Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half-blind police officer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Half-blind police officer?

    Hey, guys. My name is Brandon. I am currently in high school and interested in a career in law enforcement (specifically as a Special Weapons and Tactics officer). There's only one problem: I am blind (or at least somewhat visually impaired) in my left eye. My vision is 20/400 but I have several good qualities to be a police officer. For example, I am physically and mentally tough, I have a deep and thorough knowledge in law enforcement, and know a wide variety of law enforcement jargon. Do you guys think that, even if I'm lucky, I'll be able to become a police officer?

  • #2
    Originally posted by UrbanWarrior View Post
    Hey, guys. My name is Brandon. I am currently in high school and interested in a career in law enforcement (specifically as a Special Weapons and Tactics officer). There's only one problem: I am blind (or at least somewhat visually impaired) in my left eye. My vision is 20/400 but I have several good qualities to be a police officer. For example, I am physically and mentally tough, I have a deep and thorough knowledge in law enforcement, and know a wide variety of law enforcement jargon. Do you guys think that, even if I'm lucky, I'll be able to become a police officer?
    You would most likely not meet the eyesight guidelines in most states

    It wouldn't matter if you had been awarded the Medal of Honor------------if you don't meet the standards you can't be licensed

    For example here is the standard for Iowa.............this is per the Iowa LAW

    501.2.1(9) Has an uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in both eyes, corrected to 20/20. Has colorvision consistent with the occupational demands of law enforcement. Passing any of the following colorvision testsindicatesthat the applicant has color vision abilities consistent with the occupational demandsof law enforcement:Pseudoisochromatic plates tests such as but not limited to: Tokyo Medical College, Ishihara,Standard Pseudoisochromatic Plates, Dvorine, American Optical HRR Plates, American Optical.Panel tests such as:Farnsworth Dichotomous D-15 Test or any other test designed and documented to identify extremeanomalous trichromatic, dichromatic or monochromatic color vision.Individuals with extreme anomalous trichromatism or monochromasy color vision, as determinedthrough testing, are not eligible to be hired as law enforcement officers in the state of Iowa

    There is no such thing as a "waiver"
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Brandon,

      Take a look at this http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Vision.pdf

      It discusses vision needs in law enforcement in great depth. Your issue is discussed at the end of the report.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

      Comment


      • #4
        You can dispatch. An equally noble and demanding profession.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by UrbanWarrior View Post
          Hey, guys. My name is Brandon. I am currently in high school and interested in a career in law enforcement (specifically as a Special Weapons and Tactics officer). There's only one problem: I am blind (or at least somewhat visually impaired) in my left eye. My vision is 20/400 but I have several good qualities to be a police officer. For example, I am physically and mentally tough, I have a deep and thorough knowledge in law enforcement, and know a wide variety of law enforcement jargon. Do you guys think that, even if I'm lucky, I'll be able to become a police officer?
          I lol'd just a bit. But that's ok, I did the same thing

          Anyways....

          http://forums.officer.com/t167702/
          REINSTATE THE TRIG
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
          Your logic defies logic
          Originally posted by Rudy8116
          Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
          Originally posted by Michigan
          Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
          Originally posted by TheTick
          A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
          Originally posted by TheTick
          This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
          Originally posted by 02paul09
          Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

          Comment


          • #6
            Umm.... How do you know you are mentally and physically tough? What is a deep and thorough knowledge of law enforcement? What is police jargon?

            Comment


            • #7
              Next post will accuse us of being mean.

              OP, go with what you can,not what you cannot.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
                Umm.... How do you know you are mentally and physically tough? What is a deep and thorough knowledge of law enforcement? What is police jargon?

                It's someone messing with us.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by UrbanWarrior View Post
                  Hey, guys. My name is Brandon. I am currently in high school and interested in a career in law enforcement (specifically as a Special Weapons and Tactics officer). There's only one problem: I am blind (or at least somewhat visually impaired) in my left eye. My vision is 20/400 but I have several good qualities to be a police officer. For example, I am physically and mentally tough, I have a deep and thorough knowledge in law enforcement, and know a wide variety of law enforcement jargon. Do you guys think that, even if I'm lucky, I'll be able to become a police officer?


                  Brandon, your problem is medical in nature, and basically involves meeting/not meeting an established standard. The Police Officer Standards and Training Agency in each state sets the Minimum Standards for physical fitness, which includes vision. While an individual agency can elect to exceed the minimum standard(s), they cannot waive or lower them.

                  If your vision does not conform to the minimum standards prescribed by the state/agency, no other qualities are going to make up for that. Read once more my colleague's comments concerning the Medal of Honor. It's the simple truth. Good luck .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Fullerton Ca, hired a medically retired LAPD officer that had been shot in the eye and lost his sight. The officer was later involved in a highly publicized incident where Fullerton officers were involved in a use of force incident where the homeless man died of his injuries..All the officers were tried but found not guilty in court but all were later fired....

                    Personally I don't know how or why the officers was hired considering he was already medically retired and only had one eye..
                    Retired LASD

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My Agency employed a totally blind Officer for many years. He lost his sight in the course of his duties, but was allowed to remain on active duty with the Agency. His duties were strictly administrative in nature, as he served as the Department's Personnel Officer.

                      Please understand that this was not/is not typical. The key factor was that the Officer was injured while on duty with the state. Once more, this was an extremely rare event, and in 99.9% of the cases, the Officer would have been medically retired.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                        My Agency employed a totally blind Officer for many years. He lost his sight in the course of his duties, but was allowed to remain on active duty with the Agency. His duties were strictly administrative in nature, as he served as the Department's Personnel Officer.

                        Please understand that this was not/is not typical. The key factor was that the Officer was injured while on duty with the state. Once more, this was an extremely rare event, and in 99.9% of the cases, the Officer would have been medically retired.
                        Iowa has one Deputy Sheriff who is paralyzed from the waist down. He was shot by a perp (while off duty taking police action). The agency decided to place him on administrative duties and let him keep his cert active.

                        It happens-----------------but once again he was a fully certified peace officer PRIOR to his injury
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
                          Fullerton Ca, hired a medically retired LAPD officer that had been shot in the eye and lost his sight. The officer was later involved in a highly publicized incident where Fullerton officers were involved in a use of force incident where the homeless man died of his injuries..All the officers were tried but found not guilty in court but all were later fired....

                          Personally I don't know how or why the officers was hired considering he was already medically retired and only had one eye..
                          Or why you would want to be a cop again, after being shot in the eye and then retired? Seems more a psych problem than medical....

                          Did the guy at least get to keep his medical retirement?
                          I make my living on Irish welfare.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm sure he probably got to keep his medical retirement from LAPD...
                            Retired LASD

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm going to take a slightly different tack from my colleagues.

                              I was medically retired from the US Army due to a LOD injury in 2006. I'm rated as 70% disabled by the VA.

                              I have a spine fusion, am a Type I diabetic and have several lesser disabilities as well... hearing loss, etc.

                              I was able to become a peace officer in Colorado, have graduated from an academy and currently work as a sheriff's deputy.

                              Most people would have said it's impossible for me to become a peace officer... so I'm not going to say it's impossible for you.

                              It WILL be very, very difficult. You will have to find the right set of circumstances that will allow you to succeed. Someplace where your issues aren't an automatic medical DQ to start.

                              You will have to show you can adequately perform on the job. One of the reasons I paid for my own academy was to prove to agencies that I could meet the physical demands. My academy wasn't the toughest in the state but it wasn't a walk in the park either... but I made it.

                              If you really want to do this do your research, find a jurisdiction where your condition isn't an automatic DQ, find an academy you can attend... and be prepared to hear "NO" a lot.
                              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

                              "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 9102 users online. 287 members and 8815 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X