300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical training recommendations

Do any of y'all have a preferred training routine, perhaps a weekly plan to break-up what may seem monotonous?
    Something that incorporates heavy cardio, push-ups/sit-ups AND regular weight lifting exercises??
    I would like to adjust it so that I'm not working against gains I am making, to build the most muscle ect

Feedback would be greatly appreciate.
    Thank you kindly!
    Last edited by TexasGunmetal; 06-06-2017, 02:48 AM.

For running I would run between 3-4 miles 2-3x a week at a nice comfortable pace. And 1-2x a week I would do 1/4mile intervals. The intervals should be done running at a pace that is moderately hard (not a sprint) that has you not able to keep a conversation. Do about 6-8 of them in one session with 1-2min of rest in between.

For pushups and situps just do several sets of AMRAP of pushups and situps. Pretty simple. Keep them slow and controlled that way your maximizing the effectiveness of them.

Muscle building is a bit more complex. Id keep your calories at maintenance or a bit above. Keep muscle building type exercises slow and controlled as well. If your form sucks, lower the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by shortyj View Post
      For running I would run between 3-4 miles 2-3x a week at a nice comfortable pace. And 1-2x a week I would do 1/4mile intervals. The intervals should be done running at a pace that is moderately hard (not a sprint) that has you not able to keep a conversation. Do about 6-8 of them in one session with 1-2min of rest in between.

For pushups and situps just do several sets of AMRAP of pushups and situps. Pretty simple. Keep them slow and controlled that way your maximizing the effectiveness of them.

Muscle building is a bit more complex. Id keep your calories at maintenance or a bit above. Keep muscle building type exercises slow and controlled as well. If your form sucks, lower the weight.
      Shortyj - What would you consider a comfortable pace for running, 6 mph, 6.5?

Comment

From a weightlifting standpoint if you are trying for overall build ect. Bench / Squat / Lat Pulldown / Military Press - while these may seem to get old you can do different variations of them. There is a great book out called Strength Training anatomy - gives some great insight on different exercises. There is a whole host of different ways to do cardio and weightlifting together , Do a circuit rotation on the weights for 1 round , followed by a run , repeat. That is a cardio program that will have you dead if you push yourself right. Add your Pushups and Situps as the last exercise before you hit your run.
        Putting on size ect. is a different training style. Diet and Rest are going to be the most important in the equation.

Keep good quality calories high if your not worried about losing weight. By saying that , good quality proteins , quality carbs and yes even quality fats.

Comment

Originally posted by LexZuil View Post

Shortyj - What would you consider a comfortable pace for running, 6 mph, 6.5?
          A comfortable pace varies by person. Whatever pace has you feeling like you can still keep a conversation while running. Slow enough that you can run more than a mile easily. A light jog I would say.

Comment

Originally posted by shortyj View Post

A comfortable pace varies by person. Whatever pace has you feeling like you can still keep a conversation while running. Slow enough that you can run more than a mile easily. A light jog I would say.
            Thank you for the clarification.

Comment

Every 3/4's of a mile stop and put yourself down in a "front leaning rest" position for 20 seconds, then do 20 pushups, then 20 burpees, then 20 situps for the first set. Reduce this by 5 exercises every 3/4's (so at a mile and a half, you only do 15 of each.) This is something we did in the academy I'm in a few times. If you are preparing to go into an academy, running will most likely be the biggest focus.
              Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

We use a form of Cross Fit for our academy and recommend it for anyone looking to get in overall physical shape for our academy.
                Police Academy Commander
                Lead Firearms Instructor
                35+ years as a cop
                Becoming a Police Officer
                So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

Cross fit for sure. Do the work out of the day (WOD)
                  I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11609 users online. 469 members and 11140 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X