300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy shoes

I'm in the hiring process with my state troopers and I am about a month from the academy start date. For the first several weeks we are required to wear business attire before they issue our academy uniforms. They are requesting that we have dress shoes that are NOT patent leather and can be shined to a high gloss.

I was hoping I could get some feedback from anyone in a similar situation and see what shoes people have had success with.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Originally posted by crosby87 View Post
    I'm in the hiring process with my state troopers and I am about a month from the academy start date. For the first several weeks we are required to wear business attire before they issue our academy uniforms. They are requesting that we have dress shoes that are NOT patent leather and can be shined to a high gloss.

I was hoping I could get some feedback from anyone in a similar situation and see what shoes people have had success with.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    My police academy was the same way except we had a 2 week orientation period before we started wearing our uniforms where were basically focusing on shining our boots to get ready for the start of training. I had 30+ people in my academy with different types of black police boots from Bates, Danner, 5.11, etc etc. I can tell you this - I had 5.11 and Bates but the 5.11 (ATAC's) shined the best, by far. Other guys who also had the 5.11 ATACS seemed to have the best shine as well.

What you need -
    1) Rubbing alcohol
    2) Cotton balls
    3) Lighter
    4) Regular "Kiwi" shoe polish (dont get the "Hi-Gloss" - it fades) Regular KIWI will give you a real hi-gloss
    5) Cotton shirts
    6) Boot brush (help up the shine in betwen shining and clean off any debris)
    7) Spray bottle of water

When you get your boots, strip them to a base with the rubbing alcohol and cotton balls. You need to get rid of that waterproofing crap that comes on new boots - it works against a good spit shine. You know its gone when the boots are dry and you dont see any artificial shine anymore.

Now, put on your base coat of shoe shine (via your cotton shirt) on both boots followed by a fire shine. Dont let the lighter stay over any section of leather too long or you'll ruin the leather and you're screwed. You're essentially trying to melt the first coat of shine into the leather. Let the first coat dry completely (give it like 20 min). Now you can begin rubbing in little amounts of polish (on cotton rag/shirt) and water to start building the shine.

I recommend you watch a video of your choice on youtube - some people on there (usually military guys) have a real good example of how to do this. Once you have it down pat, you can put a fresh shine on your boots in under 5 minutes per day. Its an art you have to improve on and learn before you get talented at it. I struggled the first two weeks of the academy and my former Marine Corps lead instructor gave me hell for it for days before I finally got it down pat. By the end of the academy, I had the best boots in the class. I still keep them in the closet for in-house boards, court, ceremonies, etc etc and throw on a fresh shine before each special occasion. They look like mirrors, I can pick my nose and look at my boogers in them

After the academy - Danner Acadia boots are by far the best for patrol purposes if you can afford them. Thats what I wear daily and keep a light shine on them for professional purposes but they arent high-shine mirrors like my ATACS

Good luck.
    Last edited by Green-2-Blue; 02-15-2016, 02:00 AM.
    "There's no such thing as a bad beer.....its only less awesome beer...."

"Liberalism is a mental disorder" - Michael Savage

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6570 users online. 285 members and 6285 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X