Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know if your in academy shape ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know if your in academy shape ?

Hello all, how are you? I've been training for a while hoping sometime soon I can get hired and make it to the academy. But I was wondering how do you k ow if your in good enough shape what's a good measurement? I've past my PT pretty easily and I've been running more distance lately but going to incorporate some sprinting workouts a couple times a week. How many miles should you be able to run and at what pace to be considered in good academy shape yesterday I ran 3 miles at a 9:13 pace. And my 1.5 mile
    Time is 11:40 ( im a big guy I'm tall and have very broad shoulders and a few pounds to lose I'm trying to lose as much weight as I can) what are good staples/ identifiers that's your in academy shape ?

Thanks
    Brian

If you can do the basics, you can push yourself to do better than minimum.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Agreed and I can push my self that's not a problem and as far as the basics I have already passed my PT pretty easily. But I don't want to just train for the minimum, if I get hired and get to go to an academy I want to be far more prepared than the minimum standards. However due to the fact I've never been threw an academy, I don't really know what to expect. it's hard to tell were I stand. Obviously no matter how great of shape you can be in your still gonna get smoked at one point or another but how bad is determined by how much I prepare prior.

Comment

Your run times sound reasonable. My academy had a PT exit standard that we knew from day one. For me that was all that mattered. My goal was always to be right in the middle of the pack during any PT. Once you get out, nobody gives a sh*t how much of a PT stud you were or weren't. That said, the better shape you're in, the easier the academy will be and the better equipped you'll be to be a cop.

Comment

Originally posted by B16bri View Post
          Agreed and I can push my self that's not a problem and as far as the basics I have already passed my PT pretty easily. But I don't want to just train for the minimum, if I get hired and get to go to an academy I want to be far more prepared than the minimum standards. However due to the fact I've never been threw an academy, I don't really know what to expect. it's hard to tell were I stand. Obviously no matter how great of shape you can be in your still gonna get smoked at one point or another but how bad is determined by how much I prepare prior.
          You are over thinking this.

If you have passed the required PT test....................you are prepared for STARTING the academy. You will probably be judged more on your ADVANCEMENT in PT than on exactly how "tough" you are when you start.

Quite honestly ---------------nobody cares if you can "smoke" anyone or everyone your first day. An academy is about what you learn during the course (including the PT program). Once again even at graduation ------nobody really cares about your PT score unless there is a PT honor. (My academy had a 300 club for passing the PT portion at the 100% level.------------probably 1/3 of the cadets make it to that level---so it is really no big deal)

Train to where YOU want to be
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The better shape you're in, the better off you'll be.

The point of the academy is to PASS and get that piece of paper.

If you're struggling with PT you may not pass on that alone, plus it may impact your ability to perform in other areas... if you're gassed from PT your defensive tactics performance probably won't be all it could be, and your academic performance may suffer as well.

Lastly, if you're barely there, you may become injured more easily than someone who is able to easily meet the standards... and that will get you dropped, too.

So, the answer is: Be in the best shape you can possibly be. Ideally be able to meet the entrance, and EXIT standards (if they exist) easily on the first day. Few academies have fitness standards that are really that strenuous. Most of them just want to make sure you won't have a heart attack on the first day.

When you're IN the academy perform adequately and pull your weight in class physically... but don't risk injury. Your goal is to GRADUATE.

It's best if you see fitness as a way of life, because fitness is vital to performance and survival on the job. Don't get fit for the academy... simply BE fit, and attend the academy... and become a cop, and have a career... and be fit.

My fitness program, before I got my foot in a cast, was Crossfit 3x/wk and Bikram yoga 3x/wk with one rest day. If you can do that, or something like it, for a year you'll be fine in any police PT program in the country... and if you make that program a way of life you'll never ever have to worry about fitness. Just take an hour out of your day and make it your lifestye. Problem solved.

I don't want to just train for the minimum
            So don't. You meet it already, great.

Run farther. Run faster. Lift more weight, do more reps, do more sets.

Never stop improving... ever, for your entire life.

Don't worry about what the standard is... do better today than you did yesterday. That's all that matters.
            Last edited by tanksoldier; 03-09-2016, 11:16 AM.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Sounds good.
              Work on your core as well. It will make you overall stronger and also importantly, protect you from potential injury when doing other physical stuff at the academy, and later on the street.
              SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
              SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

And in case anyone asks, round is a shape.
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                that we are all that stands between
                the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

If you have to ask this question, you aren't.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by B16bri View Post
                    Hello all, how are you? I've been training for a while hoping sometime soon I can get hired and make it to the academy. But I was wondering how do you k ow if your in good enough shape what's a good measurement? I've past my PT pretty easily and I've been running more distance lately but going to incorporate some sprinting workouts a couple times a week. How many miles should you be able to run and at what pace to be considered in good academy shape yesterday I ran 3 miles at a 9:13 pace. And my 1.5 mile
                    Time is 11:40 ( im a big guy I'm tall and have very broad shoulders and a few pounds to lose I'm trying to lose as much weight as I can) what are good staples/ identifiers that's your in academy shape ?

Thanks
                    Brian
                    Physical fitness should be your obsession. If you barely pass the academy where will you be in 5 years. Drop the weight. Cut back on sugar,salt,bread and pasta. I learned to stretch and strength train twice a week and do calisthenics 3 days. I run on calisthenics day. Running should be forced one day and shuffle the other two days. I have a program I followed for 30 years and still do. PM me and I'll send you this info.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                      Truth. Getting a cheap food scale and paying attention to your macros does wonders for your weight, energy, and muscle mass. Guys have a hard time realizing that nutrition trumps exercise in the health department.

But what do I know? I have a BMI of 31.7 and am therefore "Obese".
                      Workouts are easy the food choices are hard. If you stick to whole foods like chicken, brown rice, lean beef, veggies and even baked potatoes you will change your body composition. Im at 15% body fat and that is my comfort zone. Ive been down to 11% for competitions but feel like ****.

Stick to whole foods cut sugar salt bread and pasta and get your heart rate up for at least 45 minutes a day.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7829 users online. 246 members and 7583 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X