Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Physical Ability Test

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Physical Ability Test

    Howdy all,

    I currently have a conditional offer from a Denver-area law enforcement agency. As a woman, I am wondering the best way to drag a 150 lb dummy along the floor for approximately 10 feet. It's one of those dummies with the handles on its back. I have no problem flopping it onto the floor, but I'm wondering technique-wise what the best way is to drag a dummy with a decent rate of speed across a concrete floor.

    Thanks for any tips, folks.

  • #2
    Figure it out...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      Figure it out...
      Unhelpful.

      Comment


      • #4
        Get your arms in the dummys armpits and support the weight. If you can, wrap your arms all the way around and lock your hands together. The downside is you will support the entire weight. The upside is less drag from the ground.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by breakfastmeat View Post
          Howdy all,

          I currently have a conditional offer from a Denver-area law enforcement agency. As a woman, I am wondering the best way to drag a 150 lb dummy along the floor for approximately 10 feet. It's one of those dummies with the handles on its back. I have no problem flopping it onto the floor, but I'm wondering technique-wise what the best way is to drag a dummy with a decent rate of speed across a concrete floor.

          Thanks for any tips, folks.
          Grab the handles from behind while holding the dummy against your chest and push hard with your legs.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tj05 View Post
            Grab the handles from behind while holding the dummy against your chest and push hard with your legs.
            In our case, we actually don't have to lift it to chest-level. It's sufficient just to lift it enough to drag it along. I am wondering about the grip on the handles. I did see a candidate actually lift under the arms and drag it that way.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by badbordr View Post
              Get your arms in the dummys armpits and support the weight. If you can, wrap your arms all the way around and lock your hands together. The downside is you will support the entire weight. The upside is less drag from the ground.
              As it's unnecessary to lift the weight of the whole dummy high, I'm trying to think of the most efficient way to drag it without expending a ton of energy since the dummy drag comes after a sprint and stair climb.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by breakfastmeat View Post
                In our case, we actually don't have to lift it to chest-level. It's sufficient just to lift it enough to drag it along. I am wondering about the grip on the handles. I did see a candidate actually lift under the arms and drag it that way.
                Originally posted by breakfastmeat View Post
                As it's unnecessary to lift the weight of the whole dummy high, I'm trying to think of the most efficient way to drag it without expending a ton of energy since the dummy drag comes after a sprint and stair climb.
                If you don't want to listen to their advice ------------------why ask

                They are explaining to you that it is EASIER to do it that way..........rather than bending down as you drag
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                Comment


                • #9
                  10 WHOLE feet?!?!?

                  Keep in mind that the dummy could be your partner who just got shot in the face and you need to drag them to safety. Figure it out.
                  Originally posted by RSGSRT
                  We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                  Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                    10 WHOLE feet?!?!?

                    Keep in mind that the dummy could be your partner who just got shot in the face and you need to drag them to safety. Figure it out.
                    Highly unlikely. This is for corrections.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Corrections officers have been assaulted or injured and will need extraction from the danger zone....

                      DANGER ZONE!!!!!! (props for using that in a post!)
                      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

                      I Am the Sheepdog.


                      "And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                      that we are all that stands between
                      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks


                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The best way to do it, is to try and build upper body strength and lower body strength at the gym. Or simulate this the best way you can at the gym or home. get a sled, throw a bunch of weight into it and go. Make sure you simulate the whole test, so you're feeling the exhaustion from the steps prior.
                        MDRDEP:

                        There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My experience with dummy drags is a whole sample size of two, but a lot depends on how the dummy is constructed. I had one that was mostly wooden blocks that were padded and stuffed inside an actual uniform. This was only about 150 pounds, and it was really easy. The other one was mostly sandbags bolted together, and there was no clothing or uniform at all. This was 180 pounds and was a lot harder, because the rough canvas and bolts made it really uncomfortable to drag.

                          The way I found that worked the best was to pick up the dummy by shooting my arms through the dummy's armpits from behind, then crooking my elbows and locking my hands together in what you may know as a 'thumbless grip' if you know anything about wrestling or jiu jitsu-based martial arts. Then I would kind of lean back in a squat position, using the dummy weight to partially counterbalance myself. So then I'm sitting there in a squat, slightly off-balance to my rear. I used that balance to shuffle backwards very rapidly.

                          Worked well enough. I forget what TV show I learned this from, but the advice was to not dismember corpses, because armpits are useful for dragging bodies...
                          Originally posted by Michigan
                          Now that you mention it, who are you?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            From a military standpoint the handle on the back of flack jackets are there so two people can grab at once and pull you to safety, not the most effective way of dragging by yourself. Like others said, lift the dummy enough that you can squat down, chest to dummy back, arms under dummy arm pits, lift with your legs, walk backwards.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by breakfastmeat View Post
                              Highly unlikely. This is for corrections.
                              You obviously know nothing about Corrections
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 8782 users online. 319 members and 8463 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X