Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips, suggestions, and getting hired at the Academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips, suggestions, and getting hired at the Academy?

Hey guys I'm new to the forums. I have my orientation for the academy next week and I start February 1st! Pretty excited honesty. Looking for any tips to help prepare me for the 9 weeks of it. I have been doing steady cardio and already physically fit in the strength department. Other than that I'm just not wanting to get demotivated or anything, so anything that helped you guys out when you went in, please let me know. Also I have a friend who got hired straight out of the academy or when he was in. I have heard of it happening to several people. Do a lot of academies do this? I'm not expecting it but I'm also not sure how it would work either. The only thing that is discouraging to me is that I know a lot of guys there will be there sent by their department where they got hired at. I'm degree seeking and when I'm done will have my associates and my P.O.S.T. certification here in Tn. Anyways thanks for anyone who replies!

P.S.- For anyone who has been to the Regional Law Enforcement Academy in Tn, I made a similar thread in the Tn section of the forums for anyone that might be going or know specifics.

Nine weeks sounds very short to me. My advice is to focus on the academy while you are there, not a job. If you are known as the well-liked, squared-away recruit that doesn't cause trouble, your name will likely be remembered favorably, and when agencies call the academy about you, they can tell them they recommend you for hire. If you do happen to get any interviews/recruitment visits while you're still in attendance, make sure you wear a suit, shine your shoes, and have a fresh haircut (which you should already have when you start the academy anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by DepTroop View Post
      Nine weeks sounds very short to me. My advice is to focus on the academy while you are there, not a job. If you are known as the well-liked, squared-away recruit that doesn't cause trouble, your name will likely be remembered favorably, and when agencies call the academy about you, they can tell them they recommend you for hire. If you do happen to get any interviews/recruitment visits while you're still in attendance, make sure you wear a suit, shine your shoes, and have a fresh haircut (which you should already have when you start the academy anyway).
      Yes it's one of the shorter academies in the state but it will get the job done and get me P.O.S.T. certified. From the 2 people I have known that have been through and talking to some others, it's a very well run academy and they cram a lot of into at you from what I understand. I can't speak for other departments but I know the average FTO program at all my local agencies runs about an additional 16 weeks. Anyways thanks for the advice! I'll try to stay focused on just the academy for now and yes they will cut our hair the night before the academy starts! It's a para-military academy run by my college.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13360 users online. 471 members and 12889 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X