hard as ever any suggestions? I wont be taking my failure lightly i will learn from it and eventually overcome it. Thank you guys. Today my legs hurt so bad i couldnt stand it there were people triple my size that did it im only 19 i weight about 210lbs 5'9 or 10 i dont know
            Check out the "airborne shuffle." I'm sure there are plenty of videos out there on it. Basically, when I run, I set my pace immediately upon taking off. As soon as I have established my pace, I set my breathing to what I am comfortable with. For me, I take two breaths in as I take two steps (one in on each step) and two out on each step. I repeat that pattern no matter how fast or slow I am going. Your body needs consistency and NOT WALKING and maintaining a proper breathing technique will help you run all day long.

Comment

• Elvisjr
              Elvisjr commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been using the three in three out method since i feel short of breath but imma try the two like you said. Im going to push it all out though after my two in

I sure as hell don't PT anymore, due to my back and asthma, but I try to stay in shape in my own ways, but having that inhaler is a must. Talk to your doc about an appropriate workout plan so you don't overdo it.
            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman

Comment

So unless you have an inhaler, you can't run. How is THAT going to work in a fight situation, OP? Active Shooter? Etc...
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Elvisjr
                Elvisjr commented
                Editing a comment
                Ive been running before without any inhaler for a while im just now starting to use one. I am just trying to increase my endurance

• J2H
                J2H commented
                Editing a comment
                I keep a rescue inhaler in my patrol bag. I can run without it, but I will most likely need it afterwards.

Here: https://www.phoenix.gov/policesite/D...tnessGuide.pdf

While that is specifically for Phoenix PD... the planning inside it will help you set a running regime to better your cardio for a 1.5 mile.. Also know that you didn't *fail* anything, you just had a come to Jesus moment to understand where your coming up short in things. I was there 9/2015 when I clocked in at 268 pounds, meet the 1 min Situps and Pushup requirements but my 1.5 run w/ walks was about 22:30ish ... I committed to running, a better diet that supported my running, overhauled my water intake (basically all I drank), limited my salt intake unless I was using it to help keep water retained for my summer runs. my fastest 1.5 now is 13:20, fastest 5k is 31:19.. You can do this and you need to believe in yourself.

As others have said also go above just training a 1.5 mile run, that is just the test to get you in.. Once you hit the academy you are going to most likely start out at 3 miles + in formation running and only build upon that.

Comment

Keep in mind the physical fitness standards of a department test like this are the MINIMUM to reassure the department you won't have a heart attack on the first day of academy. Ideally you should pass with ease. They are not sufficient to sustain you during your career.

Don't train for the test, train to be fit and the test will take care of itself.

Don't necessarily go for the very next test you can take. It sounds to me like you need to increase your overall level of fitness to be successful. You aren't training to get IN the academy, you aren't training to PASS the academy... you are training to fight a guy five years from now.

That said, the more fit you are in the academy the less distraction exhaustion will be and the less the physical aspects will detract from your skills performance and academic performance. You also will risk less injury, which can put you out the door.

In my experience people without a habit of maintaining their fitness often need outside motivation and programming to succeed, at least initially.

My advice to people in your situation is to find a Crossfit box with a 1 month "on ramp" program and a "Hot" or Bikram Yoga studio.

Alternate Crossfit with Hot Yoga six days per week, with one day of complete rest. Do that for six months. Do it religiously.

You will be sore, you will be tired. You may throw up the first few sessions of the yoga. I've seen people pass out. Do not miss a day, do not quit.

You will be prepared for any academy, and well on your way to maintaining your fitness throughout your career.
                Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-08-2017, 12:12 AM.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Don't give up!!
                  You got this!!
                  Last edited by canes3714; 07-17-2017, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chip4 View Post
                    What department is this for? I'm surprised a department hires 19 year olds.

also what are the minimum standards for this department?

I do fitness religiously so I can definitely PM you and offer tips on how to improve your run time.
                    Would love to hear some of those tips chip. Tried to PM you, but wouldn't go through. Passed the agility test required to even be considered for hire and I have an interview tomorrow. I know once hired the physical will only get tougher and I want to continue and improve. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

Comment

I'm taking my PAT on the 7th for my local sheriff dept
                      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9614 users online. 311 members and 9303 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X