300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vet vs was in the military

Ok I've read several of the comments/questions regarding having a DD214 prior military etc, but I'm still confused on the best way to approach this. All of the depts I'm applying to ask some form of the question, were you were ever in the military or are you a veteran. Here's the back ground and why this is confusing for me. In July of '93 I went into the Navy. I ended up with an uncharacterized entry level separation listed as erroneous enlistment with an RE3 code. They took a chance on me because I already had a degree in Electrical Engineering. They waivered my knee surgeries at MEPS but I ended up having more issues with my knees. I was in less than 3 weeks. I have a DD214 but I don't fit the legal definition of a Veteran. My question is is it OK to answer the question differently depending on how it's worded. On one application it asks if I am a veteran, and another it simply asks if you were in the military. Legally I am not a vet. Is it best to say yes because I have a DD214, or say that no I'm not and explain later if they question it. I think it would look bad to say no but then turn around and list the time on past employment history and turn in a DD214. Obviously if they ask if I was in the military that's an affirmative and life goes on.
    "There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". Stephen Decatur Miller

"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation." -Mein Kampf, Adolf Hitler
    Sound familiar.........

You are NOT a Veteran. You were NOT in the military. You were separated from basic due to medical issues. THATS what you tell them. It's reflected in your 214.
    Last edited by CCCSD; 02-18-2016, 03:42 PM.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

That's fair enough. I've never claimed to be a Vet, just somebody with a DD214. Appreciate the response.
      "There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". Stephen Decatur Miller

"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation." -Mein Kampf, Adolf Hitler
      Sound familiar.........

Comment

Entry level separation doesn't qualify.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Good deal, thank you both. On a side note tanksoldier. You any where near Ft. Cartoon anymore? I spent a long time in Pueblo and then many Years in Greeley and still have family scattered all along the front range.

Sound familiar.........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6399 users online. 257 members and 6142 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X